A different idea for remote control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A different idea for remote control

So I tried the rkremote app, that works great ( when it finds my device ... not sure why it struggles when its all on ethernet? )

Anyway, I have another use case - my MK808 is ( hopefully ) going to be something of a media player and server. I have my music and pictures on an external HD attached to it.

So far, I have SAMBA serving the files ( works, but its slow ... about 600kb sustained for copy )

Anyway, I'm getting off topic. The point is, that for listening to music, I may not really need or want the TV on at all - and I certainly may not want to actually have to be looking at the TV ( maybe I want to change what is playing/volume from the other room or something ).

What would be awesome is if I could see the screen of the MK808 on my phone. ( ie: like a remote desktop )

So I installed a VNC server, and then a VNC client on my phone - generally its the right idea ... however ... the vnc-viewer just can't send the right commands ( back button, dragging/scrolling ). The VNC viewers are generally designed for controlling windows or other machines, not other ANDROID devices.

Anyone played with this idea? Seems like it could offer a more complete and simple solution to remote control - with the added benefit that you could run your TV stick "headless" when you wanted.

Anyway, loving the MK808 and Finless Bob's ROM ( 1.6 ) ... just trying to take it to the next level!

use bubbleupnp on your stick and mobile. now you can serve the content of your external hdd through the stick and control playback with your mobile using the stick as renderer too. no screen needed (thats what dlna is for...)

Comment

Originally posted by alexinc View Post
      use bubbleupnp on your stick and mobile. now you can serve the content of your external hdd through the stick and control playback with your mobile using the stick as renderer too. no screen needed (thats what dlna is for...)
      Cool. I'll check it out. I might have confused the post however - I don't really care about serving it and having control - the stick is plugged directly into my amp's HDMI port - so I want to control the stick directly.

The serving files part was just another thing I do ... I don't have a true client/server setup for media - i never understood it - just have the content attached directly to the player. ( or front-end/back-end ... seems like we can just have "one-end" now! )

The only reason I have it as a file server is so that I can copy content there from my other computers. The idea is that stick is the only thing that runs 24/7 ... since its tiny and draws very little power.

Comment

exactly the way i'm using it, besides my power unit has a remote controlled adapter so i can switch of my android stick via remote too... you need to serve the files through a media server from wherever you want to (most likely the stick as you already have your hdd connected to it). then a control unit software on your mobile simply controls from where the music gets streamed to which device. on that device you need the media renderer, that plays your streaming music - in your case the android stick again... all that tasks can be managed through different software. i recommend bubbleupnp cause it can do all 3 jobs on different devices (windows, android, ...) its worth the cents you may invest! so it can automatically start with your device and has many more option to choose for a satisfying setup. the big advantage is that you can "control your stick" without sending any "picture information" through your network, which may slow it down and is totally unnecessary when just listening and controlling music.

Comment

exactly the way i'm using it, besides my power unit has a remote controlled adapter so i can switch of my android stick via remote too... you need to serve the files through a media server from wherever you want to (most likely the stick as you already have your hdd connected to it). then a control unit software on your mobile simply controls from where the music gets streamed to which device. on that device you need the media renderer, that plays your streaming music - in your case the android stick again... all that tasks can be managed through different software. i recommend bubbleupnp cause it can do all 3 jobs on different devices (windows, android, ...) its worth the cents you may invest! so it can automatically start with your device and has many more option to choose for a satisfying setup. the big advantage is that you can "control your stick" without sending any "picture information" through your network, which may slow it down and is totally unnecessary when just listening and controlling music.

Now you've got me interested. I'll check into it for sure. The remote controlled power adapter is something i've thought about too ... I think I can live with it on all the time, but then again...it might be nice to switch on and off remotely.

thanks for the tips.

Comment

you're welcome. i'm going to take my well deserved sleep on the european side now, but if there are any questions just go ahead, will answer asap.

Comment

you're welcome. i'm going to take my well deserved sleep on the european side now, but if there are any questions just go ahead, will answer asap.
              Well, I'm cheap to a fault, so I got this working using Pixel Media Server ( mobile DMS ) as the server/renderer, and Media House as the controller.

I think it works about like how you described. I also found the settings in droidvnc client to make control better if i do want to do it that way too.

anyway, thanks for your help in pointing me in the right direction here. I suppose if I got XBMC loaded, it would work as the server/renderer too?

Comment

Working...
              X