Flashing MK802 IIIS With Finless Via VirtualBox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flashing MK802 IIIS With Finless Via VirtualBox

Been trying to flash the MK802 IIS with the Finless 1.5 ROM which was made for the iMito MX1 but cannot get the device detected properly. Attempting to do this on a Ubuntu 12.04 laptop (Tohsiba Tecra M9) running a 32bit XP virtual machine in VirtualBox (ver 4.2.4).

Have the device powered via the laptop by connecting the cable from the device's OTG port to the laptop's USB port on the right hand side (has 2 ports). On the left hand side there is a single port.

Ideally I would like to use a version of the Finless ROM Manager for Linux since it would completely avoid any possible complications with using a VirtualBox VM, thus making the process of flashing ROMs much easier. If I run "lsusb" on the host machine the following devices are listed:

==========================================
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 006 Device 002: ID 0483:2016 SGS Thomson Microelectronics Fingerprint Reader
    Bus 002 Device 005: ID 2207:0000
    ==========================================

Very confused by the 7 hubs listed as the laptop only has one. I wonder if the left USB port is ver 2 as opposed to the two USB ports on the right which are ver 1.1?

Is the last entry for the Mini PC? VirtualBox has the device listed as rockchip Rickomagic [0222]. Both machines (guest and host) can read the contents of the internal memory on the device (via mass storage), but not at the same time since only one machine can have the device mounted.

Since the Finless ROM Manager needs to automate the power management of the device (eg reboot) it wouldn't make much sense to have the device powered separately via the DC port. So the power needs to be supplied by the OTG port.
    Last edited by digiPixel; 01-19-2013, 20:19. Reason: Added additional info on physical connections

Correction on the application being used. It is called "Finless ROM Flash Tool" (ROM Flash Tool.exe) not "Finless ROM Manager". Tried on the other ports including the one on the left hand side but to no avail.

Seems very strange that Win XP knows what driver to use as soon as the device was virtually connected in the guest machine. Could there be a possible driver issue in XP?

Comment

Does the device have to be in flash mode in order to properly install the driver for XP? Just to clarify things the host machine is the physical laptop running Ubuntu 12.04. Guest machine is the VirtualBox virtual machine running Win XP.
      Last edited by digiPixel; 01-19-2013, 22:05. Reason: Added clarification on guest and host machines

Comment

Seems as though the specific driver for the device has been automatically installed by Win XP (don't need to go through the driver install section of the readme). In Device Manager there are 4 new entries - rockchip_usb x2 & Generic volume x2. Very puzzled as to why the flash tool cannot detect the device, really weird.

Comment

What your seeing is standard removable drives when you turn on USB connection. You need to put the tablet in flash mode before you can install the flash drivers. No, Windows XP does not have those built in!

Please read the README in my ROM kit as it explains all of this.

Bob
          "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
          "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
          "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
          "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
          "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
          "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
          "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
          "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
          "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Right now I am out of ideas on getting the device detection to work in VirtualBox . Ended up having to use a laptop with Win 7 on it in order to install the Finless 1.5 ROM (made for the iMito MX1) for the MK802 IIIS. I do know from previous experience that an Android device can be successfully rooted in a Win XP VM running in VirtualBox (requires detection of the device beforehand just like flashing one), which is the closest I can get towards flashing an Android device.

Would be interested to know if anyone has had any luck in flashing a ROM for a Rockchip device in a Win XP/7 VirtualBox VM.

Comment

help me

Hi there,
              Why writes the flash tool the following?

By the "reboot to flash mode":
              "device cannot do flash mode because it is not msc device"

And at "nand erase" writes:
              "download boot fail"
              Shall I tick something by the nfs or ram tab?

The batch tool has an error too:
              By the upgrade and restore write that download boot failed

So here I am. Trash? Or is there any solution? My eyes are hurting from the translations and from the wathching millions of pages. Can you help me please? The device is MK802III. I know it's not matching to this topic, but I'm really desperate yet....

Thank You!

Comment

Working...
              X