Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with my CS918 box identify and firmware

Hi there.

I bought one of these from amazon just before xmas. It streams ok and is quick but is prone to crashing in chrome alot when i start chrome and go to mouse mode on my remote and try to move the pointer it kinda lags i.e mouse trailing by itself for a bit if i press in one direction then when most often than not chrome crashes back to desktop/home screen. Kodi 14.2 works ok on it and i dont know if the "busy please wait" during loading streams is the box or the stream link or kodi, im betting its kodi and the link used to watch somit acting up somewhat but generally im happy with kodi. But kodi seems to say its in 720p when on android 4.2 its set to 1080p 60hz which my tv says it is. Not sure if its 1080p or not, probs not but the picture quality of 720 hd or 1080p hd streams or movies on my external box, it seems to play fine. The only trouble is my anime some of it is hi10p so 1080p versions have no chance to work in kodi but 720p ones can be watchable but some scenes has alot of pixelation in it. I try not to get the hi10 bit rate ones if i can help it.

Oh the box is called Techcode HD 1080P Quad Core CS918 Android 4.2 TV Box (Mini PC), 2GB RAM,8GB HDMI WIFI Bluetooth XBMC (Black)

on amazon i got it from techcode seller.

About freezing up. Its been happening a bit more lately. Alot of times with chrome starting if its got a page to load that is still from past browsing or multiple tabs which i try to avoid. Sometimes in the android UI itself when im trying to go to settings to close a app cos its frozen or somit it can sometimes freeze for a min or two sometimes longer etc and sometimes in kodi going through menus of addons etc. Thats why that home button is so handy as if a app is froze android usually works when u press home so u can go to settings then apps then kill the app close then it should open and run quicker and not be slow/freeze.

Anyhow i opened the back and took some snap shots. It seems its a rk3188 4.3 with bluetooth (looked in the topic with loads of pics and the 4.3 with bluetooth pic looks similar compared to the non bluetooth of the 4.3.

Anyhow so if i want to update the firmware as auto update never brings anything which is a shame. Which should i go for. I NEED wifi as i dont have a long enough cable and do not want to lay it from bedroom to living room where android box and big tv is. I could get powerline wall socket things but i dont have the money truth be told for em so wifi is a requirement to keep. Maybe bluetooth if i ever get around to getting a better controller or wifi kb and mouse but so far ive managed with the remote i got as its no way as bad as my sisters android box remove with them watch type batteries in, mine has 2 aaa batteries i think and usually works fine.

Would updating firmware

1. Fix crashing and slowdown issues with chrome
    2. Fix freezing events in kodi 14.2 as in sometimes it just freezes like the box has tones to do and is overworked and a few mins later it snaps back (i usually force close app and its quick again)
    3. Enable kodi to use 1080p that is set in android ui 60hz.
    4. Any help with hi10 anime?
    5. Snappier overall performance benefit?

At the mo i have tried optimizers and antivirus stuff and 1 boost things but never work especially for crashing in chome when using mouse arrow feature of the box with remote when just started chrome. I have to wait till its loaded the first page before its somewhat stable atm then use the navigation arrow.

Heres some pics.

I have done flashing firmware on bios on pc and ssd but not on a android box before so all steps needed would need to be learned, what firmware, do i need a seperate kernal how does that work to install with firmware, etc. Cheers. Thats if theres a better firmware, kernal to use instead of stock 4.2.2 android i think it is.

Oh and somit, the advert for my box stated 8gb storage, on the android storage thing i just have 4gb is that right. I know u never get the exact amount advertised but i thought 4gb down instead of a resonable 1-2 gb from 8gb, seemed weird.

Bottom right

Bottom (shows wifi chip 'blue area' i think)

Overview

Top Left

Top Right

Cheers.
    Last edited by SkeeterUK; 04-25-2015, 13:06.

Oh yeah, i have multiple options for passthrough in the android UI. I think i picked the right one as it does work but alot of movies when trying to use dobly digital in kodi 14.2 has a stuttery image every few seconds. If i disable the passthrough the picture is fine. Maybe one of them firmwares thats stickied and is compatable with my box fixes that? I dont have a 5.1 setup just a nice 2.0 speaker setup with a nice amp. Might get a center speaker at some point tho so dunno if passthrough would be needed more then or not.

Comment

Hmm googling i found this site and page. Says it has a stock 4.4 update.

Any thoughts like is it legit, would it work, chance of bricking? Wifi working on it, or wait for replies based on custom firmwares from this forum? Like i said i dunno anything about firmwares for these types of devices i just thought a update might fix some of my problems.

Comment

Hmm i think the chip with blue surrounding it is a chip that might be wifi if it is i think its wrote on rtl 8723as. Not 100% sure tho. If you use overview image and zoom in u can see kinda rtl 8723as there.

Oh i dunno if i mentioned it but i use a 3tb external hdd through usb with this android box. It works great and i can use a torrent to dl stuff to it and then run it from kodi/xbmc. So i hope any new firmware doesnt break usb ports along with not breaking wifi.
        Last edited by SkeeterUK; 04-24-2015, 17:55.

Comment

Maybe you will find some more info via google http://www.google.com/search?q=freaktab+K-rk3188-V4.3
          RK3288 Devices
          - Overview BOX (LINK !)
          - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
          UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
          Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
          Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
          Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

I've googled about it all yesterday still dunno so was asking for advice from here and hoped someone like a firmware maker could advise me or someone who had same device and knew which exact firmware was best for me.

Comment

Not much activity on these forums I had hoped I would have gotten this replied to more by now.

Comment

nice information
                thanks all

Comment

Originally posted by SkeeterUK View Post
                  Not much activity on these forums I had hoped I would have gotten this replied to more by now.
                  hmmm, it's not only up to low activity at the forum, it's also because meanwhile exists many different pcb's inside the same box and last but not least the most are meanwhile at newer soc's and not longer at rk3188(t)...
                  RK3288 Devices
                  - Overview BOX (LINK !)
                  - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                  UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
                  Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                  Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                  Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

It looks like this board has been referenced in this thread http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...s918-and-t-r42
                    just search for " K-RK3188-V4.3 With BT".
                    They recommend using the new firmware in this thread: http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...are-for-T-R42=

Think I bought the same box as you from amazon, will have to crack it open and have a look.

Comment

I wish the firmware release topics listed what is compatible with the firmware as say wazzers or somit has a old and new, I dunno what that means tbh and what boxes do they support. Is mine a t-r42 or the k-r42. Ppl think my box is the 3188T but i dunno except it says its 1.6ghz quad core etc.

If say the latest wasser k-r42 is for me the new not old. How do I backup my stock firmware, how to flash the new one on etc. So many confusing guides I dunno what to do tbh.

Comment

Oh and can someone explain what kernal I need for true 1080p and good performance and how do you install it, is it when doing the firmware or separate etc.

Comment

Your PCB shows K-RK3188-V4.3, so the new rom in the link http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...Android-4-4-2= will work.
                          I've never flashed one, but I'd guess you download the rkbatchtool, install the USB drivers for the device & enable "USB debugging" on your techcode box. The point it to the rom and keep your fingers crossed.
                          A 2 second google search has found this: http://androidxda.com/use-rockchip-batch-tool

Comment

Ok so i bit the bullet cos i think i knew enough to do it. God help if i have fudged it up as cant afford to replace tbh.

1. Installed drivers on pc win 7, found out how to enter flash mode as was hard to find out how to do it. Managed both unflash mode and flash mode drivers (diff between the two u see).

2. Backed up loads of stuff using this http://freaktab.com/forum/developmen...ew-rk-2-1-tool

3, Downloaded this rom http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...are-for-T-R42= The 104 NEW. Hope i was correct.

4. Flashed it using the batch tool 1.6 using restore feature. Since i dont have a hdmi on my pc im blind as to if it worked (on both my 2 monitors there just vga) So i dunno if its going through the droid first time boot stuff as you do when you do it on phones so i havent turned the device off incase it was doing somit gona leave it for 30 mins then go take the box in living room and pray it boots and works fine with usb for hdd, wifi for net, remote works i hope etc.

Wish me luck as im at the step 4 waiting stage now. Hope it has helped somewhat if it has worked.

Edit - So far so good wasser boot logo came up for about 1 min then went to a shiny new looking homescreen, im setting up my wifi now, its found my virigin and loads of others so looks like its working gona need to install and test a bunch of things but remote works i think usb hdd detected. Lookin good so far. Cheers all and wasser for making the rom and the others for their tools and guides etc.

Comment

Hi lads,
                              Im new here and cannot start a topic, only reply to one...

Im looking for a custom or stock rom for my CS918, IMG M12011G

ch001

tn-bx09_v2.1
                              2013/05/31

I did have a custom Lewey ROM in it but it wasnt working well and kept crashing so Im on the look out for a new or even a stock rom just to get the box back up and running to keep the kids happy.

Steven

Comment

Working...
                              X