how do I get the wifi hotspot to work ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do I get the wifi hotspot to work ?

I have not had any success getting wireless to turn on once I set hotspot settings and in fact can not turn wireless on again in normal mode. A reboot is necessary to get wireless to function again at all after any attempt to set hotspot to on .

ANY HELP is appreciated

why?

Why would you want that? Normally this is used on phones to share their cellular connection over WiFi. Since you don't have a SIM card, 3g or whatever this option can't do what it's supposed to. You can't use this as av WiFi extender.

Comment

Originally posted by Prulleman View Post
      Why would you want that? Normally this is used on phones to share their cellular connection over WiFi. Since you don't have a SIM card, 3g or whatever this option can't do what it's supposed to. You can't use this as av WiFi extender.
      for what I want to do that is irrelevant I want to be able to use it and in fact even without a sim card in it it will tether to my cell phone which is not a smart phone and then it indeed does have internet to share .... but the point is that the hot spot does not always have anything to do with internet ... you assume I do not have a 3g wirless usb modem without knowing when in fact this laptop im on now has a oem cellular modem in fact and I have managed to get it to function with a go phone sim card dont need no stinking data plans here.
      Other than that I also have collection of old wrt54 wireless routers that I flashed with dd-wrt on long ago that I can use as bridges and repeaters and attach hotspots to along the route ..... not looking for speed just a small local intranet to shoot a connection along a stretch of rural neighbors and play in a area that from my house on has not got dsl acess. Any one with a bluetooth phone along the chain and bluetooth dun capability could share a connection faster than the telco dial up here then .

Actually wanted it to be the hub for several projects besides that which need a mutual connecting point to gather the data collected into one feed.
      Last edited by johnblagg; 02-06-2013, 07:26.

Comment

Hot spot

Just guessing here....WiFi hotspot may only work with usb ethernet connected to TV stick.
        Have not tried it , and it's probably no help with your setup??? ( worked on my Noontec A9 TV box )
        You could turn your PC into WiFi hotspot...is it win 7 ,as there are various DIY methods in cyberspace.

As you may already know Windows 7 adds native Virtual WiFi technology from Microsoft Research as mentioned by Long on his blog. This lead me to this MSDN page stating “On Windows 7 and later, the o…

Comment

I was suspecting that might be the case

have not tryed it yet since I dont have a usb to ethernet adapter yet but might tether the cell phone to it with usb and try ....

Googling it turns up the fact that a lot of issues came with jelly bean on this issue for many devices .Not being able to select which wireless band you want for a start .... seems they are trying to slow down the use of this to share internet with it maybe. And may be related to the Miracast standard coming along and dlna?

Comment

Wifi hotspot will only work if you have either an ethernet connection or a 3G/4G connection using a cell phone dongle.

Bob
            "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
            "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
            "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
            "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
            "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
            "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
            "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
            "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
            "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

was thinking that might be the case but hoping other wise ....

Will have to work on seeing how I can work around that it would be nice to use it as a small solar powered access point/reapeater .... wonder if linking two imito's with usb lan would give any results.

I will get out some of the old routers ect and see what happens as soon as I get some usb to ethernet adapters...In fact I have a few old dsl modems that could be used over usb I can use to test also ...

Comment

Did not work for me with Ethernet enabled, froze every time and go stuck.

Comment

I read upon this last night for hours

Originally posted by lifeisfun View Post
                  Did not work for me with Ethernet enabled, froze every time and go stuck.

seems It is a known issue in jellybean and lots of people are reporting this as broken

Comment

Working...
                  X