Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Install apps to external SD card?? Please help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install apps to external SD card?? Please help!!

Is there any way to install apps to an external sd card that can be used from the mini sd card slot??
    I tried moving installed apps to the sd card but it just gets sent to the Nand flash.
    And before you ask yes I have tried app2SD and it doesnt work.

Originally posted by Justinbaileyman View Post
    Is there any way to install apps to an external sd card that can be used from the mini sd card slot??
    I tried moving installed apps to the sd card but it just gets sent to the Nand flash.
    And before you ask yes I have tried app2SD and it doesnt work.
    Do you follow the instructions:

1) download ex explorer
    1.1) (optional if you have data on the internal sd you should connect it via usb and move it to your external sd card!)
    2) open explorer and options set the root options so you can modify the root (tick all 4 top boxes)
    3) head to the / page by going back from the sd card find the etc folder then the vold.fstab MAKE A COPY OF IT ON YOUR EXT SD CARD FOR SAFE MEASURE!
    4) open vold.fstab folder
    5) so to edit it now is really simple heres a example vold folder from a earlier arnova tablet but looks to be very similar in fact identical..
    ## Example of a standard sdcard mount for the emulator / Dream
    # Mounts the first usable partition of the specified device
    #dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
    dev_mount flash /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/virtual/mtd/mtd9/mtdblock9
    dev_mount sdcard /mnt/external_sd auto /devices/platform/rk29_sdmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc0
    dev_mount udisk /mnt/usb_storage auto /devices/platform/usb20_host/usb /devices/platform/usb20_otg/usb
    ## Example of a dual card setup
    # dev_mount left_sdcard /sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
    # dev_mount right_sdcard /sdcard2 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host/mmc1
    ## Example of specifying a specific partition for mounts
    # dev_mount sdcard /sdcard 2 /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
    6) find this line
    dev_mount sdcard /mnt/external_sd auto /devices/platform/rk29_sdmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc0
    dev_mount udisk /mnt/usb_storage auto /devices/platform/usb20_host/usb /devices/platform/usb20_otg/usb
    7) simply swap the words sdcard and external_sd around!
    8) save the file! ( if this does not save then you have not done step 2 correctly opening the root! so repeat that!
    9) once all that is done close explorer and reboot your arnova 9 g3!
    10) presto you now have a lot more internal memory

Source: http://www.arctablet.com/blog/forum/...o-external_sd/

Comment

There is a way to swap the internal and external SD mounts to do this, but I'm not sure how it's done. Neomode might be able to help with that.

My question is, why do you want to run apps from the external SD? Are you aware that it slows the performance of the apps?

If you need more user app space, that is done in the parameter file when flashing the ROM, I think you would get better results there.

Are using one of the Freaktab ROM's? How much user app space do you need?
      Randy
      Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
      Read my BIO Here
      Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
      Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by csjohnny View Post
        Do you follow the instructions:

1) download ex explorer
        1.1) (optional if you have data on the internal sd you should connect it via usb and move it to your external sd card!)
        2) open explorer and options set the root options so you can modify the root (tick all 4 top boxes)
        3) head to the / page by going back from the sd card find the etc folder then the vold.fstab MAKE A COPY OF IT ON YOUR EXT SD CARD FOR SAFE MEASURE!
        4) open vold.fstab folder
        5) so to edit it now is really simple heres a example vold folder from a earlier arnova tablet but looks to be very similar in fact identical..
        #dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
        # dev_mount left_sdcard /sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
        # dev_mount right_sdcard /sdcard2 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host/mmc1
        # dev_mount sdcard /sdcard 2 /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
        6) find this line
        7) simply swap the words sdcard and external_sd around!
        8) save the file! ( if this does not save then you have not done step 2 correctly opening the root! so repeat that!
        9) once all that is done close explorer and reboot your arnova 9 g3!
        10) presto you now have a lot more internal memory

Source: http://www.arctablet.com/blog/forum/...o-external_sd/
        Ok well here is copy of my file what line do I change or do I change all??

## Vold 2.0 Generic fstab
        ## - San Mehat ([email protected])
        ##

#######################
        ## Regular device mount
        ##
        ## Format: dev_mount <label> <mount_point> <part> <sysfs_path1...>
        ## label - Label for the volume
        ## mount_point - Where the volume will be mounted
        ## part - Partition # (1 based), or 'auto' for first usable partition.
        ## <sysfs_path> - List of sysfs paths to source devices
        ######################

dev_mount udisk0 /mnt/usb_storage/USB_DISK0 1 /devices/platform/usb
        dev_mount udisk1 /mnt/usb_storage/USB_DISK1 1 /devices/platform/usb
        dev_mount udisk2 /mnt/usb_storage/USB_DISK2 1 /devices/platform/usb
        dev_mount udisk3 /mnt/usb_storage/USB_DISK3 1 /devices/platform/usb
        dev_mount udisk4 /mnt/usb_storage/USB_DISK4 1 /devices/platform/usb
        dev_mount udisk5 /mnt/usb_storage/USB_DISK5 1 /devices/platform/usb

Comment

Well lets not ever do that again!! I damn near bricked my unit doing it this way.
          The only thing that allowed, was to add a usb flash drive to total storage.
          Soon as I changed those values it blocked my Nand and my external sd card.
          I couldn't even get back to the "/" locations I had to go back in using terminal and over ride and rewrite a bunch of crap just to get be back to the vold folder.
          Thought I was gonna have to reflash for a moment there.
          To others dont ever use this method!!
          Try this command in terminal and it should force a true mount for External Sd Cards.

su
          mount -o bind /mnt/emmc /sdcard/external_sd

Comment

Well lets not ever do that again!! I damn near bricked my unit doing it this way.
            The only thing that allowed, was to add a usb flash drive to total storage.
            Soon as I changed those values it blocked my Nand and my external sd card.
            I couldn't even get back to the "/" locations I had to go back in using terminal and over ride and rewrite a bunch of crap just to get be back to the vold folder.
            Thought I was gonna have to reflash for a moment there.
            To others dont ever use this method!!
            Try this command in terminal and it should force a true mount for External Sd Cards.

su
            mount -o bind /mnt/emmc /sdcard/external_sd
            First! Copy all data and Folder Nand Flash to SD card.
            Search:
            And replace:
            dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/virtual/mtd/mtd9/mtdblock9
            dev_mount flash /mnt/external_sd auto /devices/platform/rk29_sdmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc0
            Save file.
            Reboot system, and enjoy!
            I do use it and it works perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by csjohnny View Post
              First! Copy all data and Folder Nand Flash to SD card.
              Search:
              And replace:
              dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/virtual/mtd/mtd9/mtdblock9
              dev_mount flash /mnt/external_sd auto /devices/platform/rk29_sdmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc0
              Save file.
              Reboot system, and enjoy!
              I do use it and it works perfect.
              Thanks but that just does not work either.
              That makes it try to boot from internal sd card.. Not the external!!
              It also blocks any external sd cards again.
              I checked in storage settings and it only booted off the internal sd
              This time though I was able to get back to my /etc/vold folder to re-edit it back to original.
              I think I will be good right now I am tired of messing around with it for the moment.
              Last edited by Justinbaileyman; 05-18-2013, 14:45.

Comment

If your device is rooted, get a good class 10 SD card (beware of fakes!) and install link2SD from Google Play. It's much better than apps2SD anyway, as it doesn't just move the apk to SD, it also moves the dex and library files. Only the app's data remains in internal mem.

Here's a pretty good tutorial in setting it up:
                Link2SD is an android application by Bulent Akpinar that lets you move apps and games to the 2nd partition of your SD card. Why do we have to use Link2SD when Froyo and Gingerbread’s Native Apps2sd moves the files to the SD card? Native apps2sd only moves the apk file of the application leaving other […]

Comment

Originally posted by big10p View Post
                  If your device is rooted, get a good class 10 SD card (beware of fakes!) and install link2SD from Google Play. It's much better than apps2SD anyway, as it doesn't just move the apk to SD, it also moves the dex and library files. Only the app's data remains in internal mem.

Here's a pretty good tutorial in setting it up:
                  http://www.noypigeeks.com/android/tu...de-to-link2sd/
                  The problem is that all these programs or apps are just moving stuff to the internal sd card instead of the external one like I want it to.

Comment

The problem is that all these programs or apps are just moving stuff to the internal sd card instead of the external one like I want it to.
                    With link2SD, you need to create a second partition on your external SD card for it to place the apps in.

I've just tested it on my MK809II - it works fine.

Comment

How do I add a partition to the external sd card??
                      I have it so the whole sd card should be usable for apps.
                      Is this done through Link2SD??

Comment

How do I add a partition to the external sd card??
                        I have it so the whole sd card should be usable for apps.
                        Is this done through Link2SD??
                        You need to partition your SD card using Partition Wizard on your PC. Everything you need to do is explained in the step-by-step guide I posted in my first reply.

Comment

Originally posted by big10p View Post
                          You need to partition your SD card using Partition Wizard on your PC. Everything you need to do is explained in the step-by-step guide I posted in my first reply.

doesnt work i part my sd card the app says your device does not support moving apps etc
                          i have a mx3

Comment

Working...
                          X