MXQ Pro+ - It's working great!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MXQ Pro+ - It's working great!

After 56 days of shipping from Gearbest my MXQ Pro+ showed up. I've been following the forums to find out what I was getting into.

After plugging it in, making sure it worked, and checking firmware issues I opened it up to see what hardware I received.

CPU and 2gb RAM.

Factory heatsink on left and mine I used on the right. They shaved the thermal pad to not stick to the RAM. I applied mine with thermal epoxy. I'm running at around 66c now.

I was also glad to see I got the model with a reset button as some people have reports of this missing but then I found out it does nothing.

16gb Samsung eMMC flash memory. Looked used but performs very well.

Ampak AP6330 dual band 802.11n BT 4.0 FM wireless controller. First I've heard of them.

and a Realtek GigE ethernet controller.

After flashing the June 6th image I was glad I had the Play Store working and I was able to update Kodi, etc. It's been very stable for me now.

One thing that needs to be changed is the CPU governor. It's set to hotplug and changing it to performance enables all 4 cores again.

Here's some performance benchmarks testing with my other devices. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...=0&single=true

HDMI CEC is working with my Samsung TV. Things seem to be working out very well now for me.
    Last edited by Venlaw; 06-24-2016, 01:53. Reason: Spelling and tags.

is it not the robot sd firmware you used?

Comment

No.

Comment

This gives me hope that when my box arrives, it won't be a dud.

Just for clarification, are you using the latest firmware that gearbest posted in these forums for the MXQ Pro+?

Comment

Yes. Latest firmware Gearbest posted.

I do get the odd reboot and if it sits, sometimes, it just goes black screen and won't wake. Signal to TV though.

Comment

so, in one word , latest firmware sucks, like all ones before

Comment

I'm getting this one tomorrow with the post, quite sure I will use it only for openelec, and I also bought the Q-Box witch I will be using android on

Comment

Originally posted by kamacnik1 View Post
                so, in one word , latest firmware sucks, like all ones before

What do you expect for the price? The total is cheaper than a RasPi kit. Progress has been made and I have it working quite fine for myself and will continue to work out issues.

Want something that just works? Get a Shield TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Venlaw View Post

What do you expect for the price? The total is cheaper than a RasPi kit. Progress has been made and I have it working quite fine for myself and will continue to work out issues.

Want something that just works? Get a Shield TV.
                  I've used many similarly priced android boxes and most of them perform as expected. The most recent one that I used (the M8S Mini from Gearbest, which has similar specs) actually performed quite well, better than expected. The only issue I had with that was that I had to update the Play store, as the dated version it came with would keep crashing when trying to search for something. Other than that, the box runs smooth and even has OTA updates.

My experience with the S905 was positive so I wanted to purchase another similarly spec'd box, but with an AV port so that I could connect it to my PC speakers. The MXQ Pro+ fit the bill and I expected it to perform as well. Unfortunately I didn't find these forums in time and have one on route to me as we speak. Judging by most responses on these forums, the box seems to perform pretty poor, especially out of the box. But I will reserve full judgement until I receive mine (STILL waiting).

Comment

The MXQ Pro+ has been discontinued by the manufacturer and there will be no more support.

At the end of the day you get what you paid for.
                    People can spend $10-$20 more and get a device with support.

Comment

Originally posted by mo123 View Post
                      The MXQ Pro+ has been discontinued by the manufacturer and there will be no more support.

At the end of the day you get what you paid for.
                      People can spend $10-$20 more and get a device with support.

That's exactly why i'm gonna run openelec on this one, because it's android firmware seems to be pretty shitty

Comment

Correct, android stock ROM is not very good, but SD-Robots android firmware does his job excellent, especially comparing with ROM from manufacturer

and overall combined with OE installed on sd card it's not such a bad box

Comment

Originally posted by kamacnik1 View Post
                          Correct, android stock ROM is not very good, but SD-Robots android firmware does his job excellent, especially comparing with ROM from manufacturer

and overall combined with OE installed on sd card it's not such a bad box
                          It's not such a bad box?
                          Even if the manufacturer decided to discontinue the box yesterday and not provide any support anymore?
                          Everyone will see, soon there will be lots of cheap S905x devices with the 'MXQ' or a different branding from the same manufacturers with exactly the same level of no support.

Openelec or S-Robots firmware will be the only way to have a somewhat useful device.

Comment

Originally posted by mo123 View Post
                            It's not such a bad box?
                            Even if the manufacturer decided to discontinue the box yesterday and not provide any support anymore?
                            Everyone will see, soon there will be lots of cheap S905x devices with the 'MXQ' or a different branding from the same manufacturers with exactly the same level of no support.

Openelec or S-Robots firmware will be the only way to have a somewhat useful device.

I ordered this box before knowing that, and with openelec / sd robot we can make it a useful box, if those 2 didn't exist it were useless.
                            But as you say with no support, and shitty firmware, I wouldn't recommend anyone buying it because of that reason. but while I did buy it, im gonna make the best out of it..

Comment

Okay. I agree. Flashed SDRobot's firmware. Much better. Still have to set the governor to performance after. Running around 65c.

Comment

Working...
                              X