Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend me an android box!

Hi to everyone!

I am looking to buy an android box that can run ubuntu or any ubuntu flavour like lubuntu, xubuntu..., booted from the sd card, without touching android.

I was first thinking about odroid c2, but with all the stuff needed for it, it would cost me more than 100$ (shipping and vat included), so i gave up on that, i am looking for a device that costs around 50$ and has 2gb of ram.

I have seen some rockchip devices running ubuntu, but i have terrible experience regarding rockchip, i will never buy rk again.

This box wouldn't be used for htpc, i am not interested in openelec, i already have a device for it.

what is the purpose other then linux?
    Prahjister ****MK808(nonB)****MK808B V5****MK808B Plus****UBOX R89**** CX919****MK808B Pro****Nexbox N9****Eny Em95****Matricon Q2****Tanix TX5 Pro****

Comment

Browsing, editing documents, torrent seeding, listening to music and similar stuff.

I think amlogic s905 would be the best option for that, i hope for odroid ports on these devices.

Comment

I have minix x7 and wetek play both can boot Ubuntu from sd. Haven't tried wetek play but there is info on wetek forum about it.

Customized THL 5000 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy21st View Post
          Browsing, editing documents, torrent seeding, listening to music and similar stuff.

I think amlogic s905 would be the best option for that, i hope for odroid ports on these devices.
          I don't make recommendations for a particular device. But FYI, I have a Vega S95 Meta(AML S905, 2GB/8GB, AP6330), there are Linux varieties and OpenELEC running well on it from SD card or flash drive. Thanks to balbes150, It works for all three S95 models. The Linux varieties are mostly Odroid versions of Ubuntu, ALT Linux, and then Debian8. OpenELEC is version 7 @ Kodi 16.1 with working HD audio. WiFi working, but no BT yet. Supplied IR remote works in OE.
          All seem to run well on the S95(I have not tried the ALT Linux). And, while not quite as fast as the RK3288 running Ubuntu from SD card, execution is pretty snappy.

Good luck in making your decision.

Comment

It looks like odroid will make many android boxes linux compatible, and that are really great news.

I have seen beelink mini mx running ubuntu on this forum, i think i'm gonna go for it, 50$ is a reasonable price.

If anyone has another device to consider, i am happy to hear other opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by RISCy Dude View Post

I don't make recommendations for a particular device. But FYI, I have a Vega S95 Meta(AML S905, 2GB/8GB, AP6330), there are Linux varieties and OpenELEC running well on it from SD card or flash drive. Thanks to balbes150, It works for all three S95 models. The Linux varieties are mostly Odroid versions of Ubuntu, ALT Linux, and then Debian8. OpenELEC is version 7 @ Kodi 16.1 with working HD audio. WiFi working, but no BT yet. Supplied IR remote works in OE.
              All seem to run well on the S95(I have not tried the ALT Linux). And, while not quite as fast as the RK3288 running Ubuntu from SD card, execution is pretty snappy.

Good luck in making your decision.
              Thanks, RISCy for the summation of what different OS's your Vega S95 Meta can do. I really like the part where you say that HD audio is working with the OpenELEC OS.

MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Yes, thanks RISCy for explaining me about the possibilities of Tronsmart s95, but your device goes a little over my modest budget.

1gb ram model isn't enough for me, and i do need to pay VAT(25%) and buy a bigger sd card, so unfortunately i can't take it into consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post

Thanks, RISCy for the summation of what different OS's your Vega S95 Meta can do. I really like the part where you say that HD audio is working with the OpenELEC OS.
                  Yes, well I only mentioned that as VidOn is usually required to get HD audio from that box. And the Android side had some DTS sound issues. I should have stated that. Also, I am not a huge VidOn fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy21st View Post
                    Yes, thanks RISCy for explaining me about the possibilities of Tronsmart s95, but your device goes a little over my modest budget.

1gb ram model isn't enough for me, and i do need to pay VAT(25%) and buy a bigger sd card, so unfortunately i can't take it into consideration.
                    I personally understand about the need for economy. I was aware of your target price, was not making a recommendation. Just pointing out that these OSes run well on the S905, and using the S95 as an example. Of course, I agree about the 2GB, just makes life more pleasant.

Comment

2gb of ram should be a minimum today, especially for resource hungry Android, using anything lower is pain in the ar.., except if you have some extremely lightweight linux distro.

I've seen that s95 telos comes with sata port, so this would be the best option for me, unfortunately it's out of the budget

I hope the porting community will grow, so we will have much more linux compatible devices, i now understand why open source software is so important to the world.

Comment

The Telos uses a USB to SATA bridge, so a USB to SATA adapter will give the same benefit on other boxes. Sometimes the Meta(2GB/8GB) will go on sale for $60, but who knows when. I did see an S905 box with 2GB/16GB for $41(pre-sale), so I see that is tempting.

Comment

BTW If you are interested in Linux on ARM, FT member peba covers alot on his site. Have a look around there.

Comment

I've been googling around, looking for arm devices supported, only to find out that rockchip has the best linux support.

Maybe rk really improved over time, but i don't want to risk again.

I've seen a new rk3399 coming out soon, it really looks great on the paper, but the question is how will it perform outside the paper?

Thanks for the info regarding sata port, i knew there had to be a catch.

Comment

Working...
                            X