Pipo X6S forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pipo X6S forum?

After some successfuly experience with the 32Gb Pipo X7, I'm now trying out the X6S as I was keen to try the model with more RAM, storage and a more modern processor (hopefully with a more modern GPU too).

Still getting to grips with it (just installing stock win10) but I was wondering if there were any forums focused on this device? Seems like the only Pipo TV player one is the X7's... should I just post there?

Particularly keen to see if there is anything like the "finless" driverpack that was built up for the X7.

I'm not a fan of the factory image on this: seems like mine came with malware / compromised web browser out the box, so I'm not even going to try the factory recovery.
    Last edited by bahnstormer; 07-04-2016, 11:08.

Windows 10 Should Pick up most of the Drivers if not all there a utility called Double Drivers appears to work well
    Just make sure you get you windows Key just incase, and microsoft media creation tool, to get a new windows,
    Create image for a bootable stick and wipe the lot. start again easy.
    Cheers
    treboR
    Please consider
    Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Thanks - I'll bear Double Drivers in mind if I hit driver issues.

Mine was already on win10, so hopefully not an issue on the key (!) as I kicked off the install as I was leaving for work this morning!

Comment

noooooooo............. looks like the malware stopped my windows 10 from activating along with any other access to the internet, so no "digital entitlement" registered with Microsoft.... I've managed to find the Firmware posted by Geekbuying, so I'm just hoping that will let me activate (and that it's not also riddled with malware).

Comment

Okay, I've managed to get back to the factory image, registered it. Seems to be working, but I need to get some sleep, so not going to try any more tonight.

What's the best way to get the Windows Key? I used to use use Belarc Advisor or something like that... but not tried it for a few years, certainly not on Win10!

Comment

Many top be found on the net, start here
            treboR
            Please consider
            Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
              Many top be found on the net, start here
              Thanks - I Googled around and found Nirsoft ProduKey that does the same thing, standalone executable and looks frighteningly similar

One more thing: have people tried using the Powershell command to export 3rd party windows drivers (quite a lot weren't detectable in Device Manager), so in an attempt to create my own "Finless-style" driver pack, I tried to use this command from TheWindowsClub:

Export-WindowsDriver -Online -Destination D:\DriverBackup
              But I was getting errors in line1 char1: looks like I was missing the DISM cmlets.... should be okay once I've installed this ADK. Note: these are NOT instructions for other readers (yet), just notes for what I need to try one evening this week

Any tips appreciated - I've cobbled together a few PS scripts in the past, but the problem is that for months at a time, I do little more than execute the (very basic) scripts that I've already written, so I then need to re-learn everything each time. Plus, all my previous scripts are to do with getting reports on large AD groups with VERY large recursive memberships out to .csv files, so getting driver files is a whole new ballpark! (hence the need for new Microsoft software packs, etc )....
              Last edited by bahnstormer; 07-11-2016, 14:01.

Comment

Took me a while to get around to it, but a few things so far....
                DSIM cmlets were NOT required... I think they're part of win10 - I just needed to launch the Powershell session as Admin.... whoops!

The command worked VERY well.... created a directory with lots of sub-fodlers, one for each device, with a complete set of files required for the driver re-install.

On completely re-installing everything (removing ALL partitions, etc), I was able to add EVERY unidentified driver on first attempt by just pointing Windows at the DriverBackup folder.

A few negatives thus far:
                1) EVERY time the device is powered up, it presents a "PIPO_AP", which I can't seem to disable in the BIOS. Even after the device is shut down, the PIPO_AP is still there.
                2) The ethernet ports.... there are two of them, but there's no Ethernet NIC in Windows 10 device manager - only the WiFi and the Bluetooth.
                3) Activating using the saved key - hasn't worked, I ended up resorting to Microsoft product support (and they've recommended a re-install+updates).... tbc if that works.

Comment

Regarding the Activation error: it ended up being an issue with me having only installed the Single Language version - "upgraded" the standard Win10 Home and it activated immediately.

Ethernet ports + PIPO_AP access point are still annoying though!

Comment

I've also found this thread, which offers some advice on curtailing access to the device for every WiFi device in the neighbourhood - it beggars belief that the default is that it forces on a WiFi AP that is completely unsecure!

It seems that the device is a bit different to the X7S in the sense that rather than dual booting to Android/win10, it actually boots to BOTH simultaneously, except you can only see win10... and then the Android/Linux portion just runs a WiFi router / Access point in the background the whole time... very neat if that's what I bought it for, but I just want it to be a win10 media player WIRED into my local network...

Next step: try plugging my PC directly into one of the ethernet ports and see if there is an admin page for those, so I can tell the router to release the ports and maybe they'll work in win10!!!

Right now, this little box is scarcely a 2 / 10 product... but could be an 8 / 10 if I can find out how to switch the wifi off and ethernet on!

The UEFI/BIOS is VERY light on options - even less than the Pipo X7!

Comment

I bought the PIPO X6S day before yesterday and found the PIPO_AP was always on, open to public without any security control measure in the setup or Window Control Panel. Later I searched from the web and found the Chinese User Manual in PDF with section saying how to access the router and amend the router setting and SSID of PIPO-AP. I tried and successfully hide the PIPO_AP SSID and change the password. If you know the way how to access to the router, it is easy for you to change any setting in the router.

In the Windows 10 of X6S, go to IE or Microsoft Edge or any browser then type 192.168.1.1, a moment later, it will prompt you the user name and password, just type 'admin' for login name and also 'admin' for password. You can change both of them in the setting inside.

It will then go to the management pages with default is English, you can change it to Simplified Chinese or Traditional Chinese as you like.

Once you go to the management page, you can change the wireless security/Encryption Setting. and all the settings of the SSID "PIPO_AP". Remember to press "save" below the page for the settings of every page.

There is one thing make me surprise and also the first time to know that the reset button is inside the earphone plug as the manual said. Press it once will reset. Press 5 seconds or more would back to factory default. However, I also found a small hole under the HDMI port which also looks like the reset hole, usually using a paper clip pin to press. I have used a torch to view at the inside of the earphone plug hole for curiosity and nothing strange. You may try both of them if you want to change back to factory default..

I think the router is used for connecting the broadband from wall mount plug to the wan router port (near the USB port) and the lan router out port (near to the HDMI )to other network device. The antenne will emit the wifi through PIPO_AP to other mobile network devices like mobile phone or notebook. This will also extend the wifi distance longer to cover those week wifi receiving areas behind the wall in the turning areas. Just place the X6S in the area where it can see both two areas which divided by the wall or turning area. It would also serve as a Wifi router.with one lan output to PC.

Comment

thanks Chungtong, I'll try again... I tried that audio jack reset button a while ago, but it didn't work... I can't believe the DEFAULT is not only disable the ethernet ports for the main device, but then make it so difficult to enable it so windows can't use the ethernet ports!

It's sold as a mini windows 10 PC, with the ability to work as a router.... not as a router than happens to run windows 10.... so it wounded like i should do what I needed: I just want a low-end media player with win10 home wired into the nearest switch... definitely none of the router / WiFI features!

My home network has a multi-WAN dedicated router/firewall in an IT cupboard.... and then three separate (centrally managed managed) WiFi AP's wired in certain places around the house to get perfect coverage.... the last thing I want s to create an open access WiFi AP in the IT cupboard... it's unnecessary, unwanted and a security risk!
                        Last edited by bahnstormer; 09-17-2016, 10:16.

Comment

Hi, bahnstormer,

I am also very concern on the security issue that PIPO_AP wifi is open to all, that is why I want to set the router parameter, I go to the PIPO website and found the manual. What I have done is:- (1) to hide the SSID that nobody knows this wifi network, (2) to set the WPA2 security password for it if anybody knows this network and wants to join in..(3) Chang the login name and passwork of the login to the router, i.e. change the default "admin" login name and change the default "admin" password. I have successfully set my X6S with WPA2 password, it is easy to set just like setting other wifi routers. Have you try the small hole under the HDMI port? The Chinese manual says that the earphone jet is a button to reset the machine. Have you powered on the PC first when you reset? Usually we should power on the machine for pressing the reset button, just like the window pc. However I have doubt that the ear phone jet have the reset button. It is the first time that I know.. Try the small hole under HDMI, power on the PC and use a thin pin to do it. There are same tablet come with a small hole for ventilation. However there is a lot of holes on the left and right side of the PC, so why there is a small hole under the HDMI, for ventilation ? I don't believe! May be it is the reset hole.

Comment

Hi, bahnstormer,

After setting all the things, I also connected this pc with my home wifi network and successfully connected to the internet. Really, I found the WIndow 10 home was very difficult to master, still don't know where is the control panel. I am still using XP on one old PC and also a Lenovo C320 AIO PC running Win7. All software is now outdated, even Chrome, so I need a PC which has USB3, SATA 6, It is these reasons that I bought this PIPO X6S, cheaper than I upgrade the old PC from XP to Win 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Chungtong View Post
                              . I am still using XP on one old PC and also a Lenovo C320 AIO PC running Win7.
                              My highest spec (personal) laptop is a Lenovo X230 (I have three, but the best is an i7-3520M, 16Gb, 250Gb SSD) and my desktop has only just been upgraded from a C2QX6850 , but only to an i5-3570K - I needed to do a major upgrade (case and all), so this is the staging spec.

I've actually just replaced my Pipo X6 with a smashed up Lenovo X230i (i3-3310) - the top half is a wreck (cracked screen, broken chassis, etc), but the bottom half is perfect. So that's in an Ultrabse and it is SO much faster than the Pipo in EVERY way, apart from physical size. It has a 120Gb SSD, 8Gb RAM and absolutely FLIES! It goes from powered off to fully booted and Firefox loaded before I get back to the sofa and it plays all the media I need flawlessly: Netflix, Amazon, SkyGo, etc... the main improvement other than the obvious speed and completely control (no WiFi AP in the background!) is that the colour blending is significantly better with the HD4000 GPU.
                              Last edited by bahnstormer; 02-09-2017, 17:14.

Comment

Working...
                              X