Cube T9 for Noobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cube T9 for Noobs

Information for people new to flashing. I am also a noob, and learned this from Edius and the other posters on

FLASHING TWRP:

This is a post by Edius from the above forum. I have added a little more detail:
    (my additions are in "quotes")

"First, download these links from Edius' Google Drive:
    Cube T9 Drivers: link Cube Talk 9X_T9 - Original Drivers x86_x64.rar
    TWRP_Recovery+CUBE-T9.rar link
    SP Flash Tool v5.1452.00 link "

"I chose to Download without opening (down arrow at the top of the screen). If you do that, you will need a way to unzip the files. I used Winzip. Download Winzip or some other unzipping program before downloading the files above, so that they can be opened properly. Remember where on your computer you place these downloaded files."

"1. After downloading the Cube T9 drivers files, you still need to install device drivers. Open device manager on your computer. Connect your T9 via USB. My computer could not recognize the T9 with the T9 powered off. With the T9 powered on, the device manager saw it as 'other device', 'unknown device', or 'T9 phone'. Right click on the device, then choose update driver. Then enter the path where you placed the Cube T9 drivers file. "
    "2. After installing the drivers, safely disconnect your T9 and power it off."
    3. If you haven't done so, Download TWRP_Recovery+CUBE-T9.rar in your PC link
    4. Extract archive and you'll see MT6752_Android_scatter.txt and recovery.img files.
    5. Download SP Flash Tool v5.1452.00 link
    6. "Open the file folder and click on flash_tool.exe to start the program."
    7. Go to Scatter-Loading and browse for MT6752_Android_scatter.txt
    8. All boxes must be unchecked, except recovery
    9. Select Download only mode
    10. Click on Download.
    11. With tablet powered off connect USB cable(do not use USB 3.0 port, only USB 2.0 ports are compatible) and you'll see progress bar working at the bottom of SP Flash Tool very fast ....at 100% you'll see a green check box showing Success.
    12.Turn off SP flash Tool and disconnect USB cable from your PC.

"If SP Flash Tool doesn't start working as soon as you connect your tablet, then you need to do a little more with device driver installation. Stop the download on SP Flash Tool. Disconnect the tablet. Click Download again in SP Flash Tool. Open Device Manager. With tablet still OFF, connect to computer via USB. Either on Device manager, or the info bar on the lower right corner of you PC, you may see the PC looking for MTK86xx drivers, Quickly click on that and update driver with the downloaded file. SP Flash Tools should then start downloading."

You may need to know that OTA update will not work anymore with TWRP installed...only stock recovery will give you successfully updates OTA.
    To flash back original recovery.img do the steps described above (with original recovery.img from FW's V1.02/1.04) and OTA will work like before.

USING TWRP:

"1. Turn off the sleep feature on your tablet ( I had problems when the tablet went to sleep while in TWRP recovery menu and had to reflash.)"
    "2. Insert TF/SD card, if you would like to perform a backup on that card."
    3. Go to TWRP recovery from tablet Off state pressing/holding Power for about a second then press and hold vol+ until a menu displays at the bottom left.
    Scroll through the menu options with vol+ .
    4. Select Recovery with vol-.

BACKUP
    From TWRP Menu, select Backup, check all partition boxes, give some name (if not will be generated automatically) and choose destination to Internal SD/External SD/OTG drive as you wish., and swipe.

RESTORE
    To Restore just go to that section, point to any previous backup folder done using TWRP and choose what you need to restore or check all boxes for a full restore and swipe.

ROOT
    From TWRP go to main page in Reboot >> System >> and you'll see "Your device does not appear to be rooted. Install SuperSU now?", swipe right to install SuperSu and will have two options :a) from TWRP b) from Google Play
    Just install from Google Play and should be fine, open SuperSu and update binaries.

Again, thanks to Edius for all the above information, links and instruction.
    If a first-timer like me can do it, you can, too!

Originally posted by kravmama1 View Post
    To flash back original recovery.img do the steps described above (with original recovery.img from FW's V1.02/1.04) and OTA will work like before.
    In the meantime we have another stock recovery ..V1.07 (all original recoveries here)
    That looks like a decent topic, congrats.

Comment

STOCK ROM
      For most basic tablet users, current stock firmware version 1.08 is adequate. Google Playstore is functional. FM radio works. Cellular and wifi connections work. GPS works. No significant touchscreen issues or random reboots. What is not working is external keyboard functionality. For American keyboards, certain keys don't register or register incorrectly. Current fix is to root and remap the keyboard. Some users also report that automatic brightness is not functioning correctly.

WHY FLASH TWRP?
      According to Edius, "TWRP is for now only available method to create a full tablet backup" (including NVRAM). The backup "can be restored later using TWRP recovery." "In NVRAM partition (hidden) is stored your IMEI."

If you plan to root or make any other modifications to your tablet, it is best to do a full tablet backup before making any changes.

WHY ROOT?
      1. Improve storage for apps. The T9 internal memory is partitioned into 2GB for apps, and the rest for media and other files. Link2SD app found in Google Play Store will allow you to move app files into the second partition, so that you can clear up space in the first partition to download more apps. Link2SD requires that the tablet be rooted.
      2. Fix external keyboard problem. Root access is required to remap the keyboard.
      3. Install custom ROMs.
      4. Use apps that require root. For example, Titanium backup.

According to Edius,
      "For now are just two ways to root T9:
      using iRoot( known as vRoot) - uses SuperUser
      using TWRP - uses SuperSU
      I said already: Iroot/vRoot will get some files broken in System.
      Root method is your choice, I personally use TWRP with SuperSU. "

WHY FLASH STOCK RECOVERY?
      TWRP installation and rooting disables OTA updates. The only way to restore OTA update capabilities is to reflash stock recovery. After reflashing stock, perform the OTA update, then you can reflash TWRP and root again.
      Last edited by kravmama1; 04-13-2015, 01:08.

Comment

EASY FIX FOR EXTERNAL KEYBOARD PROBLEM

DISCLAIMER: ANY MODIFICATIONS TO YOUR TABLET IS DONE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

When attempting to use an external keyboard (either Bluetooth or usb) with the T9, some keys do not work. This is a software problem. The keyboard file on the T9 is not mapped correctly. Being fairly ignorant, I was nervous to try solutions requiring vi editor, adb shell, Linux, ssh, etc. I did not want to brick the tablet. The Google Play Store app, External Keyboard Helper Pro, will NOT fix the problem. I stumbled across an easy solution and was able to fix my keyboard problem. No computer needed. Again, be very careful and do this at your own risk. My redundancies in my method are intentional.

1. Root your T9. (see instructions in Post #1 above)
        2. From Google Play Store, download and install app, ES File Explorer.
        3. Open the app. The screen will open to a listing of files/folders on your internal memory, "sdcard" will appear highlighted at the top.
        4. Click the hamburger icon (3 horizontal bars) on the left upper corner. This will open the Fast Access menu, which I will now refer to as the main menu.
        5. Click on Tools. Turn Root Explorer ON, Turn Show Hidden Files ON.
        6. Click on Local. From the dropdown menu, choose Device. This will open up a listing of Device files/folders.
        7. Click on system folder, then usr folder, then keylayout folder.
        8. Find file Generic.kl . Long press on Generic.kl until a menu appears at the bottom of the screen. Select Copy.
        9. Click on main menu (the hambuger icon on upper left corner), Select Home (this opens the sdcard folder/partition), then System folder. Click on Paste at the bottom of the screen. You should get a message that the file was copied successfully and it should now appear in the folder.
        10. Long press on that file, choose Rename, and rename the file Generic.kcl_bcp . That is now your back-up in case anything goes wrong.
        11. Return to main menu, choose Device=> system=> usr => keylayout. Copy Generic.kl again and paste it again to the sdcard memory (see steps 8 and 9). This is the file that you will edit.
        12. You should now be in the system folder on the sdcard. Short press Generic.kl. Open as Text. Select ES Note Editor. You will now see the keyboard map and will notice that some keys do not match the layout in this handy reference link.: https://android.googlesource.com/pla...rds/Generic.kl
        13. Click the 3 vertical dots on the right upper corner and select Edit. Edit the file using your onscreen keyboard. (if you press anywhere on the text screen, the keyboard will appear)
        14. When you are satisfied with your edit, select the back arrow on the left upper corner. You will get a pop-up screen asking if you want to save. Select yes.
        15. Click the back arrow at the bottom of the screen. This will bring you back to the file folder.
        16. Long press on this edited file and rename it Generic.kl_mod
        17. Long press on this file and select copy.
        18.Return to main menu, choose Device=> system=> usr => keylayout. Paste the file into the folder.
        19. In this folder, long press Generic.kl and rename it Generic.kl_bcp . You now have a back-up of the original file in two locations.
        20. Long press Generic.kl_mod and rename it Generic.kl
        21. Go back to main menu, select tools and turn OFF Root Explorer, turn OFF Show hidden files.
        22. Exit out of ES File Explorer.
        23. Reboot your tablet. Your keyboard should now work properly.

Good luck!
        Last edited by kravmama1; 04-13-2015, 01:38.

Comment

Greetings kravmama. Thanks for starting this thread and let me be the first to join.

1. Instead of modifying the generic.kl file, one can also create a keyboard layout file for that particular device. See this post:

2. I encountered an insufficient memory problem and wonder if you could help.

I was trying to install a 3MB AndroiTs GPS Test apk but failed when the T9 complained about insufficient memory. The storage setting showed around 100MB free.

I then uninstalled a couple other apks, but problem persisted.

Any suggestions on how to clear away junks and free up memory?

Many thanks and best regards.

Comment

Hi goop, thanks for your post. Being a noob myself, I did a quick search and here's what I found:
            1. Try clearing cache data to free up more space.
            2. Check http://www.itworld.com/article/28333...it.html?page=3
            3. Post your question on http://freaktab.com/forum/mtk-based-...-A53-4G-beast=
            Many knowledgeable members on that thread who can help you right away.

Once you find your solution, please post here for easy reference for others.

I suspect that even though that app is only 3Mb in size, it will check for more than 100Mb of free memory or it won't install, because it needs space to store the data it collects.

Comment

AUDIO LAG WHEN PLAYING MOVIES FROM SD CARD
              Noticed audio and video not in sync when playing movies from my SD card.
              Fix: DicePlayer, free in Google Play Store, allows adjustment of audio file under settings.

Comment

Hi there,
                Total and complete noob here.
                I just need some clarification on certain steps.

1) How do you reflash stock?

I know you stated:
                Originally posted by kravmama1 View Post
                You may need to know that OTA update will not work anymore with TWRP installed...only stock recovery will give you successfully updates OTA.
                but I am not sure which steps in particular you mean?

2) Which steps would I need to follow to reflash TWRP?

3) Do you have a link for FW v1.08?

Thanks in advance and sorry if the questions seem daft. I only ever rooted one device and ended up getting rid of it within in week.

Comment

Being despert because my GPS stopped working after an effort to bypass KitKat restrictions to SD, I am ready to flash my Cube T9, althought I am the noob of noobs! Just a question: V.1.08 is installed. V.1.07 is available. What are the chances to do bigger dammage after flahing V.1.07?

Comment

EXPAND PARTITION FOR APP STORAGE

Only 2gb of 32gb internal memory are alotted for apps. This method can repartition to allow up to 18gb for apps. Repartitioning will erase everything on internal memory, so please backup everything.

if not done correctly, you can brick your device, so do at your own risk.

Make sure that all drivers and SPFT is already downloaded onto PC. Also download and unpack the stock recovery and scatter files below.

All credit goes to devilz-wolit for this post. Here is the thread where this is posted.
                    http://freaktab.com/forum/mtk-based-...mods-etc/page5

I copied his post here to make it easier to find. Also added some commentary inside {}

This is the procedure to expand the /data partition on T9:

1. Make aTWRP backup of your T9 (microSD or OTG - not internal SD)
                    2. Power off the T9
                    3. In SPFT upload Stock Rom with Stock Recovery (The stock recovery is very important. The TWRP not work to do that) { in unpacked stock recovery file, you should see a .txt file. That is what you would select to download in SPFT. Since my T9 had custom ROM, I decided to flash this first. Make sure that all boxes are checked, pussh dowload button at top, then connect the T9 which is powered off. Progress bar at bottom should turn green when complete. disconnect tablet}
                    4. Download the new scatter file, copy the selected scatter file in the folder of stock rom, Open SPFT use the selected scatter and upload in "Firmware Upgrade"
                    { go to unpacked scatter file and select the. txt file with the desired memory size. Copy this to the file folder containing the stock recovery. Then select the scatter .txt for download in SPFT. Make sure all boxes are checked. Click on window on left that says "download" and scroll and select "upgrade firmware". Click download button at top. connect the T9 which is powered off. SPFT should start downloading and status bar on bottom will turn green when done.}
                    5. After disconnect the tablet and start it in recovery mode {power+volume up, scroll with volume up and select recovery with volume down}
                    6. Make a Wipe/Factory reset (It is very very important to do this) { scroll with volume down, select with volume up}
                    7. Restart the T9 and enjoy!

Stock recovery 1.08 full (without chinese apps)
                    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0L...ew?usp=sharing

From now on when you use the SPFT will need to do using the new scatter you used now.

Now download the TWRP recovery with spft and new scatter in "Download only"
                    After disconnect the tablet and start it in recovery mode
                    Restore the backup made at the beginning of the procedure and restart,
                    that's all

New scatter files wth \System 1,5Gb, \Cache 512Mb, \Data 2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18 Gb

This is the new TWRP 2.8.4.0 whit ttf correction & new splash screen

IMPORTANT NOTE:
                    Repartitioning prevents the OTA update.

Requirements for ota update:
                    1 - Stock rom
                    2 - Stock recovery
                    3 - Stock size of all partitions

thanks to hocuspocus69

{If you have any problems please post in original thread. I can't help you, since I am a noob, too. I found this stock ROM to have issues with wifi and playstore, so after changing partiton size, I converted to custom ROM here:
                    http://freaktab.com/forum/mtk-based-...m-cubet98-v1-3
                    Custom/port ROM "Cube T98v1.3" n561503 n561495n561496n561497 n561498n561499n561501n561502
                    Last edited by kravmama1; 07-04-2016, 18:21.

Comment

SIMPLE METHOD INSTALL TWRP WITHOUT SPFT

​Posted by helgiman in this thread:

I have copied it here for convenience:

Install TWRP 2.8.7.0 or 3.0.2 from jemminy:
                      1. Download adbrecovery.7z,
                      2. unpack in c: \adbrecovery,
                      3. turn on USB debugging on a tablet.
                      4. Open the Device Manager.
                      5. Connect the powered tablet. If an unknown device appears in Device Manager 'T9 Android Phone', install the driver from the folder C:\adbrecovery\DriverWinAll\. If the connection mode is ' USB storage', drop curtain left and change the mode to the Media device (MTP). If a window pops up ' USB debugging ', put a
                      tick and click ' OK '.
                      6. In the folder С:\adbrecovery run install.bat to install TWRP.
                      7. After installing the tablet will automatically reboot in TWRP.

Comment

I wanta thank all the contributors to this thread.

Comment

Working...
                        X