Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Needed to Recover Hard Bricked MK902

HI,

I have just attempted to upgrade my firmware on a MK902 16GB using Ubuntu and ADB Tools and had to abort the process midway. I now have what seems to be a hard bricked MK902 (16GB) which I need to try and recover.

I have since setup a Windows 7 machine and installed the driver and installed RockChip Batch Tool and have heard that there is a method of recovery which involves shorting pins on the circuitboard.

Can someone please advise if this is possible with the MK902 and if so how to go about it?

Thanks

Robert

You have to make a Nand Reset to get the Box in Mask Rom Mode.
    While there you can reflash it then.
    For this, you have to Short 2 Pins on your NAND Chip.
    Mostly Pin 5&6.
    If not make a Photo of it and send it over.

Neomode

Comment

Thanks Neomode, that makes more sense now.

I've attached a picture, is the NAND the one with the 16G sticker on?

I've found 2 pins on that IC that when shorted make the device disappear from Device Manager (Win7) and then reappear when released.

I don't know if these are the correct pins though.

Could you please advise how I would know if the Mask Rom Mode has been achieve? I have a Win7 machine that I have installed the RK Driver onto and has RKAndroidTool installed as well as Batch Tool and ubuntu with ADB-Tools installed but wouldn't know what i need to look out for to verify Mask ROM Mode or even that the right pins are being shorted?
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

You need to short pins 7/8 to get device in mask mode. Works every time for me. 3 hands needed to plug usb in hold reset and short nan.

With photo so blury i believe that is nan. On chip will have small round indentation count from the first pin.

In tool once it is in mask mode will show up as blue and say device found in mask mode. You dont need power supply hooked up just usb. Press and hold reset then will shorting pins 7/8 Insert usb to pc with flash tool already open and running. Tricky with 2 hands but can be done.
        Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Ok, I will give that a go but i want to confirm that I am shorting at the right pins first. Can you take a look at the photo and advise which 7/8 are? There seems to be indentations all around the chip...

Comment

If memorry correct left side 7/8...
            Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

I'm having difficulty making it work. Just to clarify, was your unit an 8GB version or 16GB version? Also, do you release the reset button first or after removing the short from the NAND pins?

Comment

Both models same you need to just hold the rest until device seen in mask mode in tool.

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation but I still can't seem to get the results of the blue box in Batch Tool... I used the auto driver installation program from rikomagic to install the driver so I am not suspecting that is the problem although I don't know of a way to verify the driver. I can see device manager shows a listing for the rk device.

Is there an alternative method maybe on ubuntu (or physical indication) for checking that the device goes into Mask Mode?

Also, can someone who is sure of the correct pins please look at the picture and verify whether those circled in the photo are 7-8 and whether these are indeed the correct pins?
                  Last edited by Robert0; 09-06-2016, 17:50.

Comment

Scooter, does your NAND chip have the same markings or is it a different make and model?

Comment

Here you go, on the Photo you can now see where Pin 1 is.

Neomode

Comment

Thanks Neomode I was counting from the smaller circle top left of the image. The other side on the NAND has an identically sized circular indent as the one you've highlighted in red so I disregarded those 2 and went for the uniquely sized circular indent as pin one (top left of photo).

It still doesn't help to bring up the blue box in Batch Tool.

I am still concerned about whether I'm using the correct process.

I am (With no power connected)
                        1) pressing reset button in and holding
                        2) shorting pins
                        3) plugging in USB into Slave socket (other side already plugged into WIN7 machine with Batch Tool 1.7 open and waiting)
                        4) releasing reset and short shortly after

I'm not sure if that is correct or not am I meant to retain holding reset and short for some time?

Sigpic(Scooter2014)'s response said 'you need to just hold the rest' was that a typo of 'rest' for 'reset' or does that mean hold onto both for a few seconds until blue box appears?

Comment

You have to have device no power press and Hold reset and short pins and then plug in usb until device seen on tool in mask mode.... Yes all have to done in order and has to be held on reset till seen in tool

Comment

Thanks to scooter2014 and neomode for your patience and great advice. For anyone else that is following this thread with the same problem I can confirm that all the instructions and pin identification where spot on. After ditching the original Windows 7 Machine and starting from scratch with new PC hardware and a fresh Windows 7 Installation I have now achieved a blue box in Batch Tool 1.7 (mask mode) and am ready to proceed with the next steps.

Can you please advise which flash img would be best to use to recover the unit via mask mode bearing in mind that it's a 16GB MK902 not 8GB.

Also what are the recommended steps with Batch Tool 1.7 for reviving the unit?

Comment

Is the firmware provided on this page ok to use with the 16GB version of the MK902?
                              Specifically: http://www.rikomagic.co.uk/downloads...2_140515_4.zip

Comment

Working...
                              X