Wireless Internet## A Tribute and Salute with some history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Internet## A Tribute and Salute with some history

I have just started in the Android community Sept of last year (2012) Although I am no stranger to computers (getting started in the early 80's when programs were on cassettes) I have a diploma in computer science from 1991 when windows was 123 and excell was Lotus.

With that said I want to share something with all of you. See the link below and scroll down to the article about Clipper3.The article is from 1998.

I had to distinct pleasure of being Schooled on Wireless technology by Ransom himself, after he sold the company he created for wireless internet (it was available in Springfield for many many years before anyone like ClearWire was heard of and got started from)
    You see I married into his Family, my wife being his niece.
    His love of HAM radio brought him into this area of his life. I salute you Ransom Southerland. (Vietnam Vet, Father, Brother, Husband, Grandfather, Uncle and Friend to many including myself) We all miss you.crying.
    I am not sure what he loved most other than family. He was a helicopter pilot, an innovater of technology (author of many tutorial CD's) a great Wood worker, Farmer, loved music and played guitar.

I hope many of you enjoyed this, and yes, my Avatar really is me, a characture done in 1999 of me working on a comp.

This is For Ransom Southerland. May you live in our hearts forever.

Jim
    MK808 TapaTalk II

Re: Wireless Internet## A Tribute and Salute with some history

Heyy, i started with computers in those time too, starting to make programs in basic, in a Sinclair spectrum 48kb, after I got an Amstrad with 64kb, and when we got the powerful 286... Wow what far away...
    REMEMBER, YOUR FEEDBACK IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US.
    My devices:
    Minix Neo X7; Minix Neo X8-H , Minix Neo Z64W & Z64 (Sponsored by Minix)
    MK902 & MK902II(Sponsored by RKM)
    Beelink M8B & Beelink R89 (Sponsored by Beelink)
    Tronsmart VEGA S89H (Sponsored by
    Gearbest.com)
    MELE-PCG03 (Sponsored by Gearbest.com) Discount Coupon:MPCG03
    Ainol Intel Z3735 MiniPC(Sponsored by Gearbest.com)
    Thanks to them I can try to support your devices http://freaktab.com/core/images/smilies/wink.png

Comment

Originally posted by leolas View Post
      Heyy, i started with computers in those time too, starting to make programs in basic, in a Sinclair spectrum 48kb, after I got an Amstrad with 64kb, and when we got the powerful 286... Wow what far away...
      thanks...seems like we are not alone...900supersport also has a history as im sure alot of us do.. this is my new home away from home

Jim
      MK808 TapaTalk II

Comment

Great teacher you had.
        REMEMBER, YOUR FEEDBACK IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US.
        My devices:
        Minix Neo X7; Minix Neo X8-H , Minix Neo Z64W & Z64 (Sponsored by Minix)
        MK902 & MK902II(Sponsored by RKM)
        Beelink M8B & Beelink R89 (Sponsored by Beelink)
        Tronsmart VEGA S89H (Sponsored by
        Gearbest.com)
        MELE-PCG03 (Sponsored by Gearbest.com) Discount Coupon:MPCG03
        Ainol Intel Z3735 MiniPC(Sponsored by Gearbest.com)
        Thanks to them I can try to support your devices http://freaktab.com/core/images/smilies/wink.png

Comment

Originally posted by leolas View Post
          Great teacher you had.
          Great Man.Thanks

Jim
          MK808 TapaTalk II

Comment

Yes I won't see 21 again. Remember being excited by punched tape as a child while visiting the radio telescope at Jodrel Bank. Used apple 11e, Commodore Pet, BBC Micro, and Sinclair spectrums in first job. In those days plotting a Mandelbrot set on a computer would take about 8 or 9 hours.
            900Supersport

900supersports FreakTab rkROMkitchen

900supersports guide to working-RK-ROMs

Under Construction 900supersports guide to working MediaTek ROMS

Struggling for time at the moment, but will try and drop by when I can.

If you would like to support my ROM development then please visit my Google site donate page where you can make a paypal donation

freaktab developer

Proof that you're never to old to learn. Sometimes too old to remember though.

Comment

Originally posted by 900supersport View Post
              Yes I won't see 21 again. Remember being excited by punched tape as a child while visiting the radio telescope at Jodrel Bank. Used apple 11e, Commodore Pet, BBC Micro, and Sinclair spectrums in first job. In those days plotting a Mandelbrot set on a computer would take about 8 or 9 hours.
              Getting excited when we got color for our dot matrix printers and started making color logos on Unix

Jim
              XT907 Tapatalk II

Comment

God... do I dare go into my history at 53?

We actually do have another post around here discussing it.

Also remember I work for Xerox and had access to PARC Research systems.... So way back in the late 70's I had access to shit you guys only dreamed of then. Like using a mouse, window system, etc all on RISC architecture too

But from a "home" hobby I got into it on the 6502 processor first. Only later did I learn the other architectures, etc.

You know what is funny though. Back then I thought the Motorola procs were far suprior to Intel! In fact I still do to some extent. Less operators and more operands and the limits of how to use them was only in your imagination! They also did not have memory paging and could address directly more memory. Intel had that stupid paging system which at the machine language level was a pain in the ASS. Of course all that is now hidden as who develops in machine code anymore?

Bob
                "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
                "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                  God... do I dare go into my history at 53?

We actually do have another post around here discussing it.

Also remember I work for Xerox and had access to PARC Research systems.... So way back in the late 70's I had access to shit you guys only dreamed of then. Like using a mouse, window system, etc all on RISC architecture too

But from a "home" hobby I got into it on the 6502 processor first. Only later did I learn the other architectures, etc.

You know what is funny though. Back then I thought the Motorola procs were far suprior to Intel! In fact I still do to some extent. Less operators and more operands and the limits of how to use them was only in your imagination! They also did not have memory paging and could address directly more memory. Intel had that stupid paging system which at the machine language level was a pain in the ASS. Of course all that is now hidden as who develops in machine code anymore?

Bob
                  Thanks Bob, glad to know that I am not the only Dinosaur here. he he he . Don't rightly know why I had the compulsion to write this today, I think it is right at a year now that he is gone. Funny how the old world turns. Like I said earlier, I have found another place to call home and people like you make it worth while. Your alot like Ransom

Jim
                  MK808 TapaTalk II

Comment

Working...
                  X