HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP!

I bought an Imito MX2 in January, and have been very disapointed with it. I cannot get it to stream any videos that are of watchable quality, let alone HD quality. I have tried it over Plex, XBMC, ES file explorer, no luck. All I get it jittery, unwatchable video. I have struggled to find any technical support anywhere, so luckily for me I found you guys!

I decided to finally rule out my wifi as the culprit (although I have already upgraded my router to a nice new wireless N router to try to fix the issue) so I bought a USB ethernet adaptor. Whenever I plug in the ethernet cable, the unit powers down and stays down. Once I unplug the ethernet cable it will power back on in a few minutes.

I am at my wits end with this thing - If anyone can shed some light on the issue I would greatly appreciate it. I am about an inch away from scrapping it and buying a Minix Neo X5, although I am now scared that an Android mini PC cannot do the things it has been rumoured to do.

Thanks,

Originally posted by rynno1974 View Post
    I bought a USB ethernet adaptor. Whenever I plug in the ethernet cable, the unit powers down and stays down. Once I unplug the ethernet cable it will power back on in a few minutes.
    You can try these two things. They worked from me.
    1- Plug you USB ethernet adaptor into a USB hub. It needs to be powered.
    2- Flash the new Finless 1.7 ROM

XBMC runs much better for me after making those 2 changes.

Comment

Re: HELP!

Thanks. Two questions:

1) if I plug in a USB hub, can I use that to power the mx2? I don't have an endless amount of walk plugs available, so I don't went to have a powered hub and the device plugged directly to the wall.

2) are there some detailed instructions on how to flash Roms on this thing? I downloaded the ROM, but am not sure how to flash it since my ROM manager app won't work on it.

Thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Comment

If you've download the ROM there is a readme.txt which gives full instructions on how to flash, You are probably having problems putting your device into flash mode. Try the alternative tool which is also in the flash download. If you get stuck I'm sure you will get plenty of help from here.

Comment

Thanks. I had been hoping to flash the rom directly on the stick without a PC, but broke down and read the reame and flashed it properly. Worked like a charm, no issues with flashing the ROM. I picked up a USB hub, but it didnt make any difference. As I was hooking it up I realized that using a hub didnt make any sense in my case anyway. I was already plugging the MX2 into the wall, so it should have had good clean power. When I plug the ethernet cable into it, it shuts down. As soon as I unplug it, it powers back up.

I cannot even stream a poor quality SD episode of Modern Family (half hour) without a half a dozen stutters and stops. I am using XBMCandroid with MX player as the external player. I have a CIFS setup to my desktop PC that is holding all my content. The worst part is my Boxee Box with ZERO fiddling is sitting upstairs in my bedroom streaming everything with no problems.

I want to like this thing, but I am really tired of screwing around with this thing - I juist want it to work with content that is watchable. There is no point in having a 60" LED HD TV in your living room if you can only watch ultra grainy low quality content.

Comment

Is it possible you have a screwy ethernet cable and it is shorting out the adapter?

This should not happen unless something is shorting somewhere and pulling full load on the 5V power.

Bob
            "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
            "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
            "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
            "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
            "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
            "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
            "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
            "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
            "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Good question. I will run a new cable and test it out. Lets hope you are right.....

Comment

OK, so stupid user error on the ethernet front. Looks like I picked up a usb over ethernet extender instead of the Ethernet to USB adaptor I was after. Looks like its back to the store for me, hopefully that will rule out the network speed as not my issue.

I am still concerned that even with the wired ethernet my buffering issues will still be there, but fingers crossed I am wrong!

Comment

Ok, so I picked up the right dongle, and voila! Full HD streaming video. Now I am not sure if the issuewas with the mx2 wifi or my home network, but problem solved. I have gone from wanting to smash it to loving it in a couple of minutes

Thanks for the help guys,it is much appreciated!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Ok, I spoke a bit too soon. While it is streaming video like a champ, google play and google plus refuse to believe it is connected to the internet. Youtube works fine, and the browser will browse, but keeps giving me security warnings. Any thoughts on why it would be doing this?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Restarted it, connected to WiFi for a minute to download something from Google Play, then reconnected. All working perfect now. Of course perfect is never good enough right? Time to tune it in

Comment

Working...
                      X