Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to create an Image for Ainol Mini PC II

Hello,

I have AINOL Mini PC II with Windows 8.1.
    It is stuck from time to time, so I would need to restart it.

I would like to upgrade it into Windows 10, but before that, I would like to create an Image for backup.
    How can create an image? On my PC, I am using Acronis True Image. Is that can be used on my Ainol Mini PC II?

Another question: Which key I should enter while I upgrade it into Win 10?

Regards,
    Uriel

Not sure how well Acronis True image works but I use Macrium Reflect free to create images for all of my Windows boxes and it works flawlessly with Windows and Linux partitions.

It has a wizard that is a doddle to use and have created and restored images many times without a single failure so far (always use the verification option just to be sure).

You can also create a WinPE usb disk to enable backup and restore outside of the OS.

If you are upgrading to W10 then you won't have to enter a key but if you want to make a note of it just in case (even though most boxes have the key hard wired in the BIOS) then use Produkey to obtain the key.

Tom's Guide upgrades your life by helping you decide what tech to buy, showing you how to get the most out of it and solving problems as they arise. Tom's Guide is here to help you....
    R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

Thank you for this; I've downloaded Macrium and tried to test it on my PC before creating an Image on my Ainol. As a result, I've created a rescue media on my USB and tried to boot my PC from this USB, however, I got an error message that 'AMD Data Change... Update New Data to DMI'.

The structure of the USB seems to be OK (I compared it into my Acronis TI bootable USB and it looks similar).

My steps: Open Macrium Reflect -> Create Create Bootable Rescue Media > Next > Next (doesn't need to update the drivers) > Select the required bootable USB DOK > Finish. Now the WinPE files are being copied into the DOK.

1. What is the problem with this USB bootable creation?
      2. While I will create the recovery image on my Ainol: Should I both bootable USB and additional DOK for the recovered HDD? (or I can save the image on the bootable USB?)
      3. What should be the minimum size of the USB? (My Ainol has 32GB, but it has 2 OS installed on that memory).

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

That's not a message that I have ever seen before but there is a thread about it here.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t....130968/page-2

I take it that you can still boot up the machine normally?

On the first page of the Macrium rescue media creation there is a button labelled Change PE Version.

Click this to ensure that Windows PE 5.0 (or better Windows PE 10.0)is selected as one of these is required for Windows 8.1 (PE 10.0 covers all versions from 8 and above).

Try booting it using the Ainol as it won't do any harm to check.

Comment

I'm getting closer: I've created WIN PE version 10 and test it (again) on my PC, installed with Win 7. Now, I could boot from the DOK, and create the the image file, however, there are several files that Macrium couldn't read. Any idea what is the problem for those files?

Anyway, I could now succeeded in creating the image file, as a trial, on my PC.

Now, I've tried to boot from the DOK on my Ainol Mini PC. I succeeded enter the BIOS, but I couldn't succeeded to boot from the DOK. Any idea what is the problem? How can I boot from the DOK?

Enclosed here the screenshots. I've tried Boot Option #1 and selected UEFI: 1100. Is that correct?

Thanks,
          Uriel
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Additional try: On my 'Save and EXIT' menu, on the BIOS, there is an option to boot directly from the BIOS. So, I picked the 2nd option (UEFI), but a black screen appears for 2 seconds and then, the BIOS screen shows up (I did it twice). However, while I select 'Windows Boot Manager', the Ainol is restarted and everything is OK.

What is the problem?

See the short movie, here:

Comment

Not sure what is happening here.

Have you tried creating the bootable stick on the Ainol itself rather than your PC?

I know that Trebor had one of these boxes, so he may be able to advise further.

Comment

GREAT HELP!!!

I've created the bootable DOK directly from the AINOL, and it works now! (I had only 8GB DOK, so there is insufficient space, but I'll grab a larger DOK soon).

Questions:
                1. Does this Macirium covers the entire disk, incl. my Android OS?
                2. Why there are so many partitions on my Ainol?
                3. Do my steps to backup the entire disk seems to be OK? (All partitions are marked)

Thanks,
                Uriel

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

You can connect an additional drive to one of the other USB ports to use as the destination for the image.

I use an external hard drive.

Yes, Macrium will cover all partitions that you can specify.

Windows installations on these boxes do tend to have a few partitions, including one for recovery and of course, in the case of dual OS, partitions for each OS use.

Yes, if you choose all partitions then it will be backing up the entire machine.

Remember to specify the verification after backup (Advanced options, Auto verify image.

Also note that you can run the backup directly from Windows, without having to use the bootable drive because it will use VSS.

Comment

Eventually, I succeeded to create the image: Thanks!

I connected a USB Hub.

I used 1st USB port for my K400 keyboard. 2nd USB port for my 8GB Rescue Media. 3rd USB port for SATA HDD, for saving my 11GB Image.

Now, I have problems to upgrade to Win 10 (Insufficient space), but I'll open a new thread for this.

Thanks,
                    Uriel

Comment

Working...
                    X