Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mele PCG03

Mele PCG03 Specifications
    • Processor: Intel Atom Z3735F (quad-core, 1.33 GHz), Burst freq up to 1.83 GHz
    • GPU: Intel HD Graphics
    • RAM: 2GB DDR3 1333MHz
    • Storage: 32GB eMMC, SD card slot up to 512GB
    • LAN: 10/100Mbps Ethernet
    • Connectivity: 802.11n WiFi, Bluetooth
    • Video Out: HDMI 1.4, VGA (Dual Monitor Support)
    • Audio Out: HDMI, 3.5mm headphone jack
    • USB: 3 x USB 2.0
    • Extras: VESA Mounting
    • Other: Power button, power LED
    • Power Supply: 12V/1A
    • Dimensions: 150 x 120 x 40 mm
    • Weight: 360 grams

I have just taken possession of a Mele PCG03 (Thanks Gearbest). I will be doing a review of it by the end of next week once I have had time to play with it properly but just thought I would share some initial thoughts.

The build quality on this thing is awesome and a lot better than what I am used to, the charger also seems a step up from normal.

There is also some sort of passive cooling on board but until I can get it open and see exactly what is there and what the temps do under load I wont comment on that too much but it does look better than the Pipo and Voyo in that department.

The one thing that could really make this shine is the fact that it is modular. This means there is a possibility to just switch out the board with the CPU/RAM on and keep all the rest of the box. This would make for a far cheaper upgrade if they follow it up and release just the board.

Really want to spend some quality time with this but the kids are on holidays and my time is limited. Stay tuned for a full review soon and benchmarks/kodi performance.

Here is the link to Gearbest, I will see if I can get you a discount code.

10% OFF DISCOUNT CODE : MPCG03

P.S. It is black, All black. Not silver, not gold or any other silly colour you can think of. Just Black
    Last edited by Flumpster; 04-03-2015, 08:28.
    To Infinity and Beyond.... XBMC

I have managed to get you a 10% code off from Gearbest for this box.
    Coupon Code: MPCG03

A quick update. I set the box up last night and realized instantly how much I dislike windows 8 so installed windows 10 on there. I have made a driver pack which I backed up from the windows 8 install and I will upload it with the review. ​The whole install and driver installation took about an hour.

Windows 10 is working great on this box and I have it paired up with a Logitech K400 keyboard/touchpad which makes everything a lot more convenient when used in lounge/bedroom.

Then I spent hours trying to work out why I had a white outline around all of my text, it really messed with my eyes and even tho I could find others with the problem on the web no one could come up with a fixable solution. It was only when I went into the bios and seen that it was happening in there as well that I knew it was nothing to do with windows. It turned out that it was because I was using a HD TV and my sharpness was quite high for that input, turning the sharpness down from 55 to under 20 in the TV menu fixed it DOH!.

Managed to get Kodi installed and tested a few formats in it. Before this I went into kodi settings and set automatic framerate switching to "always". The playback was brilliant on the short time I had with it and the TV switched to the correct frequency so that the framerate was always in sync with the refresh rate and super smooth.

This was all done in an hour in kodi tho so I will keep testing over the next week and keep you updated.

Last edited by Flumpster; 04-03-2015, 07:44.

Comment

Here is the driver pack I made for windows 10. I have just fresh installed and tested it with just these drivers and everything is working.

Download GApps, Roms, Kernels, Themes, Firmware, and more. Free file hosting for all Android developers.

Comment

Had a bit more time to play with this box last night and I gotta say I am loving it more and more.

I have replaced the shell and now have kodi set up to launch straight into it when the power is turned on instead of launching explorer.exe. Then I can either shut the box down from in kodi or if I click exit it goes into proper windows. Everything I have played in it so far has been perfect with no stutter or dropped frames. Haven't tested any huge samples yet tho.

Also set up Duos so I can now be into android within a few seconds and I tested plants v zombies and ski safari and a few others and they all played fine. I did change the dpi in Duos settings to 240 or everything is really small on a 1920 screen.

Installed steam and tried the home streaming and it was great over the wired network. Tried 2 of the batman games and the amazing spiderman with a wireless 360 controller and the input lag was hardly noticeable.

Very happy with this box at the moment and will be swapping this out with my main android TV box as soon as the testing is over, Kodi is just so much more responsive and the playback is far smoother.

Comment

Hey Flumpster awesome writeup! Just some observations of my own.. (based on all the info posted so far)

1. I like that case is very roomy. Lots of possible space it seems for cooling solution if needed. Case aesthetics looks nice and sleek. Vesa support looks good.
          2. I like the external antennae vs internal antenna solution.
          3. Looks like Mele is thinking ahead with the way they designed the unit with daughterboard concept. possible that it also helps with cooling.
          4. The dual monitor support is a nice touch. seems this technology is starting to cross over into NUC territory.

I like!

Comment

Originally posted by Ronin View Post
            Hey Flumpster awesome writeup! Just some observations of my own.. (based on all the info posted so far)

1. I like that case is very roomy. Lots of possible space it seems for cooling solution if needed. Case aesthetics looks nice and sleek. Vesa support looks good.
            2. I like the external antennae vs internal antenna solution.
            3. Looks like Mele is thinking ahead with the way they designed the unit with daughterboard concept. possible that it also helps with cooling.
            4. The dual monitor support is a nice touch. seems this technology is starting to cross over into NUC territory.

I like!

1. Lots of room in there for a heatsink if needed. Don't know if it is required yet tho. My next test is heat but can't do that until monday with the kids home from school.

2. What I like is I can leave the antennae in the down position fully so it is hidden when I am using ethernet. My other machines all required you either unscrew it or it had to be raised at an angle when the cables were plugged into the back. The only thing it blocks if it is fully down is the top usb port on the back. I am only using 2 of the 3 so leave that one empty but you could always pick it up a bit if you needed to use it.

3. I really hope they come out with upgrades for it. If they don't tho at least if you had a fault on the board you would only need to swap out the daughterboard if they would sell you one (outside of warranty I mean)

4. Too many computers around me to use dual monitors
            Last edited by Flumpster; 04-03-2015, 07:44.

Comment

The holidays are now over and the kids are back in school so I will try to get the review up soon.

Comment

Looking forward to the review!

Comment

Originally posted by sabai View Post
                  Looking forward to the review!

Sorry for the delay. The kids were home for all of Easter holidays and then I had to catch up on some work.

It is 90 percent finished and I just need a few more screenshots off the machine and it will be done. I will post a link to it here tomorrow once finished.

Comment

One thing I don't understand so far. I have read that MS has given manufacturers of devices costing lest than $250 US, free Windows 8.1 with bing. You said you installed Windows 10 preview, will it be free also after the preview ends? I am really concerned about purchasing one of these intel boxes with Windows OS then having to pay for the OS.
                    thanks.
                    MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post
                      One thing I don't understand so far. I have read that MS has given manufacturers of devices costing lest than $250 US, free Windows 8.1 with bing. You said you installed Windows 10 preview, will it be free also after the preview ends? I am really concerned about purchasing one of these intel boxes with Windows OS then having to pay for the OS.
                      thanks.

Microsoft have contradicted themselves quite a bit recently but they have kept saying that anyone with a windows 7 or windows 8.1 genuine product gets a free upgrade to windows 10 in the first year. This is a genuine registered product so it should receive the windows update to 10 for free. If it is any different for 8.1 bing users I have not read about it yet, they just want people on one ecosystem.

Comment

Thanks for that information.
                        MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

The review is now finished but it is refusing to let me post it because I have way too many images in it even tho the images are all stored on my server.

I will try to get hold of Bob or Neomode to get this increased so I can post it.

Comment

The review is now live. http://freaktab.com/forum/main-categ...windows-tv-box

Any questions please ask me in that thread. Cheers

Comment

Working...
                            X