Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The GOLE1 Mini PC(Intel Z8300) - A User's Review...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The GOLE1 Mini PC(Intel Z8300) - A User's Review...

The GOLE Gole1 Mini PC is an Intel based, Dual-OS, 64 bit mini PC with a 5 inch IPS touchscreen and battery.

Advertised Specs:

- Processor: Intel Cherry Trail Z8300 Quad-core, up to 1.84GHz.
    - GPU: Intel Gen 8-LP.
    - Dual OS Windows 10 and Android 5.1
    - 4GB LPDDR3 + 64GB eMMC, 64GB maximum extended capacity. Also available with 2GB/32GB configuration.
    - Bluetooth V4.0 connectivity: Easy pairing with most Bluetooth-enabled devices
    - Dual-band WiFi(2.4GHz / 5GHz) - standard: IEEE 802.11b / g / n / ac.
    - HDMI 1.4A connector
    - One USB 3.0 port, three USB 2.0 host ports and one micro USB 2.0 port.
    - Micro SD card slot.
    - Battery: Rechargeable 2600mAh lithium-ion battery.
    - Charging time 2-3 hours=2 hours of continuous playback, 4 hours standby time.
    - Display: 5 inch 720 x 1280
    - Touch panel: G + P, 5 points touch, easy to operate.
    - Support wire and wireless keyboard and mouse, flash 11, HTML 5, browser, video 1080P output,
    decoding 4K video
    - Power Adapter 5V 3A, Power Adapter available for US plug and EU plug.
    - Product size (L x W x H): 13.50 x 9.00 x 2.00 cm / 5.31 x 3.54 x 0.79 inches
    - Package Contents: 1 x GOLE1 5 inch Mini PC, 1 x HDMI Cable, 1 x Power Adapter, 1 x Printed English Manual*

* A PDF User's Manual is also available.

Some stock images....

The GOLE1 textured retail box was packed well inside a tight-fitting, heavy-gauge cardboard outer box with GOLE branding. All arrived in good condition. I would like to thank Gearbest for generously providing the GOLE1. A tip of the hat to DHL for getting it here quickly and in good shape.

Outer Box..

GOLE has gone with a "simple elegance" type of style for the retail packaging. No references to any of the things that might draw interest from Customs, such as Kodi, XBMC or WIndows logos. A classy look, nice kit.

The box contents are well-fitted and protected from the rigors of the long trip. Individual packages for the HDMI cable and Power Adapter. Unseen is the padded Box top.

Some views...

A look inside, but just a peek, not going to become more intimate with it at the moment...
    Seen are the AP6234 WiFi module w/snap on IPEX coax antenna connector. Also seen the 2600mAh battery(if my math is correct) and the mechanically retained heatsink. Also note the ventilation holes covered with screen to keep the bugs and FOD out....a nice touch.

Here we see the weight of the GOLE1. First image shows the scale weighing a US Nickel. US Nickels weigh 5grms, image shows the scale is reasonably accurate.

The GOLE1 Mini PC is somewhat unique among the crowd. A 5 inch IPS touch panel display and a battery allow for a completely self-contained, portable, Dual-OS Mini PC.
    A full compliment of ports/jacks, a micro SD card slot and an external antenna, round out the features.

Just getting a feel for this neat little device, more coming soon.

Gearbest offers the GOLE1 in two configurations, 2GB/32GB** and 4GB/64GB**. Power Adapters are available for both EU and US receptacles(plugs).
    **(RAM/Storage)

GOLE1 Indiegogo
    GOLE Technology
    Last edited by RISCy Dude; 06-14-2017, 06:41.

As I get a little time on the GOLE1, I am starting to get the feel for it.
    I was curious about how I might use the GOLE1 in my day-to-day. It is a curious device.
    My initial observations...

Is it a Tablet?...Yes, with caveats....

a.) As a Windows tablet, it works OK. Though, as one might imagine, a 5" display can be a challenge to navigate with fingers. And it is, at least with fingers like mine, which I would think are a fairly average set of digits. I dug up a cheap stylus from the junk drawer, and this makes the GOLE1 as a Windows tablet, much more agreeable, I'm starting to like the idea of the GOLE1 for this purpose.
    Sound output is, of course, dependent on source volume. Generally the sound is adequate. I set Loudness in Windows settings to on, I have no problem hearing the content. If I want volume and fidelity for some kicka$$ Blues, I pass audio off to Bluetooth.

b.) As an Android tablet, it works as one would expect. The only similar sized display I have with Android, is a Moto G phone. In comparison, I find the GOLE1 to be much faster, and in this case, the 5" display is an upgrade over the Moto G's 4.5". No problems finger-navigating. Tried a round of Asphalt 8 and found it enjoyable with tilt controls working well.
    Sound output is decent, much better than my 8" Android tablet.
    I have not been able to pair anything to BT when running Android, it just turns off and on. It will see a device, but cannot pair with it. I need to look into this further......and I will, if I remember to do it.
    The apps I have tried have worked well using the GOLE1 as an Android tablet, same when using as an Android TV box.
    The Terminal Emulator for Android was preinstalled, and curiously, there was a command string already entered, Android is rooted(Are these related?)....

Is it an Android TV box?...Kinda...
    Under HDMI settings, I can select 1080p@60Hz, and my TV indicates it is receiving 1080p@60Hz. However, none of the apps seem to be able to capitalize on the higher setting. I imagine this is because I have not found a way to turnoff the inbuilt display(can be done running Windows). This needs further study too.
    When using a K400 USB keyboard, whether using the GOLE1's volume buttons or those of the K400 keyboard, pressing (-) results in muting, pressing (+) goes to full volume. Yep, add that to the todo list too.
    Bluetooth's failure to connect with BT devices could be an issue for this use.
    If these can be gotten around, the GOLE1 would fulfill this role much better.
    But otherwise, the GOLE1 could be used in this way.

Is it a Z8300 Windows 10 Mini PC? Yes and a pretty decent one...
    4GB of RAM have Windows 10 speeding along. Plus, more USB 2.0 ports than my laptop, plus a USB 3.0 port. So accessories are an easy do.
    The builtin display limits Android or Windows resolution to 720 x 1280. However, if using HDMI output, WIndows can display to 1080p@~60Hz(builtin display off).
    Looks great on the TV or 1080p display.

Now to dive a bit deeper,....More to come.
    Last edited by RISCy Dude; 09-16-2016, 04:39.

Comment

Some AIDA64 Stress Tesing to get a feel for temps.
      Ambient Temperature(room temp) ~31.2c/30.5c(maximum/minimum)

First screenshot is 10 minutes of idle(note: AIDA64 was open) from boot. Second is Stress Test run for 20 minutes with the GPU test off(default).

These first screenshot in this sequence is a 22 minute run with the GPU test enabled.
      Second is the same test continued for approximately one hour.

This shows the Highs/Lows/Average temps.

I also took some temp readings from the case. The "Temp Taken" times coincide with the GPU enabled AIDA64 results above. A reminder, Ambient Temps are between 31.2c and 30.5c.
      The bottom and sides were measured. The side temp is represented by the side reading the highest.
      It should be noted that these temps are significantly higher than temps during normal use(not stress testing).

AIDA64 GPGPU Benchmark results.

Some network results.

First is Eth, Second is Wifi(2.4GHz). These results are fairly typical for the cave. Note: ISP caps at ~60 Meg.

Note:
      Gigabit Eth and AC WiFi unconfirmed by this observer.

From the Android side, some CPU-Z screens...

More to come...
      Last edited by RISCy Dude; 09-29-2016, 04:44. Reason: Add info

Comment

Nice review.

When connected via HDMI, through Android or Windows, can the touch screen still be used?
        R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

Great review, makes me want one!!!!!!!! arggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!111
          MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

bluesmanuk Thanks. If both the built in display and HDMI are lit, the touchscreen, buttons and tilt work. However, when using Windows to HDMI, if the inbuilt display is off(necessary to get HDMI to 1080p), the touchscreen does not work. I see something like a ghost pointer, it's hard to describe, almost like you see the pointer's "wake", but not the pointer. So not really useable. Later I will attempt to capture a video of the ghost(wake) and post it here.

clarkss12 Thanks. It is a neat device. Price is competitive with other Z8300 4GB/64GB minis, plus you get display and 2600mAh battery.
            My apologies for the temptation. We'll move you to the street yet.
            But hey, when you get there, you'll find the GOLE1 to be the perfect self-contained Android/Win10 companion and it won't take up much room in your new cardboard house.
            Last edited by RISCy Dude; 09-06-2016, 20:57.

Comment

Greetings RISC.

Thanks for the excellent review of this wonderful unique device. A few questions:

1. Is 802.11ac wifi supported?
              2. Is gigabit lan supported?
              3. Is windows activated in the 4GB/64Gb version? I've read such device requires fully priced version.
              4. Would you expect problems with future windows update?
              5. Can the android os be uninstalled?

Many thanks and best regards,

Comment

Thanks.

1.) It is said to have ac, but I believe the AP6234 module is dual-band(2.4GHz/5GHz) without ac.
                2.) Also claimed, but I think it is 10/100 only. Not sure I have seen any of these Windows mini PCs with Gigabit Eth, but I may have missed it.
                3.) It shows as Activated in Windows. I am not sure how the 2017 MS rules you mention, will be applied to existing devices with 4GB/64GB. I am not anticipating problems. I am not an attorney.
                4.) I have no reason to think so, the unit has already received some updates from MS.
                5.) I do not intend to uninstall Android at this time, so I have not looked in to it. However, I know it has been done on other Windows/Android dual-boot mini PCs, so I assume it is possible here.

Cheers.

Comment

Thanks for the kind reply, RISCy.

The lack of support for 802.11ac wifi and Gigabit lan is certainly disappointing. Yet the official Gole website continues to claim otherwise.

Pipo has a similar product X10 (and its notebook sibling W1S) with larger screen and battery. But again no 802.11ac wifi and Gigabit lan. Any thoughts on these?

The X6s has both, plus sata connection for 2.5" HDD. But apparently the RJ45 ports can only be used for router function. What a shame.

Would you know if the HDD case mentioned in the Gole indiegogo website supports native sata?

Comment

Some useful bits from the Unofficial GOLE1 Support Group. BIOS, Android and WIndows installs, are some of the topics discussed there.
                    Have a look.

goop Info there expands on answer #5.

NOTE: I have not tried any of the bits or solutions on that page. As such, I cannot vouch for their usability or suitability.

As always, all risk is that of the user....this is boilerplate.
                    Last edited by RISCy Dude; 09-12-2016, 06:38. Reason: Edit

Comment

"The lack of support for 802.11ac wifi and Gigabit lan is certainly disappointing. Yet the official Gole website continues to claim otherwise."
                      -Yes, these kinds of discrepancies are not uncommon in this market. Details on the AP6324 used in the GOLE1 seem a little scarce(for me anyway). I have found conflicting info on its capabilities around the web.

"Pipo has a similar product X10 (and its notebook sibling W1S) with larger screen and battery. But again no 802.11ac wifi and Gigabit lan. Any thoughts on these?"
                      -I am unfamiliar with these models. I like the number of USB ports on the GOLE1 and it is easy to manage the heat in long-term high-demand situations. I do not own an Intel based tablet, so I don't know how well they deal with heat in those situations.

"The X6s has both, plus sata connection for 2.5" HDD. But apparently the RJ45 ports can only be used for router function. What a shame."
                      -Other than casually(to the extreme), I am unfamiliar with the X6S. Is the SATA native?

"Would you know if the HDD case mentioned in the Gole indiegogo website supports native sata?"
                      -I have seen no evidence of the HDD enclosure's existence. Maybe it comes later, I am not in the loop.

You're welcome.
                      Cheers.
                      Last edited by RISCy Dude; 09-12-2016, 06:49.

Comment

Live booting Linux distros from the Gole 1 works, but no sound over HDMI, no on-board WiFi or Bluetooth. USB dongles worked for sound and BT, likely a WiFi dongle would also work.

Linuxium has assembled some ISO's with modified kernels for some Bay Trail and Cherry Trail devices.

I tested one of the 16.10 ISOs on the GOLE 1 and while on-board WiFi and BT still do not work, sound over HDMI now works.

For me personally, the sound fix was the priority, so pretty happy about it.

Big thanks to Linuxium.

NOTE: So far I can only get a boot to the external(HDMI) display to show. Inbuilt display won't show, but it does show up under Monitor settings. I have not looked in to it.
                        Last edited by RISCy Dude; 11-07-2016, 04:09.

Comment

Working...
                        X