X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New MK802IV "Mini Maglite" Casemod

I gave up the 2.5" Iomega external hdd case for this one:

The previous case was not big enough to fit everything I wanted... Sorry
    about the camo, I guess I got a bit carried away when taking the photos...

Let me know what you think

That's nice!

Comment

Looks good.
      Is the fan without a heatsink enough to keep it cool with overclock?
      Did you connect the fan to an ac adapter or a usb port?

Comment

Originally posted by bakerbarber View Post
        That's nice!
        Thanks!

Originally posted by vkk View Post
        Looks good.
        Is the fan without a heatsink enough to keep it cool with overclock?
        Did you connect the fan to an ac adapter or a usb port?
        Thanks!

Yes, it doesn't come with an heatsink from factory, I thought of installing one, but I installed the 6x6cm fan first and after I touched the cpu to feel it's temperature it was cold, lower than rom temperature. This casemod setup ain't exactly new, I had a smaller one before that worked just as good, but lacked internal room.

System performance with the rom + kernel combination I'm using, is great:

I made the interior a bit more clean

1 - Micro USB male to mini USB female with power connected to the switch (2)
        2 - This turns on / off both fan and device, even though they have different power supply
        3 - This is a mini USB female plug where I connect the fan power supply
        4 - 6 x 6 cm fan to cool all the device components
        5 - External wifi D-Link antenna to improve reception, works very good
        6 - I didn't solder the internal antenna to the external, I might need to disassemble the case
        7 - This is where the hot air exits

Comment

I really like the switch thingy.
          Im planing to use this or this heatsink with an intel cpu fan connected to an ac adapter for full power.
          Ill try to fit it all in an old edimax router as a case, already has holes and external antena.
          Just need to receive the devices first .
          Can you tell me the 2d/3d antutu scores?

Comment

Great work Bruno!! Why don't you send a Curriculum to Rikomagic? In my opinion this is as it should be Mk802V

Comment

I really like the switch thingy.
              Im planing to use this or this heatsink with an intel cpu fan connected to an ac adapter for full power.
              Ill try to fit it all in an old edimax router as a case, already has holes and external antena.
              Just need to receive the devices first .
              Can you tell me the 2d/3d antutu scores?
              I would choose the copper heatsink, but try with just the fan first, probably it will be enough.
              That's the complicated part, choosing the right case and making sure all wiring is on the right place and working properly, I still need to receive a right angled micro usb male to mini usb female extension cable to have access to the otg port from the outside, I also thought of using one of this (http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/084/2...215084_547.JPG) for the old case, but this one opens easily enough to remove the card with no problems.
              I'll post the scores 2d 3d antutu scores later, good luck with your modding

Originally posted by RandomBoy View Post
              Great work Bruno!! Why don't you send a Curriculum to Rikomagic? In my opinion this is as it should be Mk802V
              Thanks! I don't think they want to make an android tv player like this because, they're not exactly cheap now, imagine how much more they would charge if the device came with all the additions I've made on mine...

Edit: 2d / 3d Antutu scores:

I really need to install a screenshot app... :P
              Last edited by BrunoNRG; 06-28-2013, 15:30.

Comment

I think i have found a way to Turn this units on and off with HDMI off the TV or Screen.
                Make a Draiwing of it may someone want to Test is ?

Neomode

Comment

Thanks bruno.
                  scores look good, when sdk2 is out + oc kernel, all games will run perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by neomode View Post
                    I think i have found a way to Turn this units on and off with HDMI off the TV or Screen.
                    Make a Draiwing of it may someone want to Test is ?

Neomode
                    I can test it

If the device is off, but has hdmi plugged to the tv, if I select the mk802iv source (in my case hdmi 3), it will turn on by itself, I don't know if this works on all tv's, I have an LG 47" LED and this method works, to turn off I do what everyone else does I think, use the power button of the notification bar.

Thanks bruno.
                    scores look good, when sdk2 is out + oc kernel, all games will run perfectly.
                    All games I've tried so far work good, it's the controls that are hard to configure

Comment

Did I made it better or worse...?

I notticed that the device runs hotter with the new case so I added two small fans that pull hot air out while the big one is sending cold (more hot than cold actually, since the weather has been hot as hell lately) in, I was expecting that this would increase the noise, but it's the same as it was with just the big fan. The reason I added this two fans is because I can't run a full antutu benchmark without getting an unexpected error which makes the benchmark stop. I thought this was due to the higher temperature, but I was wrong, I still get the unexpected error, even with the two new fans and after reinstalling antutu.

Comment

Try using a heatsink.
                        Or maybe the oc is too high for the cpu\ram.

Comment

I believe it's got something to do with the SetCpu settings I'm using but, just to make
                          sure I'm going to flash both rom / kernel again and try antutu before I change anything.

Comment

It looks very nice. Just a few observations, the power switch that you are using looks like it is designed for higher voltage than 5v ,so this might cause greater resistance reducing the voltage have you got a Multimeter to check. I see a red wire going under the board near the Processor it could cause interference

Comment

Originally posted by sam321 View Post
                              It looks very nice. Just a few observations, the power switch that you are using looks like it is designed for higher voltage than 5v ,so this might cause greater resistance reducing the voltage have you got a Multimeter to check. I see a red wire going under the board near the Processor it could cause interference
                              Thanks! I made sure no wires were going on top or under the processor, and you're right about the power switch, I don't have a multimeter, but after a few tests I belive the switch really is part of the problem. If I don't use the switch or SetCpu (if I use either, the benchmark won't complete or app will fc), just flash the extreme overclocked kernel and run antutu it will work with no problems and give a score of 18800 give or take, this is very weird because it worked with no problems using SetCpu in the past.

I'll reflash the rom and extreme overclocked kernel, install antutu and setcpu, configure setcpu to 1920max / 1920min frequency and use performance governor just to run a benchmark on antutu to see what happens...

Comment

Working...
                              X