Something weird happened to my 701C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something weird happened to my 701C

This morning while I was surf the web with my 701c running Elektric's v2 rom, the screen just up and whited out. So, I held the power button down to shut it down, figuring it was just a glitch. Well I tried to power it up but got no display, or so I thought. The screen was blacked out, the only reason I noticed it was I was putting the tablet back in my laptop bag, and saw the screen was lit but black, so I tried to connect to it using adb, it wouldn't recognize it, so I tried pressing the reset button, no dice there. So I was about to give up, and tear the sucker apart, while getting it ready to tear apart I pulled my sd card out, and the tablet started to boot. It booted just fine with the sd card removed. If I try to slide the sd card in it will white out and and freeze. I haven't tried another sd card since all my other sd cards are at home. It's looking like I am having an issue with the sd card reader.

Has anyone heard of this before? I'll update this when I try another sd card. The sd card I was using was a 8GB Scandisk card, so it wasn't a cheap one, and everything was running fine until this morning, I haven't installed anything for the last week, so it's probably not a software issue. Another thing I noticed was that the area by the sd card reader was getting alot warmer than normal, almost hot to the touch. I'll try another sd card, if that doesn't work I guess I'll open this sucker up and make sure I don't have a pinched or broken wire inside.

Just posted this as information more than anything else

Originally posted by jtintle View Post
    This morning while I was surf the web with my 701c running Elektric's v2 rom, the screen just up and whited out. So, I held the power button down to shut it down, figuring it was just a glitch. Well I tried to power it up but got no display, or so I thought. The screen was blacked out, the only reason I noticed it was I was putting the tablet back in my laptop bag, and saw the screen was lit but black, so I tried to connect to it using adb, it wouldn't recognize it, so I tried pressing the reset button, no dice there. So I was about to give up, and tear the sucker apart, while getting it ready to tear apart I pulled my sd card out, and the tablet started to boot. It booted just fine with the sd card removed. If I try to slide the sd card in it will white out and and freeze. I haven't tried another sd card since all my other sd cards are at home. It's looking like I am having an issue with the sd card reader.

Has anyone heard of this before? I'll update this when I try another sd card. The sd card I was using was a 8GB Scandisk card, so it wasn't a cheap one, and everything was running fine until this morning, I haven't installed anything for the last week, so it's probably not a software issue. Another thing I noticed was that the area by the sd card reader was getting alot warmer than normal, almost hot to the touch. I'll try another sd card, if that doesn't work I guess I'll open this sucker up and make sure I don't have a pinched or broken wire inside.

Just posted this as information more than anything else
    Wow, that's an interesting one-never heard that before...I would definitely try a different card (the hope being that it's just the card that's bad, not the reader!).
    https://public.bay.livefilestore.com...ion.png?psid=1

Comment

Originally posted by elektrik View Post
      Wow, that's an interesting one-never heard that before...I would definitely try a different card (the hope being that it's just the card that's bad, not the reader!).
      exactly, but at least its just a card problem and not a dead tablet like I thought it was when it first happened

Comment

exactly, but at least its just a card problem and not a dead tablet like I thought it was when it first happened
        so it *was* the card then? I hope so-you and I seem to be the 'only' active PMID701C owners here lol.

Comment

Originally posted by elektrik View Post
          so it *was* the card then? I hope so-you and I seem to be the 'only' active PMID701C owners here lol.
          I don't know, there are a few lurking around..can you see how many times your Rom got downloaded? That could give a rough estimate of how many are at least lurking

Comment

I don't know, there are a few lurking around..can you see how many times your Rom got downloaded? That could give a rough estimate of how many are at least lurking
            no, sadly only post view count

Comment

Been lurking around for awhile now, love my pmid701c

Comment

Originally posted by morlog View Post
                Been lurking around for awhile now, love my pmid701c
                Yay, we're not alone! hehe. Yes, I still love my 701C even more than the other ones I got for my kiddo (she has a 701i x13 and a pmid4311)....

....however....
                I just got a 'broken' PMID703C from **** for $40. His idea of broken was that it worked but that it was stuck on the security screen, lol.

Hopefully one flash later and I'm in business :-)

Comment

the 701c seems to have a bit more to it than the other 701 tablets. Ithink its one of the dev boards they were pushing as competition to the rasberry pi. The circuit board is the same size and has a lot of the same features.

Comment

Originally posted by morlog View Post
                    the 701c seems to have a bit more to it than the other 701 tablets. Ithink its one of the dev boards they were pushing as competition to the rasberry pi. The circuit board is the same size and has a lot of the same features.
                    makes one wonder doesn't it

Comment

Add me to the list of 701c elektric users as of earlier today. Rom seems to be working great, I was here a while ago when this tablet first came out and decided to start messing with it again. I did have a question. I lost my volume controls and the flashing arrows when downloading and not sure when. Think they disappeared together. Not sure if I changed a setting or what. Other than that and even with that this rom is sweet. I was going to get a newer tablet but this has made the Polaroid useful once again.

EDIT: Got the arrows back, was the notifications, still looking for the volume controls.

EDIT: They came back, weird.
                      Last edited by Bruiserman; 03-14-2013, 02:02.

Comment

701ix13 elektrik user here

Comment

Another lurker here... just updated two 701C's to your 0.2 Rom. Wow, so much better. I had rooted one a while ago, and had about given up on it performing better when I stumbled on your thread. I would be running 0.3 if I were braver and saw it before I flashed them. May flash mine to see how much better it is. The second is for my mom, so reliability over performance is the mandate.

Thanks for all your work on these tablets Elektrik.

Comment

Working...
                          X