Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

place inside for an SSD?

Hello,

I'd like to add additional storage to the X7s so I'm thinking about putting my small SATA SSD inside. Anyone else tried this already? Which SATA2USB adapter do you use? Is it possible to solder it without going to external USB port?

Is there a place to fit the drive at all (100x69.85x6.8mm)?

EDIT: There is no place for SATA SSD inside.
    Last edited by xbmk; 06-26-2015, 10:37.

I think there is a USB3 Port inside there you can attach the adapter. I want to do the same let's see if we can find it.

Comment

Originally posted by neomode View Post
      I think there is a USB3 Port inside there you can attach the adapter. I want to do the same let's see if we can find it.
      In the meantime, I found two SATA 2 USB3 adapters with different cabling which would be needed depending on the available space inside the Pipo X7:

http://www.****.ie/itm/High-Speed-US...-/251767452789

http://www.****.ie/itm/USB-3-0-to-SA...-/231589688135

Comment

You may find the PIPO Z3736F CPU does not support USB3 only USB2
        treboR
        Please consider
        Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
          You may find the PIPO Z3736F CPU does not support USB3 only USB2
          So, you would be looking for USB2 adaptors, instead of USB3 that cost 5-10 bucks and are future proof?

Comment

Originally posted by xbmk View Post
            Hello,

I'd like to add additional storage to the X7s so I'm thinking about putting my small SATA SSD inside. Anyone else tried this already? Which SATA2USB adapter do you use? Is it possible to solder it without going to external USB port?
            I put a 128GB USB3.0 Flash drive in mine, but had to add an internal 4 port USB hub to not sacrifice an external usb port. You would be limited to using a usb2sata adapter with usb 2.0 speed since the hub inside is the Genesys Logic 850G and only supports 2.0 and the Z3736 does not have 3.0 support by itself.

Originally posted by xbmk View Post
            Is there a place to fit the drive at all (100x69.85x6.8mm)?
            It depends on what SSD you have, most SSD's are in 2.5in form factor but most SSD's are also in casing where the SSD's board is much smaller than the actual casing.

what you want to do should be possible though, I was thinking about doing it also but you might just want to use externally if you don't want to solder.

Comment

Originally posted by KainXS View Post

I put a 128GB USB3.0 Flash drive in mine, but had to add an internal 4 port USB hub to not sacrifice an HDD.
              1. Where exactly did you connect your USB hub?
              2. What hub do you suggest to use?
              3. How do you mean "to not sacrifice an HDD"?

Comment

1. this is how I have mine, on the board itself the(not the front panel board) the usb connections are the middle 6 pin connector.

2. get the smallest one you can, I used the one I had because it was lying around and its pretty big for a usb hub.

3. typo

Comment

Originally posted by KainXS View Post
                  1. this is how I have mine, on the board itself the(not the front panel board) the usb connections are the middle 6 pin connector.

2. get the smallest one you can, I used the one I had because it was lying around and its pretty big for a usb hub.

3. typo
                  If I'm understanding correctly, you cut that 6pin connector and cut some USB cable and soldered them toghether, then connected the soldering to the USB hub? OK, you are losing 2 front USB ports, but getting internal storage and few internal USB ports

I'm leaning more toward drilling the small hole and solder the USB connector once I pull the cable through the hole. I'd then connect the SSD to external USB port.

Comment

Working...
                  X