Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it so hard to find a device that will do Netflix and stream from my NAS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is it so hard to find a device that will do Netflix and stream from my NAS?

I have been shopping for a few weeks now and I know there are all these reviews and guides for "picking the right player" but they really all seem to revolve around picture & sound - while all that is super important for most people I am just looking for something to give me usable Netflix and NAS streaming.

I had a basic little WD TV Live (cost me $100 CDN at Costco a few years back) and it did exactly what I needed:
    - Netflix worked perfectly (even the handy remote had the start/stop/pause keys to make life easy for the kids)
    - My NAS (WD MyBookLive) was accessible in 3 remote button presses and could play all my MKV's, my home movies, etc... (never an issue)

Now sadly my WD has left this world (thanks son for smashing it on the ground ...) and I am looking for an equivalent (or better) replacement.

I first wanted the Roku but the fact that I need a separate Plex Server was a huge turn-off. Then the Google Play (no longer sold in Canada). Took me a while but I thought the WeTek Core would be suitable, 2x the price of what I paid for my WD and air-mouse but seemed like a good compromise (and this still might happen - but the Canadian re-seller seems to be having issues). Then I jumped to the NVIDIA SHIELD, seems like it can do everything I want (real beast)... for 4x the price (because essentially I am buying a gaming console - which I don't need/want) and a controller instead of a remote (could get used to that)

So I am left with WeTek Core (if I can ever get my hands on one) or NVIDIA Shield (and get a 2nd mortgage on my house)...
    Wife and kids have come to terms with maybe needing to use an air-mouse ...
    Wife doesn't want 2 boxes (1 for Netflix like a Roku and one for NAS) but honestly this may be the best and cheapest answer ... get a Roku (Netflix) and some cheap Chinese knock-off Android box for my NAS ...

And now I am taking a last stab to see if maybe someone out there has a better suggestion ... I just want something to replace my 4 year old WD TV Live and give me the same features and usability for a similar price - or as close to that as today offers.

If you made it this far thanks for reading my non-nonsensical rant ... but my wife is going nuts having to get up to pause her FRIENDS on Netflix off the laptop I connected to the TV

Any comments, hints, help, suggestions would be great ...

Most of the Chinese TV boxes will run Netflix at a maximum resolution of 480p. If you require 1080p resolution then you will have to look at the NVidia Shield TV, Amazon Fire TV, a Roku, Chromecast, AppleTV, Wetek Core etc. There may be some drawbacks if you purchase a machine with better DRM support such as the Wetek Core as you may not be able to reinstall the firmware if something gets corrupted - the machine might need to be returned to the supplier in Slovenia etc. There is apparently a new version of the Rippl-TV which might also support Netflix at 1080p.
    http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/03/...devine-l1-drm/

If you are satisfied with Netflix at 480p there are a number of reasonably priced S812 and S905 machines available from Geekbuying on Amazon Canada.
    https://www.amazon.ca/Updated-Versio...art+MXIII+Plus
    https://www.amazon.ca/Arrival-Tronsm...smart+Vega+S95
    https://www.amazon.ca/Arrival-Tronsm...smart+Vega+S95

You could also look at one of the Beelink machines like the Mini MX (2/16GB @$57-99) or M18 (2/16GB @$64-99) on Geekbuying or the MXIII-G 2/8GB (rebranded MXIII Plus) for $60 from Gearbest. The Intel based TV boxes with Bay Trail and Cherry Trail processors etc. will also stream Netflix at 1080p.

Post again if you want any more information.
    Last edited by Lurker; 04-13-2016, 01:37.

Comment

He is incorrect there are lots of other boxes that netflicks works on beelink / nagrace 3288 just get a supported device shown in those threads. You dont have to get shield or be limited to amlogic host of supported device that allow 1080 netflicks
      Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Originally posted by scooter2014 View Post
        He is incorrect there are lots of other boxes that netflicks works on beelink / nagrace 3288 just get a supported device shown in those threads. You dont have to get shield or be limited to amlogic host of supported device that allow 1080 netflicks
        rk3288 realy ,i must try new roms

Comment

Moe123 hph rom working well and ill try a few more devices now that i have my account back at netflicks
          Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Working...
          X