Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rii i8/i8+ keyboard modified key layout

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
    I have made a key layout file for Rii i8/i8+ keyboard. The idea came from a key layout file I've found in an old android box.

The main motivation was to find a way to put my android box into standby mode using the Rii i8+ keybaord.

These are the modifications I've made
    • F10 - power/sleep/standby
    • F9 - open recent apps screen
    • home icon - android home screen
    • "e" icon (below home icon) - menu (works in Kodi as well)
    • upperleft key - media stop (stops the played media in Kodi)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	rii i8 pic small.jpg Views:	2 Size:	131.4 KB ID:	608877

Instructions

In order to make the modification you need a rooted android device.
    1. Download the attached file: Vendor_1997_Product_2433.zip
    2. Navigate (with solid explorer or the like) to /system/usr/keylayout
    3. Copy the download kl file to this location and change the permission to rw-r-r
    4. reboot your android box.
    Warning: please make sure that you have an alternative way to control your android box, in case the rii i8 stops working after this modification. If it happens, delete the kl file you have copied and reboot.

I have checked the file on amlogic s912 android box and it works fine. I haven't check it on other devices, but I hope it works fine too.

Enjoy!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Animor; 12-26-2016, 22:06.

thank you! was looking for this as this thread is dead http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...ini-h7-etc-s89

Comment

You can do the same thing with the free MKR! (multilanguage keymap redefiner) app from PlayStore. I also remapped fast forward and rewind to the top-right pad.

Comment

Hello,

Could you please reupload the file ?

Thank you

Comment

Sure,
          Uploaded again (zip file):
          Vendor_1997_Product_2433.zip

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Thanks so much for this!
              I was looking for this.
              Can u power on the box with the keyboard?

Comment

Originally posted by TechGTX View Post
                Thanks so much for this!
                I was looking for this.
                Can u power on the box with the keyboard?
                Unfortunately not, you need a remote for that. I have my Harmony One remote configured to control the power switching for this device.

Comment

very nice thanks a lot

Comment

Hi, thanks for this. I tried this with a H96 android box but it seems to work only at the beginning then for no reason it doesn't want to wakeup when I push f10. Any idea on how I can fix it ?

Comment

Nice now i no need to use reboot -p To powerdown with rii

Comment

Hi,

In the last days I have been testing the layouts by editing the .kl file, using that old post as reference, I will leave here my findings:

- "e" button for opening "Default Internet Browser":

- "key xxx EXPLORER"- it will ask you which application you want to use (one of the Browsers installed), choose one and "Always use...", but at least in my ROM (only mine?) it didn't work, it asks every time the button is pressed, to overcome that I disabled the stock internet browser of android, using the apps settings, now everytime i press the "e" button Chrome starts (no more questions).

- Sleep/standby (POWER) - Does not work in reverse (wake up my box), I read somewhere else that we can add additional commands (WAKE_LOCK, WAKE_DROPPED, WAKE) to the key, and some boxes need that...we will test it later...

Regards,
                        We’re the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War’s a spiritual war…

Comment

Worked a treat with my Rii i8+ as both my E and Home buttons were mixed up. So thank you.

The "e" key seemed to be "Home" both on Firestick and M8S Pro L box

Using your file fixed this (on M8S, no longer use Firestick)

However, when the M8S goes to sleep (Red light) I cannot use my Rii to turn it back on and need to revert to the remote.

Has there been any update/fix to the above file?

As mention by pawhtiobo there may be some WAKE commands.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X