X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unbrick'd M8S after OpenElec, now what?

My Box: Eny OTT M8 K200
    PCB: M8 V8_1 201501418

The purpose for this post is as follows: (so read/ignore as appropriate)
    1. Proper method to identify Box specs
    2. Why it didn't go into recovery mode
    3. Give kudos to this forum for Unbrick'ing my box
    4. Proper method to be prepared for brick condition in future
    5. Feedback on OpenElec and other boxes

1. Per Method to Identify Box Specs
    What is the proper method to identify exactly what I have? It appears to have different assembled parts.
    - Box case is Eny OTT M8
    - Settings in ADB GUI says: K200, Android 4.4.2, ubuntu@google-server#1 3.10.33, build KOT49H20150623 test-keys
    - Board has M8 V8_1 201501418
    - When it boots, CPU says M9 and other details
    - LED portion of board (which obv doesn't matter) has different stamp
    - Check CPU or memory chip on board?
    - If I have M8S, what is M8S vs M8s+?

2. Why No Recovery Mode?

After I unbrick'd my box with m8s_ap6330_8g2g_150818_USB升级.rar (Details at bottom of this post),
    - I made a SDcard with some firmware of my choice
    - Plugged in HDMI, and nice to haves (wireless keyboard, Ethernet), and started the box with toothpick method.

This did not go into recovery mode rather just booted into ADB GUI. Why? It doesn't really matter because the box booted up and if I want to apply an update now I can just go into the ADB GUI Update&Backup program, but it would be good to understand.

3. Give Kudos to this Forum

Kudos to JustMe, perpetual, Ploggy, hipisxbit, etc. I mostly used these to get to the solution: (details of unbrick at bottom of this post):

4. Proper Recovery Preparedness

What are the detailed steps of the proper method to proactively prepare for recovering your system due to flashing bad ROM or other? I guess this would be some ongoing method of grabbing last known firmware, etc. and making backup. Going back to an OEM firmware like I did should be the last resort.

5. OpenElec, Firmware, Other Boxes

I would have already had OpenElec installed if the recovery step mentioned in #2 above had worked but now I am questioning my approach. In my house we mainly only use Kodi (and some Hulu which can be ignored here). I have had a Nexus Player 5, Nvidia Shield, WDTV. From what I have read, it appears OpenElec will be a better Kodi experience in terms of buffering, etc.

This is an example of a pretty scientific approach for choosing a box aka focusing on performance:
    A few days ago, I wrote an Unboxing and Specs post about the M8, an Android TV Box powered by Amlogic S802 quad core Cortex A9 processor. The review took

- Any favorites out there?
    - On best boxes?
    - Going to OpenElec?
    - Going to WeTek since OpenElec is native?
    - Going to CuBoxTV
    - Best Amlogic boxes?
    - Or best boxes that support OpenElec?

Which OpenElec builds?
    From http://amlinux.ru
    JustMe's: http://justmeroms.com/

For Firmware updates, is this the main source? It seems difficult to match up these coddled together boxes from all sorts of 3rd parties to the proper Firmware? So why take the risk unless you are having an issue that the firmware fixes?

My Unbrick Details:

I brick'd my box installing OpenElec from the OpenElec Amglogic builds (because for the board 'M8 V8_1 201501418' I learned from this forum it is the wrong ROM).

There was no indication that power was reaching the board at all.

After many iterations and failed Firmware imgs and error messages in USB Burning tool, these were the steps:
    - At windows boot menu press F8 and Disabled Signature Verification for Drivers
    - USB burning tool and World Cup drivers need libusb-win32-bin-1.2.1.0 but 1.2.6 is already part of Windows 7 so can ignore unless on Windows 8+
    - Downloaded and install USB Burning tool, version setup_v2.0.4.3.
    - The libusb-win32 World Cup drivers are needed which is part of the USB Burning tool install however I downloaded Windows 7 - World Cup Drivers.zip here:
    MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

- This is just for FYI but at the USB Burning tool install step it will launch setup for World Cup drivers, I initially canceled out of that setup.
    - Holding the reset button (the toothpick method), aka press and hold the audio/video insert, connected USBA to USBA from the Box to the Win7 PC.
    - The Box was immediately recognized by Windows (let go of audio/video reset button) and Windows tried to install drivers automatically and failed (which is fine).
    - WithOut World Cup drivers it shows up as 'M8-Chip' device in Windows Device Manager Once the device shows up as 'M8-CHIP' in Windows Device manager, right mouse click 'Update Driver Software', choose to specify the location yourself and point to the folder where you extracted World Cup Drivers
    - Unplug USBA to USBA
    - Reboot PC
    - With World Cup drivers it shows up as 'World Cup' device in Windows Device Manager
    - Downloaded m8s_ap6330_8g2g_150818_USB.rar, started USB Burning tool with that img imported, and then the toothpick method and USBA-to-USBA
    - Firmware update still failed in USB tool ([0x10302001]Romcode/Switch status/Check connect/Enum device...)
    - I applied Power Adapter and then Firmware update succeeds

I didn't short any pins, which seems to mostly be for using a different boot sequence such as booting off SDcard, setting up and booting off OTG. This is only for when you can't use USB Burning tool.

ming

Update: I used the OpenELEC ROMS update zip, OpenELEC-Amlogic-M8S-6.0 - http://adf.ly/1VLV3J, and the same thing happened - update goes fine, then when it tries to cycle it never comes back, blue light is on at this point, unplug and it is dead. I unbrick'd it the same as described in the first post then installed the app Reboot to Recovery (ROOT) by Tony Jarrell, then in recovery installed http://amlinux.ru/image/5.95.3/OpenE...3.3-update.zip (per http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...025#post529025) off a SD card.Works great.

What is the correct OpenElec update for this box? I'd like to get up to the 6.0.0.x versions. One correction from the first thread is the flash screen from the CPU is this instead: M8S, Quad Core A9, H.265, Mali 450 8 Core. Presumably, reboot to recovery again but with this ROM should work right? OpenELEC-6.0-M8s - http://adf.ly/1VdSXO

Comment

I have the same Box and I would like to know if anyone has an openelec for the version M8SV1... With 2 gigs Ram working?
      5.95.3 works well but only has one gig working it would be nice to have the 2 gigs of ram that the machine has on board!

Comment

Ok I hear that OpenELEC-AmlMedia.arm-M8S-6.0.0.4.zip has everything working for this box!
        The only Link I have found is on Speedy and it is too slow to complete the download so if Anyone has a better link Please Post it!! Thank you Very Much!

Comment

Actually the6.0.0.4 does not work on my box I need to unbrick it again!

Comment

Yeah sorry for being slow - I already knew OpenELEC-AmlMedia.arm-M8S-6.0.0.4.zip doesn't work. I read in a few places that OpenELEC-Amlogic.arm-M8S-6.0.0.2 from the 'devel' section of amlinux.ru / image worked. I was going to try that before responding back but I haven't had time yet. From my experience, I can only ever USB Burning tool the base firmware OR install something else in Recovery mode. I have never been successful flashing ROM with any other img, so I guess I am simply saying install OpenElec only via recovery mode.

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I now have a problem since the 6.0.0.4 disaster.....the computer recognizes the Box and all Image files I have tried Die at 4% any Ideas would be appreciated!!! Thanx

Comment

where is everyone finding openelec 6.0.0.4 for m8s ive been looking for it but I cant find it anywhere

Comment

I opened the above link it says 6.0.0.4 but when you extract its 6.0.0.2

Comment

Originally posted by Kezz View Post
                    Thanks for the reply! I now have a problem since the 6.0.0.4 disaster.....the computer recognizes the Box and all Image files I have tried Die at 4% any Ideas would be appreciated!!! Thanx

I had this problem before and the only way I could get it to flash was to bridge the pins on the board for the entire process. It may just need to be until it gets past the 4% mark but I didn't want to have to start again. After that it goes back to working with just the toothpick; needless to say I deleted the rom that caused it immediately.

Comment

Working...
                    X