Questions on Vontar Z5 SuperMax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions on Vontar Z5 SuperMax

This is another S912 based box - looks to be identical to the Mecool BB2 and the YOKA KB2. The stock firmware isn't great or pretty so I've been looking at other ROM/Firmware as I hear they can be cross compatible.

One issue that happened recently was the WiFi simply stopped working, with messages in dmesg implying the driver wasn't working or it couldn't activate the module. Could be a hardware fault, could be crummy firmware.

Either way, I haven't been able to get the box to register in the USB Burning Tool. There is a pinhole reset button *next* to the AV port (instead of inside it) and 2 USB ports, but holding the reset button and plugging the USB doesn't do the trick. I read somewhere that some boards hide the upgrade USB port internally along with the reset button :| Any advice would be great, I can find exactly *ZERO* results on Google regarding the box (apart from reviews and shops).

If you're interested, I managed to get the seller of the box to give me this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cf0le52sde...ction.doc?dl=0

and this is the box it self on AliExpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/...Id=32708598834
    Last edited by Drunlade; 10-26-2016, 07:21.

There is an extra power button (al-la MXIII / Q e.g. from the top side). But, outside of an UART USB location (Requires soldering) I don't believe you'll ever find a hidden Micro USB (OTG Connector) hiding 'round in there. So don't get your hopes up.

As to the Burning ROM Tool... What OS are you on? Did you manage to install the WorldCup Driver... Assuming it would be the same Driver as was used for the older MXIII? If that Driver is missing it will not work. Again as to the above, there is NO MicroUSB Port on this Device. Durr! So you'll need an unorthodox A to A Cable, chances are most people do not have such a Cable. And these Vendors have not been as thoughtful as to pack one in.

Just out of personal interest, does your Box still boot? I'm currently on my second Box. As the first One fried itself to an untimely death, doing nothing more more taxing then just googling for some random *.apk... Which I would add I never got to install!
    This second Box, has had faulty Bluetooth, and WiFI since Day One! 802.11 a/n/ac, along with Bluetooth have never worked! And, 802.11b/g/n has only ever worked at best sporadically. To say it goes down more often then a 2$ Whore, would be too kind.

I have had your idea for a while, and I have managed to install the 16GB Storage BB2 Firmware onto my KB2, but it never fixed my problems. Reading the Threaded 'round here there seems to be some luckier People 'round here that have reported no problems with their Boxes at all. This has lead Me to conclude its likely a major Hardware fault. One from the Looks of it, I'll be stuck with.

I've since ditched this Box for an AFTV2, which also has its problems with 802.11a/n/ac... It seems that it will only connect to the lower Channels (36 ~ 48) max. Anything higher then Channel 48, and the AFTV2 will NOT see it (The Router) anymore. Not to sure if this is a thing that effects these Boxes as well. I just know that even when set with in that block of Channels, I was still unable to connect my KB2 (YokaTV) to my Router. But perhaps this might be something for you to try yet.

Comment

I have a male-to-male connector and the driver *seems* to have installed. This is on Windows 10. When I plug the USB in it powers on the unit, using only the USB power. Just never shows up in the USB Burning Tool. I assume your one did since you tried a different Firmware/ROM? However, from some screenshots, the firmware for the BB2 and KB2 is just a skinned copy of whatI already have on the Vontar, so I don't imagine it'll fix anything. Also sounds like the hardware on these units is super unreliable.

I think I'll stick to the tried-and-tested method of building my own damn HTPC and running a proper OS on it. Some of those Mini-ITX boards and pretty tiny!

Comment

Under windows 10, as with Windows 8.x, you MUST be sure to have Use unsigned Drivers checked first.
        I've never really used either of those OS, and I gather it may take a bit of googleling to work out how to turn that bit back on under such Systems. Needles to say if you can't get the Driver up and running first, you'll never be able to connect it up via the Burning ROM Updater.

It's been a while since I had to use it under Windows 7, and although it's a tad simpler on that OS. it was still a PitA as IIRC Windows had a preference for installing the generic Android ADB Driver. Which is the exact Driver YOU DO NOT NEED, or want!

My advice is to open the System Settings -> Device settings, and then try connecting the 'Device' to your PC agan, and see what (if anything), changes. Assuming Windows IS loading the ADB Driver, and NOT the WorldCup Driver. You should open that register, and attempt to force install the WorldCup Driver, which should be located in the Burning ROM Directory. It's likely here that you'll eventually have to deactivate such enforcement of Driver Signing as required by your OS.

P.S. About my having tried Off branded Firmware...
        I have largely managed to avoid such incompatibilities of this is a [Insert Firmware], and this is a KB2 Device. By using SD Card Firmware where possible. And, that means having all three Files (recovery.img, (must eventually match the Firmware your trying to install), factory_update_param.aml (a kind of *.bat File that will cause the recovery.img to load), and install the Firmware.zip File.

So far I've attempted to install Firmwares for:
        BB2 (16GB Storage version of the YokaTV)
        KM8 Another 32GB version of the same Box
        ​​​As well as any official, or unofficial update the YokaTV has had up to this point.

None of these Firmwares have managed to correct the broken WiFi, or Bluetooth issues, I've been having with this Box.

Comment

Yeah I think it's safe to say it's a hardware fault and different firmware isn't going to help. It's a shame as the little box looks quite nice, but is now basically a paper-weight unless I want to string a long Ethernet cable around my house.

I'll check the driver signing just cos I'm interested, however even without that change, Windows didn't register a new device being plugged in at any point.

Like I said though, a home built HTPC will likely work better, be more reliable and allow the installation of anything, so will probably stick to that! I wasn't impressed with the System and App navigation often being hard-coded for touch controls in a way that meant using a controller/game-pad/min-keyboard was just too fiddly or not even possible. Didn't make for a great experience!

Comment

I done that once with a dedicated Full ATX setup... Needed it for all those DVB-S2, (Satellite), and DVB-C (Cable) Cards I used to run though Linux VDR. The only problem with it was it burned though the Watts, and by proxy my Wallet, so I had to let it go.
            The stuff I used to watch over Sat, I can more or less view over FilmOn.TV (e.g. BBC 1~4), which is good since I no longer able to receive Astra 28.2 reliable signals. Otherwise everything I view these days comes mostly from the 'Net, (Kodi Add-ons, or YouTube). So when I see reviews of things like the new-ish Mi Box* (Which if you've been here for a while), would know that it's actually nothing new at all! Complain about not being able to play "Local Media". I have to laugh my A55 off. Though I guess with 500Gb HHD in it the ShieldTV should be able to even cater to that taste.

The fact of the matter is I'm no longer sold on a HTPC (VDR) solution. It had its day, but when I can basically watch Broadcast Shows within 12 to 18h's after broadcast though a Kodi Addon. In 720p, with Dolby Digital. (Note I don't live in the US/Can). Then a can live with that small delay. And it beats having to wait 18 Months for it to show up here translated into German TV.

But, if that is kinda your thing... And in a way it could still be mine. It would be worth checking out a company called WeTek which basically makes these ARM powers Android VDR style Boxes.

I get what you have to say on the experience... But that's down to these OEMs useing near Stock Android, and not the better suited AndroidTV OS. This makes me wonder why no one has bothers to. If I were a betting man, I'd say that Google were being tight fisted with that version, and who gets to use it. Which is a pitty really.

* An Amlogic S902, and Mali 450, isn't what I would call new, in fact I suspect it's nearly pushing Two Years now. Though not quite, but we're less then 8 1/2 Weeks out till 2017. So even if the S902 was a 2015 Part. But I suspect it's the even older Mali 450 that's actually killing the 4k on the Mi Box.

Comment

I've very rarely been interested in broadcast TV. My HTPC setups are usually for playing locally stored media or streaming media, including services like NetFlix. However they usually double as a games console, running emulators like Dolphin on them or Steam in BigPicture mode. I guess my use case is quite different to yours!

My brief dabble into Android based mini-TV boxes has quickly put me off the whole concept. The hardware is unreliable and the software isn't all there, and when it is, it's usually a pretty crummy experience due to the focus on touch UI. Things I assume will get better, but it's not sold it self to me at all!

Comment

Originally posted by Drunlade View Post
                I've very rarely been interested in broadcast TV. My HTPC setups are usually for playing locally stored media or streaming media, including services like NetFlix. However they usually double as a games console, running emulators like Dolphin on them or Steam in BigPicture mode. I guess my use case is quite different to yours!

My brief dabble into Android based mini-TV boxes has quickly put me off the whole concept. The hardware is unreliable and the software isn't all there, and when it is, it's usually a pretty crummy experience due to the focus on touch UI. Things I assume will get better, but it's not sold it self to me at all!
                I'm not so sure... I did, and actually do have a NAS Box, though both the Drives in that ding have since died. So my need of Local Media has waned. I guess I've become more of Cloud fanboy then I'd care to admit to. But, with the exception of hardcore gaming, which I'm not into. I have a distaste for Run & Gunners, with perhaps the odd exception cough HL3 cough. I'll curtail my gaming to my old PS3. That said though. have you thought about the nVidia Shield TV? From what I've read, and seen about it, it should tick most of the boxes. The only problem though is that it costs a mint.

Though not nearly as much as the Gigabyte Brick UHD Mini PC. That runs for 900€ plus DDR4 RAM, + Storage. Though I do wonder if an embedded GTX 950, would be decent enough for Oculus. But, That would be another 700€+, and then for what? CoD in VR? I'll pass.

Comment

You'd need something a lot better than a GTX950 to do VR, my GTX970 is considered almost the minimum now!

I've mainly run Emulators and Racing games on my HTPC. I run Dolphin for GameCube and Wii games (which look great up-scaled with AA applied) and Steam for normal games.

The Shield is a nice looking device, but still doesn't give me the flexibility that I truly want. This Android box was an experiment, one that's left me reaffirmed with my belief that a HTPC is a better choice.

Comment

That's cool... I mean something like the Steam box, at least offers something in the way of scalability, that the Shield wouldn't, or couldn't. But, I wouldn't go round thinking that Kodi was that great for live TV. Perhaps Krypton will finally fix it? But, like I said I'm not even remotely a hardcore gamer. So for me something like the Shield would probably be more then enough. As I only ever watch live tv, for the News anyway. That's way I got this Box for, but as it is it'll end up on FleaBay soon enough, and it can be someone else's problem.

Comment

hi guys!
                      What is the best set up for 17 KODI Vontar z5?
                      Anyone can suggest where to start?
                      Any help will be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                      X