No announcement yet.

looking for a new box - suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a mxIII 2gb/8gb I recently picked up and flashed with finless rom last week.

All I needed it for was to run a smooth kodi + fusion on 720p, so I took a little gamble not expecting too much and went for Alie instead of Geekbuying for once.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Genui...978119745.html

You'll even find these for just under 50$ too, but went with this one at $53 (including shipping to the Netherlands) simply because the seller had a lot of possitive reviews.

Flashed it, and was surprised how good it was, had it hooked up to my primary tv at 1080 for a week, and it works just great.
    To be honest, I have a minix7 and s89-H, and I can not tell the difference from performance, it even seems smoother (and that probably kudo's for Finless for making a super clean and stable rom).

Anyhow.. I was actually in here to do a bit of reading on MXQ boxes myself, since those 1gb/8gb are under 30$ now and would make a nice xmas gift if they have a reasonable kodi playback, but couldn't resist a post on this MXIII whilst looking

*edit* just realised others reading might want to know what mxIII I got at $53 and running on finless rom:

They seem to have put the price up to knock it down again on the big 11-11 pricing festival though.. just drop the seller a line
    Last edited by tim007; 11-08-2015, 12:41. Reason: add link to mxiii

Comment

Hi I'm looking for a new box also did see point in making a new post, I've been looking at loads of different boxes price isn't a massive issue but am I tight ass so high performance for the least works fine with me lol

I want the box for kodi and for playing 3d games but I want good support too and not end up stuck with an old brick so please advise according, been looking at

Mxiii-g
      I68 (read on here there are two models but couldnt find the higher performance model) benchmark score seems lower than mxiii
      aw80 4gb (not sure about support)
      Nvidia shield tv box (giving the price in the above box I looked at this one too)
      any suggestions welcome cheers

Comment

From what I have read, avoid the AW80.

Comment

MINIX Neo X8-H Plus is a good choice also, been thinking about buying one from Amazon.Youtube review. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uZKGcRj2-Q http://www.amazon.com/Android-Stream...AV2ZX3Z3XNSSTT
          ​Archos Gen9 A80S cm-11.0
          Kindle Fire 2 cm-11.0

Comment

Thanks for everyone for their opinion. MXiii G seems pretty good. Looks like the only differences to GTQ is the metal box and external antenna? I will plug cable anyway so wifi is not important to me. Only con is that MXiii only has HDMI 1.4 so it's 4K/UHD capabilities are limited to 30Hz. But on the otherhand these boxes are pretty cheap and it won't be a big deal to buy new when i really need 4K/60Hz ability.

Is there any news about incoming products that would be better ? I mean of course it would be nice to have HDMI 2.0 and 16Gb rom but for some reason all these budget models are limited to 8Gb and i don't really see a reason two pay so much for extra 8Gb. I really don't tv box right away so i could wait month or two, but if common opinion is that S812 is better for videos than RK3368, maybe i'll just order the MXiii-G. All i want is a reliable and easy to use box for watching videos from NAS, web browsing and for Spotify use.

Comment

The Amlogic S912 is still in development and could be ~6 months away from being released. It will also take a few months to iron out all the firmware problems. There is a new post in the Amlogic S905/S912 section with more details about the specifications. Going on past experience the launch price could be as high as $100 so it won't be a replacement for the MXIII-G for a long while.

If you are interested in the MXIII-G from Gearbest you can try to use the HTMXG coupon code or the 7% off promoproGB code if you prefer the GTQ (BGTQTV code may still be valid). I would also suggest purchasing a wireless air mouse as this will greatly improve the user experience. You may find it very frustrating to enter text or navigate web sites etc. using the standard IR remote.
              http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...787#post530787

I have been using an MXIII (older S802 model) on a daily basis for more than a year now and it has been extremely reliable. I often watch TV shows on Hulu Plus for 4~5 hours at a time and I don't think it has ever crashed during a show. I did test Spotify when I received the unit and can confirm that it does work. I have even been able to get flash working on the Dolphin browser using KK 4.4.2 firmware.
              Last edited by Lurker; 11-09-2015, 20:28.

Comment

Working...
              X