Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendation: Should I buy a mk808 or a Neo x5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the better one?
    I like about the Neo x5 that it is a box with all the extra ports.
    But is there a similarly strong community with good customroms and developement?
    Also 1080p playback should run smoothly.
    Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by .jan; 03-12-2013, 22:22.

I bought MK808B and I think it's a good device.

It's also cheaper than Neo X5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

Originally posted by .jan View Post
      What is the better one?
      I like about the Neo x5 that it is a box with all the extra ports.
      But is there a similarly strong community with good customroms and developement?
      Also 1080p playback should run smoothly.
      Thanks for your help!
      Comparing the MK808 to the X5 is like comparing a VW Rabbit to a BMW X5 ... if you get my drift !

Comment

Depends of your usage, if you're only doing some basic stuff, the MK808 will do the job. I bought the MK808 for testing purposes but ended using it everyday! Now I want to connect a lot of stuff but i need a powered usb hub, ethernet usb port, etc. It already looks like a mess with all the wires...

Buy the Neo x5 if you can afford it, im probably gonna buy a x5 and put the MK on another tv since its so cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by mini-pea-si View Post
          Depends of your usage, if you're only doing some basic stuff, the MK808 will do the job. I bought the MK808 for testing purposes but ended using it everyday! Now I want to connect a lot of stuff but i need a powered usb hub, ethernet usb port, etc. It already looks like a mess with all the wires...

Buy the Neo x5 if you can afford it, im probably gonna buy a x5 and put the MK on another tv since its so cheap.
          That is exactly what I am thinking. With a powered hub and ethernet adapter it nearly costs the same as the x5. So it depends on what I want to connect to the device.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Comment

Originally posted by .jan View Post
            That is exactly what I am thinking. With a powered hub and ethernet adapter it nearly costs the same as the x5. So it depends on what I want to connect to the device.

Thanks for all the replies so far!
            I never understood why people would choose the MK808 variant over the Neo G4 at a similar cost. If you want to go the cheaper yet still capable or even more capable route the G4 is the better choice over the MK808. Just the G4's WiFi capabilities already out shines the MK808B or even the X5's for that matter ! X5 uses Broadcom WiFi chipset which limits it's link speed to 65Mbps, the G4 on the other hand uses the Realtek WiFi chipset which has a link speed limit of 150Mbps !

I can find powered USB hubs here for $6ea and ethernet dongle for under $8 if I really needed it. I would prefer to use a hub regardless if it had an extra USB port or not due to wear of plugging and unplugging.

Comment

Originally posted by EdT View Post
              I never understood why people would choose the MK808 variant over the Neo G4 at a similar cost.
              The MK808 has a much larger user base. A few months back I purchased an iMito MX1. After several exchanges I finally got fed up and just got a refund for the iMito then purchased an MK808. Just look at the number of posts on MK808 threads versus the other android sticks. It is much easier to find answers to any problem issues typically by just reading, without the necessity to even post a question. Im lazy and more than willing to let others solve my problems. Just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Daytpn56 View Post
                The MK808 has a much larger user base. A few months back I purchased an iMito MX1. After several exchanges I finally got fed up and just got a refund for the iMito then purchased an MK808. Just look at the number of posts on MK808 threads versus the other android sticks. It is much easier to find answers to any problem issues typically by just reading, without the necessity to even post a question. Im lazy and more than willing to let others solve my problems. Just my 2 cents worth.
                I was in that boat a month ago, deciding between the iMito MX1 and the NEO G4, since I needed to buy a dozen units and didn't want to be stuck with a dozen headaches. The G4 fianlly won out in my evaluation and I couldn't be happier or more correct with my evaluation. I like the iMito, but then found out there is no real company that represents, no company website and there could be many counterfeit variants of it floating around, the real thing that ticked me off with the iMito was that it came with the male HDMI style meaning I had to buy expensive female to male HDMI cable if I wanted the unit to be in the front of my monitor for easy access.

Comment

Originally posted by EdT View Post
                  I had to buy expensive female to male HDMI cable if I wanted the unit to be in the front of my monitor for easy access.
                  I keep a few of these $2 female/female HDMI gender changers laying around, as well as, some for USB. I don't like the idea of plugging/unplugging cables from any of these Android sticks or even from the back of my televisions. I got them when I had the iMito, but I still use them now that I have the MK808.

Does the G4 come rooted from the vendor?

Comment

Originally posted by Daytpn56 View Post
                    I keep a few of these $2 female/female HDMI gender changers laying around, as well as, some for USB. I don't like the idea of plugging/unplugging cables from any of these Android sticks or even from the back of my televisions. I got them when I had the iMito, but I still use them now that I have the MK808.

Does the G4 come rooted from the vendor?
                    I know about the adapters and such, but I am a purist and like the fewest possible connections if possible when it comes to signal emitting connections, but then again I use to work in the cabling and harnesses industry for defense and aerospace which made me very fussy when it comes to these things.

I always use another cable with a female jack for ports that require frequent plugging and unplugging so it will not wear and deteriorate the ports on the device itself.

The G4 does not come rooted, but so far I have not the need to root it for any of the apps I require. There are many G4 and and X5 owners with problems once they rooted the FW and uploaded God know what apps on their devices and they are blaming Minix for something that is out of their range of control.

Comment

Working...
                    X