Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MK908II LawlessPPC Flavour PureX KitKat V1 SD card Rom 4.4.2

MK908II LawlessPureX SD Card ROM

This ROM in theory should work on any RK3188 device with a AP6210 WiFi/Bluetooth chip equiped with an SD card slot

This image is used to boot your Android stick / box from an SD card leaving your onboard NAND untouched so in theory you can test the image without it making any changes to your device once the SD card is ejected

The reason this Rom SD card image exists is due to the CRAP Foresee NAND chips mounted in some MK908II Android sticks and possibly others!!!! Which fastly corrupt and cant be fully formatted leaving a useless stick!!!

(later MK908II sticks use Micron NAND chips and the packaging now states RK3188T CPU, I think this can be used to identify which sticks have Foresee or Micron NANDs without opening the stick or trying Maskrom mode)

This usually manifests as frequent reboots, stalling, stuttering and data or apps suddenly disappearing

I think its safe to say that if your Android stick / box wont enter Maskrom mode then your stuck with a Foresee NAND!!!

So if you wish to use your Android device successfully this is possibly your only option besides soldering a fresh NAND chip on the device

This Rom is basically Walter77's pureX KitKat V1 - New firmware for CX-921 and CX-919

I would say please dont pester Walter77 for support as I believe there would be little he could do due to the change of image format plus the small changes I have made to the ROM

This ROM runs at a full 1920x1080P@60Hz + 24p no upscaling here *8O)

It also runs @1.4GHz (default) but the kernel does support 1.6GHz

It runs more than fast enough @1.4GHz due to Walter77's amazing work but ive included No Frills CPU

if you wish to run @1.6GHz

It has an app space of 3.94GB

It has an internal storage space of 2.49GB

To utilize this simply do the following

1. Download MK908IILawlessPureXSD.rar

2. Extract MK908IILawlessPureXSD.rar to a place of your choice

3. Download & install Win32DiskImager link provided

http://sourceforge.net/projects/win3...atest/download

4. Aquire, beg, steal or borrow a class 10 8GB SD card

(Im no saying other brands of SD card wont work but i only had success with Sandisk)
    (other brands failed to boot, this would appear to be a card reader compatibilty issue)
    (similar to the issue Raspberry Pi's suffer from)

5. Launch / run Win32DiskImager & click on the little folder icon then select the now extracted

MK908IILawlessPurexSD.img (use the file requester to find the img file)

6. Click the arrow under device to the right of the program to select your SD card

(eg:- [D:\] [E:\] [F:\] etc)

7. Click the write button

8. Once write process has completed remove SD card

(if via USB device make sure to safely remove to avoid errors)

9. Place SD card in SD card slot of MK908II and power up

(it should boot as fast if not faster than the onboard NAND but maybe not on the first boot)

10. Enjoy this fantastic ROM made by Walter77 (modified slightly by me *8O) )

If any apps fail to run simply uninstall them and reinstall them (Ive only notice this happen with spotify)

I would like to give all credit to those truly responsible for this ROM

Walter77 (original ROM creator)

D33 (kernel creator)

these are the true heroes in this story *8O
    ****Disclaimer****

I make no promises with this ROM but all should be fine I've been testing over an extended period

But if your device becomes useless, your house blows up or your wife leaves you I am not resposible

its your device and your choice to use this ROM

Hope fully this is the download link including readme

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...0U&usp=sharing

Laters

LawlessPPC

This is a great idea! Is it easy to switch ROMs ?

Comment

Simple as easy as putting SD Card in a reader and clicking one button *8O)

All the hard works been done for you

Comment

What I meant was, whether it's easy to test different ROMs. I believe that this IMG file contains the pureX Rom (which is great!). But, what if I want to test other ROMs without flashing them.

Comment

If you want to test other roms you'll have to go through the whole process from scratch to build up an SD card img like i have. Its not that quick a process

Comment

Could you please point me to the right direction as to how to do this ? Thank you!

Comment

read up on Linuxiums sd card method

Comment

Originally posted by LawlessPPC View Post
                read up on Linuxiums sd card method
                Thank you!

Comment

Great work LawlessPPC!

It's a great ROM and a great way to revive the MK908II.

But, unfortunatelly I ran into a big problem... It seems I can get to boot only the first time. After shutdown or reboot it gets stuck with the booting image animation.

To get it running again I have to write the image again on the SD.

Is there any way to troubleshoot this? I have the RK3188 version (without T)

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Thanks for the AWSOME ROM. Followed your instructions and it installed smoothly, however it seems my WIFI isn't working as my wireless keyboard cant connect. What can I do? I have the MK908 with RK3188t. Is there a way to verify which WIFI chip I have without having to open the dongle?

Comment

Originally posted by iahim_m
                      Great work LawlessPPC!

It's a great ROM and a great way to revive the MK908II.

But, unfortunatelly I ran into a big problem... It seems I can get to boot only the first time. After shutdown or reboot it gets stuck with the booting image animation.

To get it running again I have to write the image again on the SD.

Is there any way to troubleshoot this? I have the RK3188 version (without T)

Thanks a lot!
                      Make sure you flash version 2.13 boot loader to the internal band. Make sure you do a proper shutdown when you reboot it

Comment

Originally posted by yaelir
                        Thanks for the AWSOME ROM. Followed your instructions and it installed smoothly, however it seems my WIFI isn't working as my wireless keyboard cant connect. What can I do? I have the MK908 with RK3188t. Is there a way to verify which WIFI chip I have without having to open the dongle?

Not sure without opening it but this is for ap6210 WiFi chip. Can you view webpages? When you say wireless keyboard do you mean Bluetooth because that's the only wireless keyboard you can use unless you use one with its own USB receiver

Comment

Can you also tell me your sdcard brands?

Comment

Hi, I have MK908 V5 stick. Is it possible to install this ROM on this and also any other way to install I mean without SD card?

Many thanks for help

Comment

Originally posted by LawlessPPC View Post

Make sure you flash version 2.13 boot loader to the internal band. Make sure you do a proper shutdown when you reboot it

Hi Lawless,

I'm using Sandisk Ultra Class 10, 32GB. I plan to get an 8GB one, in case this could be the problem.

I flashed pureX_KitKat_V1_cx921a with 2.13 boot loader, and still can't get your ROM to work.

First boot works fine, after rebooting (either from reboot application or from the toolbar below), I get stuck in the booting animation.

To make the pureX_KitKat_V1_cx921a boot from NAND I flashed 2.08 boot loader, which seems to be the version that works with this ROM.

Any other ideeas? Can I press some key combination to see the debug boot information similar with Linux?

Thanks for your support!

Mihai

Comment

Working...
                              X