Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minix Neo U1 ....thes best so far?

Hey Guys

looking to go for a new box... would you say apart from the nvidia shield.... the Minix Neo U1 is the best to go for ?

Tried the s95, but the remote lets it down drastically.

Thanks.

Did you try to use a different remote with the Tronsmart S95? Most of the bundled TV box IR remotes do not work very well. I don't think that many serious customers use the IR remote regularly. It quickly becomes very frustrating trying to enter text which involves switching between mouse and cursor modes using an IR remote.

I am using an AF106 airmouse (~$9) with my MXIII which has improved the usability enormously. I also use it to play accelerometer and gyroscope enabled games like Riptide GP 2, Turbo Fly 3D and various 3D balancing type games such as Rolling Seed or Labyrinth 2 Lite.

Minix generally makes decent hardware but it is expensive. I think you can get similar performance for a lot less money if you purchase a popular machine with good firmware support.

Comment

Hi Lurker

I have tried another remote, the air mice work well, however my main issue is powering the unit on, I suffer with back pain and to power the unit on have to get up and get within 1/2 meter.

I wonder if the minix ones are any better?
      Was also not sure wether to go for the neo u1 or the 8 h plus?

Comment

ancient: Have you tried to control the S95 using the TV remote? I know that some of the other S95 users have been using the TV remote via the HDMI-CEC feature to control the box. I'll try to find out if this includes turning the box on and off.

You can purchase this MXIIIG type remote separately and could probably get it to work on the S95 (you might need to remap a few keys).
        China-1 Stock | Buy IR Remote Control Infrared Controller for Ustick MK809 PLUS - Black online at unbeatable prices. ✓Free Shipping ✓Limited Time Sale ✓Local Warehouses.

Here are a few links describing the operation of the remote on Amlogic devices.

Continued below ...

Comment

Have you considered the cheaper MXIII-G/MXIII Plus devices? I have the older MXIII version and the remote does work up to several metres away.
          http://www.geekbuying.com/item/MXIII...65-362247.html

Geekbuying have a number of bundled specials on the Minix Neo U1 and X8-H Plus currently.
          Find the best minix neo u1 deals on Geekbuying.com. Easy and secure payments. Local stock and fast shipping.

Find the best minix neo x8 h plus deals on Geekbuying.com. Easy and secure payments. Local stock and fast shipping.

Comment

Thanks for the info... good to know about the older boxes....only concern are future firmware updates?
            How would i get those?

Thanks.

Comment

Also for the remote and ir sensor ... where would the ir sensor plug into?
              ( I Have tried the remote on its own, alas did not work at all )

Comment

ancient: If you still have the S95 have you tried to turn on the HDMI-CEC feature in the settings menu to see if you can get this working with your TV remote control? You may need to check the instruction manual for your TV to see whether this feature is supported.

If the IR range problems are due to the IR remote of the S95 and not the on board IR sensor, you might be able to get that MXIII-G type remote working on the S95 using one of the guides that I posted. You wouldn't need the external IR sensor. Maybe you could ask somebody in the S95 thread to test whether the MXIII-G/MXIII Plus remote works with the S95 and whether or not it improves the range.

If I remember correctly I think that I am able to power on my MXIII from standby using the AF106 airmouse (long 10 second press of power key) provided that there are no power hungry USB devices attached which is something that you could also try if you have any similar devices.

If you do not require HD audio support and other VidOn Kodi enhancements, 4K@60fps video support, the S812 devices like the MXIII-G/MXIII Plus offer good value. There isn't much difference in price between the MXIII M82 and the MXIII-G so it makes sense to spend a few dollars more on the MXIII-G to get faster ethernet, h.265 and Lollipop firmware support etc. There probably won't be many firmware updates for the older S802 based devices like the MXIII M82 so the MXIII-G type machines probably make a lot more sense.

Where are you located? If you are in the US or Canada you should be able to purchase a genuine MXIII-G/MXIII Plus machine from Amazon and return it if you are still unhappy with the remote.

Comment

Hi Lurker, my T.V does not support cec and the problem is definitely the ir receiver in the s95, have also tried it with no other usb devices atttached.

The mxiii-g does appeal... how / where would I get any firmware updates for it?

I like the fact if it is branded, and has a community support ie tronsmart / minix, there is no problem in getting the latest firmware for it.
                  Is there much performance difference in the s905 and s812 chips?
                  I am in the U.K.

Thanks

Comment

I have bashed the U1 before because I felt I spent too much on it, but for high quality video, it really does do a good job at playing things the MxIII-G cannot. If you don't feel too bad about spending 130$, its not THAT bad of a deal deal (for 2G / 16G rom comparable boxes are over 80$ anyway. Ive been regretting less and less over time.

Note.. The Remote sucks, and in my ROM (I received the current version OTA) HDMI-CEC seems wonky with the power-on. It turns off but never on again, but I think i it may be fixed in a newer ROM they haven't pushed yet but my solution was to disable HDMI-CEC power toggle and leave the thing on all the time.

Comment

Hi Rapalax

Thanks for the input... what is the actual range on the supplied remote?
                      Have you tried the wifi remotes... do they power it on an off?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X