Is there an external USB HD size limit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there an external USB HD size limit?

I bought a Seagate portable HD, it 4TB, and I have been having the worst time ever trying to get it to work.

Sometimes it works, most times it does, other time it's just plain f'd up.

I reformatted it to exFat and still no go. Finally I partitioned it to Two 2TB drives.

Finally it worked. Did I get lucky or does the X7/android/Kodi have a 2TB limit? And if so, is there a patch? Or does someone else know something else I can do?

Thanks......

i think the limit is 3TB actually. Thats what i have and i know it works. but i've heard lots of complaints about anything more than that.

Comment

Thanks.

Do you have a 3TB USB Desktop Drive? Or a 3TB USB portable drive?

And how full is your 3TB drive?

Comment

The best HDD-Size for such devices like SmartTVs and Android TV Boxes are 1 TB. Greater HDDs than 3 TB must be split in to more as one partition to let the device correct working. Attention at HDDs with more than 1 TB and nearly full space. Some devices cannot handle it properly.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 10 mit Tapatalk

Comment

I heard than 2.5TB is max suported. I use 1TB adata and was problem when was full because it need more power then. I change ma usb to microusb 3.0 cable to 2xUSB(one is data and one usb hive extra power from second usb slot) to micro usb 3.0 and now all is good even when is full.

Wysłane z mojego LG-D620 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Comment

I think that the problem is the power over usb. The better way is to use a external hdd with own poweradapter. My 3.5" HDD (1 TB) works better than the ext. 2.5 HDD (500 GB) without a own power connection. My question: is it only the problem with X7 and pre-versions or is this a general problem also with later devices like the Windows-Device?

Comment

Yes. I can answer my own question now.

I have successfully been using a 4TB external portable HD with my Minix x7. The key is power. I have USB Y cable. One end goes in to the HD, the other end goes into the Minix box, and the 3rd end plugs in to the wall using a those small USB power adapters.

No problems.

Comment

If you use an externally powered USB 3.0 HDD dock, you can use any size HDD. I have mounted a 6TB HDD in the past.

Send from a Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

Comment

Working...
                X