Dual Core Polaroid PMID720 at BigLots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cliftz View Post
    oh boy. Think I too have entered this abyss as well...Just bought the tablet at Big Lots for 99 skins and it's been nothing but problems...but, I am following this rooting conversation with great interest...lot to learn there. Thanks I'll update as soon as I hear from them. The email I sent them merely asked the question: "Why doesn't this device work with Google Play?" I've gotten three emails from them acknowledging registering the device and making a support request. Sounds pretty inconsistant and unprofessional so far.
    Hate to say this, but you got exactly what you deserved. If you don't know what you are doing then why are you screwing around with the tablet?.

If you know anything about Android Tablets, you damn well know why your's doesn't work with Google Play. Because it's *NOT* supported by Google Play.

Lord, I'm sick of guys like this screwing up the things they buy by installing unsupported hacks and then running around and blaming everyone but themseves for installing the unsuported hack.

Grow up will you? *YOU* are the one to blame for your problems with the tablet, *NO ONE ELSE*. Nobody told you to try and root and install Google Play on the damn tablet,moron.

Comment

Originally posted by c,lei View Post
      Hate to say this, but you got exactly what you deserved. If you don't know what you are doing then why are you screwing around with the tablet?.

If you know anything about Android Tablets, you damn well know why your's doesn't work with Google Play. Because it's *NOT* supported by Google Play.

Lord, I'm sick of guys like this screwing up the things they buy by installing unsupported hacks and then running around and blaming everyone but themseves for installing the unsuported hack.

Grow up will you? *YOU* are the one to blame for your problems with the tablet, *NO ONE ELSE*. Nobody told you to try and root and install Google Play on the damn tablet,moron.
      Thank you c,lei for your reply. I haven't tried to root the tablet. Through searching after I sent the letter I found out that JellyBean 4.1.1 doesn't work with Google Play. Because I don't know a lot about tablets, I came to this site for an education about them. At 57 years old, and knowing assembly/disassembly and some programming, I think I've grown up quite abit. Perhaps you will find it helpful if you take a breath from flamming me, and read what exactly I wrote instead of assuming and insulting me.

The problems I have with the tablet have nothing to do with anything I've done except turn it on.

Thank you for the warm if not off point welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by c,lei View Post

Friendly warning c,lei. I don't tolerate abuse of members by other members in this forum.
        https://public.bay.livefilestore.com...ion.png?psid=1

Comment

Welcome to the forum, cliftz. I believe, and if I'm wrong will surely be corrected, that jb 4.1 works just fine with google play.
          I don't think Google has a problem with it's programs being installed by users but for manufacturers to include them without certification would leave them liable when apps downloaded fail to work. A reason these tablets are cheap is because google isn't being paid to test all the apps on play for compatibility and limiting you to the ones known to work. Hang in there and I'm sure a hack will be forthcoming.

Peas out!

Comment

Matt, the reasoning is even more simple with Google than that-it comes down to $$. I heard if they don't include Google Play, they don't have to pay as much as tablets that do.

Comment

Thank you c,lei for your reply. I haven't tried to root the tablet. Through searching after I sent the letter I found out that JellyBean 4.1.1 doesn't work with Google Play. Because I don't know a lot about tablets, I came to this site for an education about them. At 57 years old, and knowing assembly/disassembly and some programming, I think I've grown up quite abit. Perhaps you will find it helpful if you take a breath from flamming me, and read what exactly I wrote instead of assuming and insulting me.

The problems I have with the tablet have nothing to do with anything I've done except turn it on.

Thank you for the warm if not off point welcome.

If you just want google play without root, follow the instructions here. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2301732 I made a minor contribution to the thread and it does work if all steps are followed. Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by elektrik View Post
                Matt, the reasoning is even more simple with Google than that-it comes down to $$. I heard if they don't include Google Play, they don't have to pay as much as tablets that do.
                I'm pretty sure Google would make more money if Play were on all tablets.A bigger market for their targeted advertisements,app sales etc. The certification payola is prob for compatibility testing.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                  I'm pretty sure Google would make more money if Play were on all tablets.A bigger market for their targeted advertisements,app sales etc. The certification payola is prob for compatibility testing.
                  I forgot the reason why for sure, nor do I remember where I read the article but I think it had something to do with licensing...

Comment

Originally posted by elektrik View Post
                    I forgot the reason why for sure, nor do I remember where I read the article but I think it had something to do with licensing...
                    Could be, could be. I'm just guessing without a definitive google statement. Licensing might imply patent trolls being paid off as well...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Google Play

I believe the reason Google has a problem with this tablet, and other tablets and phones like it, mostly has to do with the micro SD card slot. They won't authorize anything that has a SD card capability and they are working hard at crippling any function of an external SD drive that a device might have.

I think Google is afraid that having a SD card would make it too easy for people to share paid apps and causing them to end up loosing revenue in the long run. Also, they want to push more people to use their cloud service instead.

Comment

We are derailing the thread, but there are plenty of tabs with sd that have play, the new asus memo comes to mind. Piracy, mtp, drm may have something to do with it, but with apps so cheap it would seem play unavailability would be a cause for black markets.

Is there a consensus that bargain tablets like Polaroid will not include google apps to keep the prices down?

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                          Welcome to the forum, cliftz. I believe, and if I'm wrong will surely be corrected, that jb 4.1 works just fine with google play.
                          I don't think Google has a problem with it's programs being installed by users but for manufacturers to include them without certification would leave them liable when apps downloaded fail to work. A reason these tablets are cheap is because google isn't being paid to test all the apps on play for compatibility and limiting you to the ones known to work. Hang in there and I'm sure a hack will be forthcoming.

Peas out!
                          Thanks. I think you're correct about that... I've read so much in the last day or so-too much fishing not enough sleep...there was some mention that supposedly Adobe 'abandoned' Android earlier this year or end of last regarding Flash. So, Google is flying with HTML5 and that's going forward with jb 4.1 and higher I think...

My wife and I have had Droid phones for just over a year...so I've had an opportunity to look at it good.
                          Figured let me get a cheap tablet to learn some newer things on it. So I have the JDK, and Android SDK. Just plain didn't know this tablet wasn't working with Google Play. I do now

Comment

Originally posted by chuck3565 View Post
                            If you just want google play without root, follow the instructions here. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2301732 I made a minor contribution to the thread and it does work if all steps are followed. Chuck
                            Thank you chuck3565. I've saved the linkage and read your post over there. Looks good.
                            Last edited by cliftz; 06-21-2013, 01:32. Reason: clarity

Comment

addendum

Well, according to wiki. Compatibility testing is free. Google apps licensing is free of charge. It must be the hoops jumped through to certify compatibility.

Comment

Thank you chuck3565. I've saved the linkage and read your post over there. Looks good.

Yesterday afternoon I decided to root the tablet by using (Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v31). You basically plug the tablet's usb cable into a 32 bit windows computer and enable usb debugging on the tablet. I ran the run.bat and the program saw the tablet and uploaded the necessary files to the tablet. A screen with a restore all options button appears on the tablet. Depress this button and the program is supposed to say the rooting was successful. With the PMID720, this didn't happen. It stayed in the upgrading mode forever. I thought the rooting was a failure but after powering down the tablet and powering it back up, I had full root access. Titanium pro works flawlessly as well as FX Root Explorer. I hope you are equally successful. Chuck

Comment

Working...
                                X