Info Request on Intel Based TV Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Info Request on Intel Based TV Players

Hi All, these new Intel based TV players have piqued my interest but I got some questions...

1.) With Win8.1 installation how much space would be left on board storage?

2.) How is the heat on these things? Can we cook an egg on it? j/k

3.) Hows the Wifi on these things? Im basing my experience on RK and Amlogic/ android and they were poor compared to any intel based solutions

4.) How are these things compared to say a NUC? I would like to use these as a lightweight, superfast pc for surfing, media center, display system. etc. or even a security cam server...

5.) Havent yet seen any pcb pics of these things.. Can someone be so kind as to snap a few high res.. pics?

Thanks for all your input.

Ronin

I am using the Mele PCG03 so here are some of your answers with that box.

1. With the default windows 8.1 installation you are left with just over 20 gig of free space because it uses a wimboot image which makes it slightly smaller. I have uninstalled 8.1 and removed the wimboot image and every other partition and installed windows 10. After I have it fully set up which includes my kodi backup which is 2 gig and all my used apps like photoshop, steam etc I am left with 15 gig. You can always plug in a SD card or usb stick/hard disk to give you as much space as you want.

2. I know the pipo x7 and the voyo has some heat problems out of the box but I am testing the Mele PCG03 at the moment and I haven't noticed any throttling etc yet due to heat. I haven't done the proper heat tests yet tho so will know more soon.

3. I only had WiFi running for 10 minutes when I forgot to plug my Ethernet cable back in, it seemed to be working fine but I noticed because it wasn't transferring huge files as quickly as I was on Ethernet (obviously)

4. I don't have a NUC but for everything you described it can do, I don't know how fast is your "super fast" but just look at some of the youtube videos on these chipsets and you can decide for yourself if it looks fast enough. I will say that this is the best kodi experience I have had which wasn't on my main PC and I have been thru lots of android boxes. If you play games and have a good gaming pc as well you can stream all your games to the box over steam streaming which works great.

5. The Mele PCG03 I am using is a bit different to the Pipo X7 and the Voyo in that the CPU/RAM is on a separate stick to the rest of the board so you can swap it out like a piece of ram if they ever release an update.

A few other things you might be interested in.
    The mele has a vga output as well as hdmi output so it has dual monitor support.
    It has a vesa mount on the bottom of the box so it can be connected to the back of most modern TVs.
    If you need to run any android apps you can install Duos which runs really well on this machine and lets you use most android apps.

If you have any more questions on this box or similar box let me know in my own thread that I have going while I make the full review here.
    http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...320-mele-pcg03

10% off code at Gearbest: MPCG03
    To Infinity and Beyond.... XBMC

Comment

Wheres the thanks button when you need one! Thanks for the pics and your input. it looks great and the whole vesa mounting compatibility is a plus for me. Seems like a well thought out product. Im keeping an eye on your thread for more info. great write up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronin View Post
        Wheres the thanks button when you need one! Thanks for the pics and your input. it looks great and the whole vesa mounting compatibility is a plus for me. Seems like a well thought out product. Im keeping an eye on your thread for more info. great write up.

I really am happy with it mate. The main use for me is as a Kodi box and in that respect it is brilliant. If you are going to need something that can play 4k rips and X265 encoding then none of these boxes are going to be for you but for the content I play it has been the best I have used. The auto framerate switching just works great and the interface is far quicker.

Until cherrytrail comes out and drops to a reasonable price this looks like the box I will be suggesting to all my friends.

Oh, one last thing. I use a K400 keyboard/touchpad combo with it at the moment but it will be a bit cumbersome in the long run just for using Kodi. I did try my Minix Neo A2 airmouse with it but it's useless. Then I was going to buy an MCE remote with its own dongle but I would just end up with more remote controls again which I don't want. Ended up buying a Flirc from here http://www.amazon.co.uk/FLIRC-Dongle...keywords=flirc

Check out Flirc if you have never heard of it. You can use any remote control you want and it will set up the buttons for it or multiple key combos that you define. I will just set one of the inputs on my All in one remote now to be an MCE device and the flirc will learn its buttons and set them to what I want. Awesome

http://mymediaexperience.com/flirc-r...rol-companion/

Comment

You should also have a look at the Ainol (http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...c-intel-z3735d) which also seems to have no problems with heat and have an USB 3.0 port...
          Because of WiFi I think the benefit of all Intel devices is, that you can use every external solution you like to use...
          Because of NUC you maybe should also have a look at http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...2-need-mini-pc

Last but not least, the MINIX Z64W also seems to be a 'cool' (not stressed it at the moment because do other parts/works at it) nice toy with good hw and external antenna which is placed at the side and so doesn't cover any ports if you use it 'in the down position'...
          If you have a Windows version (licence), you can also buy the cheaper Z64A and switch the bios ...

@ Flumpster
          I think you will also post the pictures at 'your' review thread? ...could you please also take a picture where we can see the stock "heat sink solution" which I don't understand at there schematic picture... also, if I look at your first picture, I have no idea how to use the space inside the case to mod any "heat sink solution" (except a fan )?
          Do I right if I see a SD reader instead of TF (microSD)?
          RK3288 Devices
          - Overview BOX (LINK !)
          - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
          UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
          Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
          Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
          Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post

@ Flumpster
            I think you will also post the pictures at 'your' review thread? ...could you please also take a picture where we can see the stock "heat sink solution" which I don't understand at there schematic picture... also, if I look at your first picture, I have no idea how to use the space inside the case to mod any "heat sink solution" (except a fan )?
            Do I right if I see a SD reader instead of TF (microSD)?

Yes, it is a full size SD slot so you can use either in it.

These pics might help you with the cooling.

Comment

Ahhh, OK, that means a part of the case or a "bridge" to the case...
              THX
              RK3288 Devices
              - Overview BOX (LINK !)
              - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
              UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
              Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
              Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
              Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Does the Back of the PCB get very hot when in heavy use.
                Seems to be part of the heat issue with some.
                Cheers
                treboR
                Please consider
                Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Working...
                X