Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Returning my Drako... what next?

Hello guys,
    I am returing the Drako, just too much not working, and I have given up waiting for Tronsmart/Allwinner to fix the numerous issues.

I definitely do not want an Allwinner box
    I like the upcoming Nvidia Shield Android TV, but it's not out yet, and I don't live in the USA, and i'm not sure i could live with Google's restrictive leanback interface and lack of apps.

SO...

What do you reckon, what would you go for Android-wise? I could spend $200 if needs be....

Out: USB audio, HDMI
    In: Logitech K400 keyboards

good question... next question please

It depends on what you want to do with the box...

If you e.g. want to use netflix at 1080P you have to use a box with locked bootloader like Amazon Fire TV or I think also the Nvidia Shield if it has to be Android (but I don't like/prefer closed systems), if windows is also ok, take a box with Intel z3735/6...

At Android (also with missing 1080P at netflix) the X8H-Plus (S812) seems to be one of the best "open" (unlocked) Android media player at the moment...

If you need more power at the GPU (e.g. for gaming) then you should have a look at the RK3288...

RK3288 Devices
    - Overview BOX (LINK !)
    - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
    UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
    Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
    Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
    Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
      good question... next question please

If you e.g. want to use netflix at 1080P you have to use a box with locked bootloader like Amazon Fire TV or I think also the Nvidia Shield if it has to be Android (but I don't like/prefer closed systems), if windows is also ok, take a box with Intel z3735/6...

At Android (also with missing 1080P at netflix) the X8H-Plus (S812) seems to be one of the best "open" (unlocked) Android media player at the moment...

If you need more power at the GPU (e.g. for gaming) then you should have a look at the RK3288...
      Minix fan

Comment

If you need more power at the GPU (e.g. for gaming) then you should have a look at the RK3288...[/FONT]
        Hi NSFM,
        I do want an android box, and have no interest in Netflix. I use Kodi, other audio & video (I would love to get to use the HD audio ability of Lollipop as a bonus) a bit of gaming (I dislike having to hack generic boxes with sixaxis just to get games to work, would love to have it much easier, like the nexus player or shield android tv)

I thought the RK3288 was at least a year old, so is the 812? Anyway, I will look.
        In the meantime, it SEEMS that the latest ROM released yesterday does actually fix the vertical smear issue... but Youtube does not work AT ALL.

Lordy, Tronsmart are swimming in a large pool of poop!
        Mark
        Out: USB audio, HDMI
        In: Logitech K400 keyboards

Comment

Android X86 is working on Android 5.1 with hardware acceleration for Intel graphics and Radeon. It will be Interesting to see how well it works. Their 4.4 version works well on a lot of hardware, but I have not tried it for the tasks you use Android for. If you have an old laptop or PC, give it a try. I will run from a Live CD or USB drive. You don't have to install it, you don't even need a hard drive in the PC or Laptop. It won't alter existing systems, so you can try it without risk. And it is completely free. I realize this is off of the beaten path, just thought you might be interested. I have a lot of fun with it.
          Good luck.

Comment

The benefit at the amlogic I see is that wetek (the older mx) and minix (S802/812) are really active at this soc and working hand in hand with amlogic so that's why e.g. at the S812 at the X8H-Plus it seems they got since 2-3 weeks a stutter-free 23.976 fps (24p) realized (maybe meanwhile also at the S802 at the X8, if not it will come)...

If you want to have a box where you don't have to thinking about how to use a game, then you should buy a gaming box like the Nvidia Shield (and look if kodi is possible and if audio support is what you want)...

RK3288 Devices
            - Overview BOX (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
            Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
            Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
            Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

How about an ouya? Nothing wrong with them.

Comment

I dont think there is a better answer then the Nvidia Shield console... It's a beast and it will be able to handle everything better than all the other Android consoles out there.... and it's only $199.99 .... None of this...ordering off a China site...waiting forever for your shipment...Just walk into the store and purchase it.

Comment

Nvidia shield android TV is now available in the usa!
                  You can order directly from their site.
                  16gb model 199$ - now available
                  500gb model 299$ - preorder

Hope it will come to Europe really soon...

The best streaming media device today with all the amazing features.

http://www.xda-developers.com/nvidia...-at-google-io/
                  Last edited by Boxx; 05-29-2015, 05:55.

Comment

The Nvidia Shield is one of the most powerful home video devices available, bringing 4K streaming, solid gaming and plenty of horsepower. It has improved with the update to Android Marshmallow, but it's still a niche product.
                    RK3288 Devices
                    - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

Best Android TV Box 2015
                      (not sure about the "Best" and why 2015, but a nice overview )
                      http://androidpcreview.com/best-andr...box-2015/2309/
                      RK3288 Devices
                      - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

Lol, CNET...the site that only takes iphones and TV Boxes from commercially known TV boxes....

"It's more expensive than any other streamer and doesn't include a remote, aside from the game controller. Native app selection is still weaker than that of Roku, Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV."

Really...is that so...who would have thunk that something with superior hardware would cost more...lol.... And when you compare the Shield to China based companies offering hardware with the performance similar to the Shield youll see that it beats them out as well..

App short falls...In what way...? You can side load apps.. That review is such a joke.

The Shield is sitting in the thrown right now.

Comment

It's funny that in 2015 the Shied TV was already the best android tv box.

Not much has changed since! BTW they just released 2 new versions end of last year (source: https://www.lereviewist.com/best-android-tv-box/)
                          • Uses the new 25% faster X1+ processor
                          • Now also supports Dolby Vision HDR on platforms like Netflix and Amazon Prime
                          • AI-upscaling significantly improves video quality
                          • Plays Amazon and Google Play Music straight from the box
                          • You can use Amazon Echo or Google Home to control it hands-free
                          • Streams Netflix, YouTube, and Amazon Prime Video in 4K HDR
                          What do you guys think?

Comment

Working...
                          X