Vega S89: Netflix or YouTube Won't Stream Upon Unboxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vega S89: Netflix or YouTube Won't Stream Upon Unboxing

So I bought a Vega S89 for my father-in-law for Father's Day, set everything up... like adding Google Account, signing into Netlfix, signing into YouTube app, installed latest Kodi (and set that up). Gave it to him today, and we streamed something on Kodi just fine. Then we went to play a YouTube video, and it wouldn't play. Just said there was an error. I tried playing a Netflix video, and it sits there "loading" for several seconds, then flashes screens (I forget to what), then "loads" for several more seconds, then goes back to the Netflix main page. I wish I would have tested those first (didn't think of it... the apps themselves open fine)... so now that kind of is a huge deterrent since I was trying to encourage them away from cable TV.

I saw that YouTube was already the latest update, and Netflix wasn't. I updated Netflix. Still the same problem.

The Vega S89 (not Elite, not S89-H) came rooted already. I didn't change the stock ROM. Everything else seems to work fine. What gives?

Alright... this is weird... I brought the mini PC home and was able to stream off Netflix and YouTube with no issues on my home network. I read something online (when I did a Google search on the YouTube error "tap to retry" thing) that it could be some weird interference with the 5 GHz band. I don't have a dual router, so that's not an issue for me (but then again, it's much nicer, with Tomato firmware on it).

When I hooked it up at my in-laws, they have a router/modem from their ISP that is dual band. None of their devices connect to the 5 GHz band (I didn't connect the Vega to it... just to the 2.4 GHz band). I'll have to go back over there when I get a chance and see if the issue goes away after disabling the 5 GHz band (if the router allows me... I hope so).

If it doesn't help, then... I don't know... I'll have to figure something out. I don't understand how the network would interfere with this. Netflix and YouTube stream just fine on their laptop. I don't know why I would be different for Android.

Comment

Did you remember to update such Apps as YouTube from the Google Play Store?
      IIRC Google has recently updated YouTube to quietly force users onto HTML5. So older Devices, that would otherwise rely upon Adobe Flash, are now greeted with some error message, or or other about the player being outta date. Thankfully since you have an Android TV Box... (Of sorts...) The trick is to pop by the Play Store and, and check for the Updates. At stock there should have been plenty of Google Apps that needed updating. YouTube among those.

-- It seems like my BS Answer won't help --

As to the 5Ghz... Assuming they have it, and the range is good... Would be the better option, for two reasons. One, NOBODY IS USING IT NOW! e.g. Less congestion! Secondly.. Sadly does NOT apply to the S89, and that would be speed... Even if your Folks had a newer 802.11 ac @ 1300mbps (THEORETICAL!), the S89 only does the standard a/b/g/n.It sadly would be lost on the S89.

But, I don't get why Kodi would be ok... (What were your streaming? Local NAS, or Internet Add-Ons?), it seems to me that if your able to get on the 'net with it over there, it should have worked.
      How far away is the s89 from the Router... Do your folks live in a Flat? Seems like all the more reason to use the 5Ghz a/n bands if you can...

Comment

I have the most useless answer for the win! Geekbuying just got back to me, and this is what they wrote:

Hello dear,

Thanks for your email to pay our attention, do not worry, we will solve the trouble together as following.

1. please remove the battery out, and then put the battery back, at last reboot the phone, as we know the smart phone is easy to have that problem after we do that , the trouble will be solved

2. reset it to factory, if it is the same, it maybe a soft ware problem, you can install the firmware here http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php...d-core-tv-box/

3. please clear the history and cache in the cellphone . And move some apps out which you do not use often or move them to SD card. As we know if the space is not enough , the issue will happen.

Wish you and your family have a nice day.

Best regards

Aviva

Comment

Anyways... thanks for responding, Ichijoe.

I saw that YouTube was already the latest update, and Netflix wasn't. I updated Netflix. Still the same problem.
          So yeah... I did update already and it made no difference. I went back to my in-laws yesterday, disabled their 5 GHz band, and it worked! No, they don't live in a flat, but their router is literally next to the TV box. Also, when I streamed with Kodi previously (when YouTube and Netflix wasn't working), it wasn't local. It was through the add-ons.

So if anyone else has the same issue, just disable the 5 GHz band. I don't why it would effect specific apps... but, oh well!

Comment

Working...
          X