Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do all RK3066 based sticks render always at 16 bit colour depth???? and framerate stability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do all RK3066 based sticks render always at 16 bit colour depth???? and framerate stability

Hi, I recently bought a RK3066 (UG802 clone) stick. This is my first Android device and I was surprised to find it renders EVERYTHING at 16 bit colour depth,no matter which screen mode you choose.

The interface gradients show huge banding, and alpha effects in 3d games have terrible dithering.

On the other hand, I can't get smooth 60 fps in simple games or emulators such as jetpack joyride. I think there is some problem with the reported refresh rate.

Retroarch emulator reports a 61.lots_of_decimal refresh rate, which I believe it confuses the 3d drivers and makes every single game to skip frames regularly.

The only game which doesn't show skipped frames so far is Candy Crush, which I believe uses a different way to render its graphics.

Any idea about all this?

(of course I've tried several different roms with the same results)

Yep, welcome to the rk3066

There won't be a fix unless the source code is released, and that's not happening.
    Currently Using:
    2 x Nvidia Shield TV | MiniMX III
    Retired Devices:
    MiniMX III-II | Mk808b Pro | Mk808b Plus | Raspberry Pi 1 + 2 | UBOX R89 | MK808 | MK808b | CS008 | X1 4K (rk3288_809) | CYX_809III | Ouya | CX-919 | S82 Plus | Tronstmart R68

Comment

Originally posted by ididmytime View Post
      Yep, welcome to the rk3066

There won't be a fix unless the source code is released, and that's not happening.
      Doh...

Thanks for the answer.

Too cheap to be good.

So...does other SoC have real 24 bit colour?

Comment

Originally posted by VooD View Post
        Doh...

Thanks for the answer.

Too cheap to be good.

So...does other SoC have real 24 bit colour?
        The vast majoirty of them no.

Look for ones with open source, but you're looking at probably 3x the price of an rk3066 device.
        Currently Using:
        2 x Nvidia Shield TV | MiniMX III
        Retired Devices:
        MiniMX III-II | Mk808b Pro | Mk808b Plus | Raspberry Pi 1 + 2 | UBOX R89 | MK808 | MK808b | CS008 | X1 4K (rk3288_809) | CYX_809III | Ouya | CX-919 | S82 Plus | Tronstmart R68

Comment

I´d have to check for sure but I´m pretty sure my gk802 freescale i.mx6 units did 24 or 32 bit color. I noticed a difference right away as I recall. I have since turned them both into ubuntu units but perhaps I should look at current available android firmware now. I had some problems with the roms available as I recall.
          If my work benefits you and you want to help out the cause, feel free to

http://www.hoaby.com/android/donate.gif

Comment

I installed many apps that report display info and found out that the display mode is RGBA8888 which
            Is 32 bit , i also displayed many images and videos and did a side by side comparison between UG007
            And a pc with Nvidia 680 GTX and found the display is very identical , no banding what so ever on
            the UG007.

To my understanding that the only thing that RK3066 devices are rendering in 16 bit is the Pixel shaders or any texture that uses pixel shaders for lighting.

However i can confirm the frame instability as the display info app reports 61-63 fps.

Please feel free to correct me if i am wrong as i saw this is reported many times so i could be
            Mistaken here.
            Last edited by opengl1971; 06-09-2013, 19:27.

Comment

Working...
            X