Root Polaroid PMID706?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elektrik View Post
    nice! and a good note. I read somewhere about the similarities between some of the Polaroid tabs and (one??) samsung model. apparently the drivers are close enough to where it'll woek w/the Polaroid. you should post which specific driver worked for future generations, lol
    I honestly don't remember how I even got to the option to select the samsung driver, but I remember it was the only samsung option that windows 8 had. There were only a handful of android drivers to pick from, and that one was at the bottom of the list. I just got lucky.

On another note, I am still having problems getting google play to work, and I am also on a mission now to utilize my external sd card to increase app space. I have figured out how to swap the "internal" sd card with the real one, so my "nand flash" is showing up as having all kinds of space now, but my normal "internal storage" is still tiny. Is there any way to move my apps away from the "internal storage" and onto my "nand flash"? Are there any other good tricks that anyone might have?

Comment

Sorry for the semi-late reply.
      I got around to uploading those files.

Here you go!

Reply back if you need any help, I honestly can't remember how I got market working.
      It was a combination of these apks's.

Comment

I got it rooted and pushed the newest version of GP to systems apps, and it worked! I also changed DPI to 140, and it looks beautiful, but are you having any issues with your resolution being a little off afterwards? I love the change and hope there is a way to fix the resolution problem. Thank you so much for all your help.

Comment

What exactly do you mean by the "resolution problem"?

Comment

I took a screen shot. I meant PPI to 140. I didn't know if this happened to you or if its the app I used to change the PPI. Or if there way a way to fix it. If not, eh its whatever. That minor flaw is worth the undeniable color improvement.

Comment

Did you try to edit the PPI from the build.prop?

Comment

Yes, it just popped it open and yes, its 140.

Comment

how to get google play on PMID 706

Comment

Originally posted by saurav View Post
                    You need to push Google play, Google services, and Google framework to system apps!

Comment

Originally posted by winemermaid View Post
                      You need to push Google play, Google services, and Google framework to system apps!
                      and how do I do it ?

thanx

Comment

Now all in one

I had a problem with the setup wizard apk that was in this thread. Ended up causing me to brick my tablet (my own fault because my "fix" method wasn't a very good idea in retrospect).

I found a better file and repackaged the root zip with working Google Play files.

So, (even if you already rooted) run the bat file in this zip and it'll root and install Google Play.

Comment

Tried script (Windows 7) - will not root PMID706

Hello!

I just picked up a PMID706 with Jelly Bean 4.1.1, and these rooting instructions are just not working for me. It seems as if the puppy simply WILL NOT open a root adb shell under ANY circumstances.

FTR, I'm using a Gateway tablet PC running Windows 7 Ultimate for ADB and to load the drivers (generic) for the 706. The puppy's heavier than a brick, but used, it only cost me half what the tablet did.

After playing around some with the procedure, it seems as if about as far as I was able to get was to do the temp.bak part before the first reboot, and THAT took some doing. ADB is communicating with the tablet and the tablet is in USB debug mode, but I lost the option to toggle off USB storage mode at some point in the process.

Other than THAT, the tablet is no worse for wear. Bob willing, perhaps he can walk me through another ROM dump and root it for us, like he did for the NextBook 7P. Then again, I may just wipe it and return it...

Like always, ST doesn't have an image to reflash it with posted yet. It would seem as if they're preoccupied with replacing a bunch of defective chargers for the tablet/keyboard bundle at the moment. I didn't bother playing THEIR replacement charger game; I just took the two I bought with bum wall warts back. They REALLY should have designed it to charge through the USB port, but all the other el cheapo tablets also seem to have a separate power port. (MAJOR bummer!).

BTW, the keyboard with mini USB connector and a mini/micro adapter is also being sold as a $10 separate item, depending on where you buy one...

73 DE N4RPS
                          Rob

Comment

Originally posted by N4RPS View Post
                            Hello!

I just picked up a PMID706 with Jelly Bean 4.1.1, and these rooting instructions are just not working for me. It seems as if the puppy simply WILL NOT open a root adb shell under ANY circumstances.

FTR, I'm using a Gateway tablet PC running Windows 7 Ultimate for ADB and to load the drivers (generic) for the 706. The puppy's heavier than a brick, but used, it only cost me half what the tablet did.

After playing around some with the procedure, it seems as if about as far as I was able to get was to do the temp.bak part before the first reboot, and THAT took some doing. ADB is communicating with the tablet and the tablet is in USB debug mode, but I lost the option to toggle off USB storage mode at some point in the process.

Other than THAT, the tablet is no worse for wear. Bob willing, perhaps he can walk me through another ROM dump and root it for us, like he did for the NextBook 7P. Then again, I may just wipe it and return it...

Like always, ST doesn't have an image to reflash it with posted yet. It would seem as if they're preoccupied with replacing a bunch of defective chargers for the tablet/keyboard bundle at the moment. I didn't bother playing THEIR replacement charger game; I just took the two I bought with bum wall warts back. They REALLY should have designed it to charge through the USB port, but all the other el cheapo tablets also seem to have a separate power port. (MAJOR bummer!).

BTW, the keyboard with mini USB connector and a mini/micro adapter is also being sold as a $10 separate item, depending on where you buy one...

73 DE N4RPS
                            Rob
                            I've had the same issues and have been trying various methods for a couple months now with NO success. Heck, I've even gone as far as using a Chinese root program (with a lot of help from google translate). It appears to connect fine every time, but nothing manages too actually successfully negotiate with the tablet. I've tried numerous ADB drivers, including the ones straight from the dev kit. All root programs fail to write. Daemons start and then fail......I've checked the obvious issues multiple times (I'm probably OCD now), but debug is on and unknown programs is checked too. If anyone can get me some tips, that would be very helpful.

I've tried using my win8 64bit desktop and my win7 64 bit laptop. Drivers appear to work better on win7, but all root programs stall regardless. My next stop is an Ubuntu live disk, maybe linux will work out better for this............arg

Comment

Cydia Impactor ftw

I finally got the thing rooted!! Thanks to the cydia impactor, I got the sucker DONE.

Now I just need to figure out the best way to get GAPPs on the thing. Initial attempt wasn't successful, but now its just a matter of getting the installation in the correct order.

Comment

Recovery/Flash mode necessary for install of GApps?

I finally got my 706 rooted with cydia impactor, but does anyone have a suggestion about how to get the google play store to load? I've tried a few different ways, but had no luck. I also haven't figured out how to get this into Flash mode. Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                                X