No announcement yet.

CKO from the inscrutable East baffles dozy gweilo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rea the README file that came with the kit. I explain you have to install drivers and how to do it.

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

k97

Bob,

Got it. Had to hold the Esc button, pulg in usb cords, etc...then could follow your instructions.

ok now this is what it says:

Android version 2.3.1 was 4.0.3
      baseband unknown
      kernel 2.6.32.27
      build rk29 gingerbread 2.10.00

when it loaded it was in Chinese. Took awhile to get to the language setting and get it back to english.

Does that all sound like things went as expected?

Creativeguy

Comment

Yes the ROM is from the China web site. This means someone made a English version with ICS?

I can only make a ROM from an original ROMs. So my rooted ROM will be the same unless you can find the version you had?

Bob

Comment

k97

Bob,

So what's next? I know there is no way in h e double hockey sticks that I will be able to get that, lol

Comment

Do you want me to make a 1.4 ROM fully rooted from this ROM I downloaded?

At this point I see no other option for you since you do not actually have the ROM you had in the tablet to begin with.

Let me know and I can do one for you sometime this week.

bob

Comment

k97

If you think that is the best way to go. I did use the Es file manager and did copy everything that I could find before I did your Flash. Not sure if really helps. I just selected everything and copied it and put into a folder.

I guess the question that I have is there a way to get it back to the way it was? Or be able to get it upgraded back to the ICS 4.0. Which of course is needed to run pdanet tablet that I had on it before. I could never get it work with my phone, maybe cause of the kernel build? I tried it with the 2.3 that is on there now and it says that pda tablet requires 4.0 to run. If it is what it is now, then I have learned my lesson and not buy a cheapo tablet from china. I did like the 4.0 version better.

I see this tablet all over the net, and maybe just needs more time to be out there before others learn to work around it's quirks.

Comment

No, there is no way to go back without a ROM download from somewhere.

I am suprised the manufacturer does not have a download link for it since yours came with ICS. Put it this way. Someone has a ICS ROM for this tablet. We just need to find the ROM. Really dumb the manufacturer ROM link is Gingerbread

Nothing I can do to help without a ROM.

Bob

Comment

k97

Bob,

ok, here might be the last bit of info I have been able to find. I found some one on another forum who said they did some work on their tomtec, which they say is the same as mine. They look the same, sound the same.

Here is a link to a dutch site... google the link... and use translate

Seems like all the info is there...and all the roms and ics, etc

Could this be real?

Comment

Try flashing that ROM and see if it works. If so I can use it to make more mods.

Bob

Comment

k97

Bob,

Well, it seems to work, but now, and it is soooooo freakin funny, lol.....that my contacts app won't work.

That was the whole reason I started this search. The last time I used Anycut to get a shortcut, and it worked, but now it starts to open and says "Unfortunatley...contacts has close"

It never ends. I followed the Flash directions, maybe I need to do it again.

Creativeguy

Comment

So this is on the stock ROM or the one you found on tweakers.com? Does the stock ROM work?

This means you have a incompatible contactsandsync.apk or you missing the conatcts apps.

If the stock ROM works, Flash the stock ROM. Then go get a file manager like ES file explorer and enable root file browsing.
                        No go into /system/app and copy out any files that say contacts, totacts providers, contact and sync settinsg, etc. if there are matching .odex files copy those with the APKs.

Now flash back to the tweakers ROM and replace those files in /system/app. Then reboot. It should work now.

Bob

Comment

k97 tomtec ultima 10

Bob,

I flashed the tweakers rom the other night, figured what the heck, might as well try it. I had already flashed with yours and it did work. It was 2.3 version and I wanted to get it back to 4.0.

I tried the contact thing last night. I flashed it back to your 2.3. Looked for contacts, etc..copied..flashed back to 4.0. Problem is I think I have to be rooted to delete the stock contact apps then try to copy the new ones back into where they should be. I found new apk's of all 3 apps. Contacts, contact provider and good sync. I did not see any odex files.

The dutch site from Sparcky listed a way to root it, but I can't get past the adb push su /data/local

I am thinking should be local/data? or can I juist open the sdk program and load from that.

but, for the most part the rom from the dutch site seems to be good. I need to get a hdmi adapter to try hooking up to a tv. I know that I have also loaded Netflix 1.7 and page will load, menu will load, but when I try to play a video it just goes black and no sound. I called Netflix and they said it might be the wifi connection, but have tried 3 networks and has not gotten any better.

Creativeguy

Comment

OK cool. I did not want to do any rooting work until you had settled on a ROM for me to work on.

So do you want me to root the one from the Dutch site?

I may also have good working contacts and sync, etc. So I can add mine if you want to try that?

Bob

Comment

k97 tomtec ultimate 10

if you would, that would be awesome. The dutch site does have instructions, but like I said, I couldn't get it to work.

Not sure if I am missing something, or becuase of the google translate, the steps might not be correct.

I have the Dutch Rom on my tablet right now. And now I can flash back and forth with no problems since I have done it a few times. The key would be figuring out why the contacts won't load. It will sync from google, or so it seems to do it, but I get "unfortunatley, contacts has stopped working", when I try to open it. I am not able to create a shortcut either even using the Anycut app.

Comment

OK I went over to the tweakeers post. They have many versions listed.

What version or download do you want me to work on? They seems to have a custom ROM too?

Give me the direct link from that page on the ROM you want me to work on.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X