Cheap TV Player for watching movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap TV Player for watching movies

I am new both to TV Players and Android and I am kind of overwhelmed by the threads I read here, so I would like to ask for an advice.

I am looking for cheap TV Player that enables me to watch movies (mostly 720p, rarely 1080p MKVs from USB stick) on my Samsung LCD TV. Usage for web browsing will be very limited as will be Youtube watching. I do not intend to play games or watch Netflix or Hulu.
    However, my wifi router will be approximately 8 meters away behind 3 walls (and it would be too complicated to move it), so I presume I will need a TV stick with external antenna. I do not need bluetooth or ethernet port. I plan to add USB hub to supply additional USB ports for wireless keyboard and mouse and USB stick.

Which TV Player would you recommend to satisfy my need without spending more money then neccesery?
    (I do not know whether dual core with 1 GB RAM will suffice or not, neither which chipset to choose).
    If it will be better to use any custom rom, I am open to do so.

Also would like to ask, whether external antenna will sufice in my conditions.

Thanks in advance for any recommendation.

Minix x7

Originally posted by lastsaves View Post
    I am new both to TV Players and Android and I am kind of overwhelmed by the threads I read here, so I would like to ask for an advice.

I am looking for cheap TV Player that enables me to watch movies (mostly 720p, rarely 1080p MKVs from USB stick) on my Samsung LCD TV. Usage for web browsing will be very limited as will be Youtube watching. I do not intend to play games or watch Netflix or Hulu.
    However, my wifi router will be approximately 8 meters away behind 3 walls (and it would be too complicated to move it), so I presume I will need a TV stick with external antenna. I do not need bluetooth or ethernet port. I plan to add USB hub to supply additional USB ports for wireless keyboard and mouse and USB stick.

Which TV Player would you recommend to satisfy my need without spending more money then neccesery?
    (I do not know whether dual core with 1 GB RAM will suffice or not, neither which chipset to choose).
    If it will be better to use any custom rom, I am open to do so.

Also would like to ask, whether external antenna will sufice in my conditions.

Thanks in advance for any recommendation.
    Minix x7 then you have a something in the future when you want more options.

Comment

Originally posted by benster1 View Post
      Minix x7 then you have a something in the future when you want more options.
      Thanks for recommendation, but I would prefer something that fulfil my current needs.
      This model is too expensive and loaded with features I will not use at the moment.

Comment

Ok look for cheapbox ...

Thanks for recommendation, but I would prefer something that fulfil my current needs.
        This model is too expensive and loaded with features I will not use at the moment.
        There are very cheap boxes on geekbuying and w2comp.

But then you pay 60 dollar less for a outdated box in my oppinion.
        Minix x7 has a external wifi antenna for better wifi signal.

hope you find a good box for little money.

best regards
        Last edited by benster1; 07-09-2013, 19:56. Reason: New tip..

Comment

Thanks benster1, I really appreciate your suggestion.

Originally posted by benster1 View Post
          There are very cheap boxes on geekbuying and w2comp.
          That was exactly my line of thought to buy some box on geekbuying, dx or aliexpres.
          The question is: Which one?
          I know that these boxes might be outdated but they might serve the purpose I stated earlier.
          So I am looking for a compromise between price and performance.

Thus I will rephrase my questions:
          1) Which of these cheap boxes is proven to be able to play 720p MKV movies from USB stick without problems (with or without custom rom)?
          2) Can anyone confirm, that some of these cheap boxes with external antenna will be able to retain internet connection 8 meters away and behind 3 walls from wifi router?

Comment

UG008 or K-R42

As it seems that this question is too general to get answered, I will ask for a feedback on two particular boxes.

I am choosing between these two now:
            UG008 - http://www.geekbuying.com/item/UG008...ut-314507.html
            and
            K-R42 - http://www.geekbuying.com/item/K-R42...ck-317141.html

Does anyone have any experiences with either of these?
            Will they serve my needs (as I stated in earlier post)?
            Which one do you recommend?

Comment

As it seems that this question is too general to get answered, I will ask for a feedback on two particular boxes.

I am choosing between these two now:
              UG008 - http://www.geekbuying.com/item/UG008...ut-314507.html
              and
              K-R42 - http://www.geekbuying.com/item/K-R42...ck-317141.html

Does anyone have any experiences with either of these?
              Will they serve my needs (as I stated in earlier post)?
              Which one do you recommend?
              Hi I the K-R42 is better(at least the hardware is better)Here Is my post and some other post`s about this device :http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...e-other-device
              (in my thread are all the links of threads about this device that i know of)I advise you to wait for a review for the device I`m waiting for a review also

Comment

Working...
              X