Beelink Mini MX S905 vs S805 vs RK3368

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beelink Mini MX S905 vs S805 vs RK3368

I've just received mine in the post and I thought I'd do a few quick benchmarks and impressions seeing as there is verly little in the way of it on the internet.

I am very picky about performance and this is pretty quick considering it is a low budget box with only 1GB of RAM.

The included Kodi crashed when I ran it so I had to uninstall and reinstall from the app store. I threw some 1080p 8bit and 10bit and a couple of 4K 8bit and 10bit encodes at the box and apart from a little bit of stuttering at 4K when Kodi first plays the file (over the network) it plays back super smooth.

There is no auto switching framerate my TV reported 1080@60Hz when playing back files but I didn't really notice any hitching during panning scenes.

I paid £42 for it on **** and I am super impressed with the performance.

There is a big caveat though, no Google Widevine DRM support and I don't know enough about Android to know whether this is fixable via software or not. So no HD Netflix, no Google Play Videos, etc..
    Last edited by TheLegendOfMart; 11-27-2015, 13:25.

I was really hoping that they will address the HDCP 2.2 issue before it was officialy released, oh well not a huge deal, mine was finally shipped from GB.

Comment

Thanks for the benchmarks and impressions.
      Is Kodi able to decode DTS audio?

Comment

Thank you for the comparison.
        MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Yes it can decode DTS and DTS HD MA I downloaded some test files.

Had a quick look in settings and there is a setting called HDMI Self-Adaptation which apparently is auto switching for refresh but my TV says 60Hz all the time.
          Last edited by TheLegendOfMart; 11-27-2015, 16:14.

Comment

How is the WiFi quality on this box? Is the range ok?

Comment

Wifi performance isn't great. It's struggling to play 1080p and 4K over wifi and the Mini MX is in the room above the wifi router.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLegendOfMart View Post
                Wifi performance isn't great. It's struggling to play 1080p and 4K over wifi and the Mini MX is in the room above the wifi router.
                Thanks. I had the same issue with X2 on Allwinner H3 that has the same casing and similar board (wifi antenna) design. Hoped it got fixed on this box. Will have to look for another model then.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLegendOfMart View Post
                  Yes it can decode DTS and DTS HD MA I downloaded some test files.

Had a quick look in settings and there is a setting called HDMI Self-Adaptation which apparently is auto switching for refresh but my TV says 60Hz all the time.
                  Hi. Is this box DTS and DOLBY certified? Can it downmix dts and Dolby with internal player, not KODI?

Comment

@TheLegendOfMart: Are Netflix and Hulu currently working on this device? There appear to be some DRM issues with the latest S905 SoCs so wondering whether this will have an effect on any of the popular streaming services.

Comment

I don't have hulu as I am from the UK, I don't have Netflix but I am told it only works in 480p because there is no Google Widevine Support.

Comment

@LegendOfMart: Apart from the Wetek Core, most of the android devices can only stream from Netflix and Hulu at resolutions up to 480p. You should be able to test the free Hulu service using stremr. You need to create a free account.

Once you have set the DNS addresses in your router you should be able to sign up for a free account on the Hulu website. You should then be able to sign into your account from the android app. I would try Hulu ver. 2.14 to test.
                        This thread will host older legacy versions of Hulu Plus which are known to resolve issues with older devices and older Android releases. For newer up to date releases I suggest searching APKMirror, they have been hosting new releases reliably...

Comment

I couldn't create a Hulu account but the app had a preview hulu button, Hulu and Netflix both work at 480p.

Comment

@LegendOfMart: Many thanks for the feedback. After reading about the DRM issues on cnx-software I just wanted to confirm whether they were working. Good to hear that they are.

Do you think that there would be any noticeable improvement between the eMMC S905 machines and the NAND flash versions such as the Mini MX?

Comment

There is a slight delay loading apps but nothing too extreme imho. If the prices were similar then emmc would be no brainer. I think the 2GB/16GB S905 will be EMMC.

Comment

Working...
                              X