X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP. CS918 (Q7) bricked? "missing bitmap" "failed to mount"

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me.

I bought a "Q7" Android box from Aliexpress a few months ago, and I reset within a few hours in error (didn't realize I was holding the reset button).

Anyway, the vendor sent me the link to the firmware & RKBatch tool, which I downloaded & flashed (successfully according to RKBatch).

Problem now though, is I get the attached error when I try to use the box. "Missing bitmap stage" etc.

Can somebody, anybody help me? Or do I have a totally bricked unit?

Thanks in advance!
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Hello, There were a large number of this and similar models produced. Many look identical from the outside, but vary considerably inside. Firmware for one won't work or work correctly on the other. It might be necessary to open the box and get the board number, version and revision(may be a date) . In addition, while you are in there, take note of what WiFi chip is being used. If it has Bluetooth, look for that too. A good picture of the board may also be helpful.
    Post that info here, and it might be easier for members to assist you.

example of info from my Q7;
    XT-Q7-V11
    2014-07-14
    WLAN chip Realtek 8188ETV
    Bluetooth chip MediateK MT6622N

Comment

Thanks for the response RISCy Dude.

I did try to open the unit, but couldn't figure out how without it feeling like it was going to break on me. Any advise there since you've opened one previously?

As far as the firmware goes, I had (likely wrongly) assumed as linked from the vendor, it would be the appropriate firmware for my device.
      Would that message on screen be indicative of incorrect firmware being installed?

I'm at work at the moment, so won't be able to open the unit right away, but will this evening. Hopefully somebody can give some suggestions around how to open it without breaking.
      I'm assuming I start to pry along the rear of the unit (which I was doing), but when I've lifted the rear, I can't see any logical way to 'unclip' the sides?

Comment

Originally posted by BartySJFC View Post
        Thanks for the response RISCy Dude.

I did try to open the unit, but couldn't figure out how without it feeling like it was going to break on me. Any advise there since you've opened one previously?

As far as the firmware goes, I had (likely wrongly) assumed as linked from the vendor, it would be the appropriate firmware for my device.
        Would that message on screen be indicative of incorrect firmware being installed?

I'm at work at the moment, so won't be able to open the unit right away, but will this evening. Hopefully somebody can give some suggestions around how to open it without breaking.
        I'm assuming I start to pry along the rear of the unit (which I was doing), but when I've lifted the rear, I can't see any logical way to 'unclip' the sides?
        CAUTION: There are screws(4) under the rubber pads(feet), once removed, a guitar pick or similar tool can be used to pop the top. If I remember correctly, starting at the middle-rear was easiest to insert the pick to begin. Once in, gently slide the tool towards the corner, then work your way around. Let me know if you have any trouble.

Comment

Thanks for the advise RISCy, I'll try it when I get home.

Comment

Ok, can't necessarily identify all chips....but I've got:

XT-Q7V-V10
            2014-08-15
            Realtek 8188ETV
            F823-B-183-A
            Rockchip RK1000-S
            1032KV is on a little blue circle covering some wires?

does this help? I can't get a decent, detailed picture

Comment

Does your box have Bluetooth?
              I'll be able to help more when I return tonight(1-2 hours).
              I am fairly certain we can find you the correct firmware.
              Hang in there.

Comment

A pic to show the location of the Bluetooth chip on my Q7. Also, you may require a magnifier to see the chip on your board clearly.

Comment

I do not have a lot of time or experience on the Q7. So it will be important for you to make sure you get the right firmware. I am not trying to be difficult, and will help where I can, but as with all of us, flashing your device is done at your own risk.

If you google the term, "freaktab XT-Q7V-V10", for a narrower search or " XT-Q7V-V10", for a wider search, you will see much info on boards with that #.

If I remember, I used firmware posted by Geekbuying, on my Q7(2GB/8GB w/Bluetooth, board #XT-Q7-V11). I cannot know for sure, as I recently lost the hard drive where I kept all of that stuff.

Look at some of the stuff you find from searching as stated above, I will try to help if you have questions.
                  Others here are far more versed on this box, your search will help you find those folks and get you better help than I can offer.
                  Wish I could help more directly.

BTW This is just FYI, but Geekbuying's blog has some info on the different versions of these RK3188 boxes. It is not 100% inclusive, but it will give you some perspective on your box.

Comment

Thanks for the pic! Had no idea where I was looking.

Looks like I have the same chip as you: MT6622N

Comment

So, I tried a few different images I found from various places. Majority of the time the files were tiny (after unzipping) and RKTool didn't recognize as valid images.

Found the one via this link: http://chinagadgetsreviews.blogspot....itkat-for.html
                      Appeared to flash ok, RKTool reported successful, but the unit will not even turn on now. Button stays red.

I think it's about time I give up wasting time on this unit.

Comment

If you are right-clicking links you have tried for firmware and selecting "save target as" or "save link as", etc, you may not be getting the file, but are instead getting a download of the download page, not the firmware file. Many of the files are hosted at places like Mega, these places won't let you right-click to save target. This may explain why you ended up with some very small files.

If you have not tried the firmware, here(528MB size), from Geekbuying, try it before you give up. The archive password is geekbuying.com. This is the firmware I used on my box. Others in some threads claim the XT-Q7V-V10(yours) can use the same firmware as the XT-Q7-V11(mine). They seem to share the same hardware components. The link above is to the file, this link is to the blog page at Geekbuying where the file was linked.

I have not forgotten about you, and still want to help. Whatever we do, if there is a timeframe that limits your ability to return the box, we don't want to exceed it. Just in case something is actually wrong with the box.
                        Try the firmware linked above and post back the results. We will go from there.
                        Good luck.

Comment

I'll try that this evening RISCy Dude, thanks for the links.

As far as timescale goes, I don't have one. It'll either work or it won't. Because the vendor would not provide any assistance with Firmware, Aliexpress mitigated a refund for the majority of the cost of the unit.
                          If I can get it up and running, great. If I can't, I'm not out much money at all - even at the full value, I don't think I'd be prepared to ship it back anyway.

Comment

I've also just ordered a Nexus Player (on sale for $69CDN) so if I can get this box up & running, I can have 2 TVs using, otherwise I'll just use the Nexus in my basement.

Comment

I'm glad to hear Aliexpress compensated you, returns to China suck. So really, we can only go up from here.
                              If after trying the firmware, there is still a problem, other solutions are still possible. If you decide to keep trying to get it working, I'll help where I can.
                              Good day.

Comment

Working...
                              X