How to root + recovery your Neo X5 without a computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to root + recovery your Neo X5 without a computer

This is for everyone that wants to easily root and install CWM on their Neo X5 without having to go through the hassle of hooking it up to a computer and downloading/installing 3rd party tools + drivers. So far, every tutorial I've come across suggests using a comp must be done so I thought it would be a good idea to write up how I accomplished this without all that hassle.

All steps below can be done directly from the device itself -- all you need is a file explorer and browser of your choice:

1) Download CWM for the Neo X5 here: http://androtab.info/clockworkmod/rockchip/rk3066/
    2) Download a CWM compatible pre-rooted ROM of your choice. Top contenders are:

3) Using a file explorer of your choice, move the CWM recovery zip that you just downloaded in Step#1 to the root of your /sdcard directory and rename it "update.zip"

4) You should now automatically be prompted to install the update using the system's stock updater process -- Accept the update.

5) Your system should automatically install the update and should automatically boot into CWM when done.
    5a) (Optional) Once in recovery you can make a nandroid backup of your current stock rom.

6) Using CWM, use the options to install a zip for /sdcard and select the zip for the ROM you downloaded in Step#2

7) After installation is done, go back to the main CWM menu. Select "Wipe Cache" and then:
    7a) Recommended: "Wipe Data". This will wipe all your apps and settings but ensure that it is a clean install.
    or
    7b) "Advanced -> Wipe Dalvik Cache". This will preserve your data and is known as a dirty flash. It should work but there is always a risk of a bootloop upon reboot.

8) Reboot the system and enjoy. You should now be rooted with CWM installed.

Credits:
    - Finless Bob and onelovekir for their ROMs
    - leolas for his tutorial on how to create a flashable CWM zip
    - petrus for applying leolas' tutorial to the Finless 1.2b rom so I wouldn't have to
    - _fun for porting CWM to the Neo X5
    - Minix for creating an awesome device

Wow thanks a lot - can't wait to try this!!

Comment

How to goto recovery incase of CWM failure?

In case going to recovery fails through CWM, some times due to some hardware issues etc, can we use RKTOOL through HARD RESET (pinching the reset button) to get into recovery and flash either original image files or custom ROM's?

Comment

Originally posted by prm View Post
        In case going to recovery fails through CWM, some times due to some hardware issues etc, can we use RKTOOL through HARD RESET (pinching the reset button) to get into recovery and flash either original image files or custom ROM's?

I've never tried but I don't see why it wouldn't

Comment

Re: How to root + recovery your Neo X5 without a computer

Originally posted by prm View Post
          Yes it works
          REMEMBER, YOUR FEEDBACK IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US.
          My devices:
          Minix Neo X7; Minix Neo X8-H , Minix Neo Z64W & Z64 (Sponsored by Minix)
          MK902 & MK902II(Sponsored by RKM)
          Beelink M8B & Beelink R89 (Sponsored by Beelink)
          Tronsmart VEGA S89H (Sponsored by
          Gearbest.com)
          MELE-PCG03 (Sponsored by Gearbest.com) Discount Coupon:MPCG03
          Ainol Intel Z3735 MiniPC(Sponsored by Gearbest.com)
          Thanks to them I can try to support your devices http://freaktab.com/core/images/smilies/wink.png

Comment

problem with update?!

hello, please, can somebody can tell me this - is this procedure also for stock firmware, or x5 must be rooted or something else before? i tryed to apply it to stock fw, but no success.

Comment

Yes, I did this with a completely stock X5 right from the box.

Which part did you have trouble with specifically? I have heard on other boards that people had difficulty installing CWM because they were putting their update.zip file on an external sdcard. It must go on the internal sdcard (/mnt/sdcard)

Comment

Originally posted by Artimis View Post

Which part did you have trouble with specifically? I have heard on other boards that people had difficulty installing CWM because they were putting their update.zip file on an external sdcard. It must go on the internal sdcard (/mnt/sdcard)

Same problem here, I've been trying both internal and external.
                Any Idea ?

thanks

Comment

hm.... first, i downloaded on pc both files - cwm4x5 and modded update file.
                  putted them on root od _external_ sd. renamed cwm.zip to update.zip, as said in tutorial, x5 automatically recognized update file. started update, x5 rebooted, and showed me "laying android with rerd/orange triangle with exclamation mark (!)". and i let them to do the work, but nothing happened.
                  after that, i turned off x5, power on, and then also recognized cwm.zip/update.zip, and then all went ok. x5 entered in cwm recovery mode, i do all browsing trough menus, i know procedure, i have android phones,so no trouble there). but, after i pointed to "select zip file from sd external sd" first it didn't recognized it at all. i supposed that i do NOT need to rename it to update.zip.
                  and then started trouble.
                  i have installed cwm, but i do not know procedure how to reboot in it. i installed one of my older programs for reboot/power off/recovery reboot procedures, but they didn't worked.
                  as i have installed cwm, now i deleted his update.zip file, and renamed update1.2b.zip to update.zip. again, x5 recognized it as update file, offered update, but error - it is unrecognized.
                  ok, now i have cwm which i do not how to enter/boot in it, and i have update file which is not recognized from system.
                  next, i get two different sd cards - one for cwm.zip and second for update1.2b.zip. both renamed to update zip.
                  rebooted first time with cwm.zip and re-installed it. all went ok.
                  replaced sd card with fw update, browse trough menues to update.zip, started update process, but then there was error "update file not signed".

pass all procedure few times, no luck any time.
                  at the end, i installed it as Finless said, and no problem at all. after FW update, i updated also cwm trough Finless program and no problem there.

so, from my POV, first, is it possible to select FWupdate.zip from external sd and/or is it well signed or not?

second, maybe it really IS problem (and solution) to copy both files to internal storage and do procedure from there.

i'll try nex time when new fw will be realised to try update on this way, w/o connecting to pc.

but, still, i do not know how to enter/reboot x5 to cwm recovery mode?! on phone, tablet there are some key combo to press, but here - what? flash mode (reset+power on) is AFAIK for standard flash mode, which also use Finless for his firmwares.

so, if problem is really with internal-external sd card, then, there is no problem then. ;-) but, still, what about that "no signed file" error message?

Comment

There is an option in CWM to turn off signature checking to avoid the signed file error you described. Usually it allows for unsigned files by default though.

Im not sure about how to reboot into recovery without root but upon successful flash of cwm, you should automatically be booted into recovery.

Both the cwm zip (which should be named "update.zip") and the rom zip (which can be named anything you want). Should both be under /mnt/sdcard (aka. /sdcard which is the internal storage on this device) for simplicity.

Comment

Originally posted by chtamina View Post
                      Same problem here, I've been trying both internal and external.
                      Any Idea ?

thanks
                      Wondering if the CWM zip was a bad download (MD5 mismatch?)

Not sure why/where there are complications. I've performed this procedure on a few devices and have not yet run into any issues.

Comment

I've been experiencing issues with this method and my x5
                        I've been able to install cwm and make a nandroid backup, but within the
                        recovery couldn't install finless ROM because it gave errors.
                        Maybe its because of my firmware?
                        kernel
                        build
                        2012-01-16.4.1.009
                        rk30sdk-eng 4.1.1 JRO03.eng.root.20130116.110927

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by chtamina View Post
                          I've been experiencing issues with this method and my x5
                          I've been able to install cwm and make a nandroid backup, but within the
                          recovery couldn't install finless ROM because it gave errors.
                          Maybe its because of my firmware?
                          kernel
                          build
                          2012-01-16.4.1.009
                          rk30sdk-eng 4.1.1 JRO03.eng.root.20130116.110927

thanks
                          If that is the case:
                          1) Make sure the finless ROM you downloaded is the CWM flashable formatted one. I believe the rom links in his thread are for the standard install method (which require a computer and 3rd party tools).
                          2) If you did download the CWM formatted version (e.g. from the links I posted), please check to ensure that the MD5 is correct and that it wasn't a bad download.

Comment

There is an option in CWM to turn off signature checking to avoid the signed file error you described. Usually it allows for unsigned files by default though.

Im not sure about how to reboot into recovery without root but upon successful flash of cwm, you should automatically be booted into recovery.

Both the cwm zip (which should be named "update.zip") and the rom zip (which can be named anything you want). Should both be under /mnt/sdcard (aka. /sdcard which is the internal storage on this device) for simplicity.
                            must admit that i didin't see that option for disable checking signature. maybe i'll find it if i could enter cwm _after_ rebooting.

about rebooting into cwm _after_ installation, yes it does reboot, but after that it gave me error, and i rebooted it normaly and couldn't reboot it again into cwm.

about renaming, all ok, no trouble there, but as wrote early, there was error with signing update file.

and at last, i suppose that i should first copy both files to internal sd, not external (sd card). maybe there is problem. but as far i can see, there are some more forum members with troubles. so now i'm not sure what is problem.

maybe with some new frmware update, this method will work.

but, i'd really want to see some method to boot into cwm, but w/o reboot.apk by petrus.

Comment

Originally posted by vikidroid View Post
                              must admit that i didin't see that option for disable checking signature. maybe i'll find it if i could enter cwm _after_ rebooting.

about rebooting into cwm _after_ installation, yes it does reboot, but after that it gave me error, and i rebooted it normaly and couldn't reboot it again into cwm.

about renaming, all ok, no trouble there, but as wrote early, there was error with signing update file.

and at last, i suppose that i should first copy both files to internal sd, not external (sd card). maybe there is problem. but as far i can see, there are some more forum members with troubles. so now i'm not sure what is problem.

maybe with some new frmware update, this method will work.

but, i'd really want to see some method to boot into cwm, but w/o reboot.apk by petrus.
                              To enter recovery you can use from terminal emulator:
                              Code:
                              su
                              reboot recovery
                              Or to reboot to bootloader:
                              Code:
                              su
                              reboot bootloader
                              If your cwm files gives errors, i dont suggest you to disable signature and intall them, cause I am almost sure that downloads fails and zip are corrupted or your sdcard is bad and corrupt the zip.
                              Try from internal sd or other microsd.
                              REMEMBER, YOUR FEEDBACK IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US.
                              My devices:
                              Minix Neo X7; Minix Neo X8-H , Minix Neo Z64W & Z64 (Sponsored by Minix)
                              MK902 & MK902II(Sponsored by RKM)
                              Beelink M8B & Beelink R89 (Sponsored by Beelink)
                              Tronsmart VEGA S89H (Sponsored by
                              Gearbest.com)
                              MELE-PCG03 (Sponsored by Gearbest.com) Discount Coupon:MPCG03
                              Ainol Intel Z3735 MiniPC(Sponsored by Gearbest.com)
                              Thanks to them I can try to support your devices http://freaktab.com/core/images/smilies/wink.png

Comment

Working...
                              X