Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Earth on Polaroid PTAB4300

Hi All.....
    Android NOOB here.......just got device yesterday and trying to install Google Earth.....no joy. Anybody been able to do this? It seems to download, and tries to install but fails. If it can't be done, I'm taking it back to the store.......that's the main reason I bought it.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Chuck, CABGGx3

Here is a google earth version that works on my Arnova.

BOb
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post

Thanks Bob........I just tried it and got the same result....."Application not installed". Also, I noted on the Google.Play that my device is not on their supported list.

Chuck, CABGx3

Comment

I think that something with the new Google Play is causing problems, my tab had problem with apps saying apps not compatible even though I had previously bought them. I cleared market data a few times and it seemed to have corrected itself

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk
        Please consider donating to purchase tablets for Finless Bob to continue his work. This will help in the creation of custom roms and build an even stronger development base for our community. Thank you for you support!

PLEASE CLICK THE DONATE BUTTON BELOW

<form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
        <input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_s-xclick">
        <input type="hidden" name="hosted_button_id" value="3GN5JFZXXQLCA">
        <input type="image" src="http://www.freaktab.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=565&d=1341333954&thumb =1" border="0" name="submit" alt="PayPal — The safer, easier way to pay online.">
        https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_GB/i/scr/pixel.gif
        </form>

Comment

I am able to download "Google Earth" and "Shop Around" but neither will work on my Polaroid PTAB4300. "Google Earth" returns error message saying it will not install, and "Shop Around" seems to install, but will not run....returning error message. Probably just cockpit trouble 'cause I know nothing about Android.

Has anyone else been able to install either of these APPS, and if so, please tell me how.

Thanks,
          Chuck, CABGx3

Comment

Hi All.......
            Well, I've tried for two days and still cannot download and successfully install ANY APP yet. Besides that, this PTAB4300 locks up occasionally and won't even turn off and on with reliability. Once depleated, the battery takes forever to recharge. The functions are hidden so deeply within menus that I can not remember where they are from time to time....maybe that would be learned with time, but I've given it all the time I can without getting any satisfactory results. Definately NOT user friendly nor intuitive. I really love the form factor and the 4.3" screen is sharp and very nice....exactly what I was looking for......a readable shirt pocket WiFi device. It's just too bad the rest of the device does not perform in a satisfactory manner. Maybe I just got a lemon, or maybe not.....It's going back to the store tomorrow.

Regards,
            Chuck, CABGx3

Comment

Originally posted by CABGx3 View Post
              Hi All.......
              Well, I've tried for two days and still cannot download and successfully install ANY APP yet. Besides that, this PTAB4300 locks up occasionally and won't even turn off and on with reliability. Once depleated, the battery takes forever to recharge. The functions are hidden so deeply within menus that I can not remember where they are from time to time....maybe that would be learned with time, but I've given it all the time I can without getting any satisfactory results. Definately NOT user friendly nor intuitive. I really love the form factor and the 4.3" screen is sharp and very nice....exactly what I was looking for......a readable shirt pocket WiFi device. It's just too bad the rest of the device does not perform in a satisfactory manner. Maybe I just got a lemon, or maybe not.....It's going back to the store tomorrow.

Regards,
              Chuck, CABGx3
              I know nothing of your polaroid, but I do know on the Nextbook 7 that Google apps are designed to depend on each other. For example, in order to install Google Currents, I had to 1st install Google Maps.

Sent from NB7 Finless 1.4 via Tapatalk

Comment

Hi All......
                Well I took my PTAB4300 back to Big Lots today......just couldn't get over the slowness of it all and my inability to install any APPS.......and of course there was no getting ahold of Polaroid.

On the way home I stopped by Best Buy and checked out the Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0 and 5.0 and MAN what a world of difference.......of course they cost a lot more, but they are "real". I'm gonna save my beans and get one of the 5.0's as soon as I can......most cool.

Regards,
                Chuck, CABGx3

Comment

Originally posted by CABGx3 View Post
                  Hi All......
                  Well I took my PTAB4300 back to Big Lots today......just couldn't get over the slowness of it all and my inability to install any APPS.......and of course there was no getting ahold of Polaroid.

On the way home I stopped by Best Buy and checked out the Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0 and 5.0 and MAN what a world of difference.......of course they cost a lot more, but they are "real". I'm gonna save my beans and get one of the 5.0's as soon as I can......most cool.

Regards,
                  Chuck, CABGx3
                  Unfortunately this is the problem with Android, it is very fragmented and it seems like every company wants to make tablets with the Android OS on and when you expect quality at times you are just getting sub standard hardware from manufacturers trying to make quick money, without thinking about the customer, dont get me wrong there are some great tabs out there but also a lot of crap ones, with lack of support for the most basic things.

Although I dont own an Apple Ipad, you got to kind of see where they are coming from having Total control as they make the hardware and software to keep a very tight ship on quality control, something that is seriously lacking on Android.
                  Please consider donating to purchase tablets for Finless Bob to continue his work. This will help in the creation of custom roms and build an even stronger development base for our community. Thank you for you support!

PLEASE CLICK THE DONATE BUTTON BELOW

<form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
                  <input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_s-xclick">
                  <input type="hidden" name="hosted_button_id" value="3GN5JFZXXQLCA">
                  <input type="image" src="http://www.freaktab.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=565&d=1341333954&thumb =1" border="0" name="submit" alt="PayPal — The safer, easier way to pay online.">
                  https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_GB/i/scr/pixel.gif
                  </form>

Comment

Originally posted by Damo View Post
                    Unfortunately this is the problem with Android, it is very fragmented and it seems like every company wants to make tablets with the Android OS on and when you expect quality at times you are just getting sub standard hardware from manufacturers trying to make quick money, without thinking about the customer, dont get me wrong there are some great tabs out there but also a lot of crap ones, with lack of support for the most basic things.

Although I dont own an Apple Ipad, you got to kind of see where they are coming from having Total control as they make the hardware and software to keep a very tight ship on quality control, something that is seriously lacking on Android.

Yup, and it's too bad.......maybe some folks buy them and when they don't work they just keep them or throw them away.......not me.......back to the store with it.....and I'm down on the whole Polaroid line now. I was really pumped about the PTAB4300, after reading bad reviews about the ARCHOS line, I thought I had something here, but 'twas not to be. One does not always "get what they pay for", but they certainly don't ever get any "more than they pay for", and in the case of the $60 Polaroid, it just didn't get there.

As far as my limited research has shown, Samsung has "got it by the handle" with their 5.0 Player. I'm mainly interested in portable WiFi Internet....could care less about the music part. Their 5" screen still fits into a shirt pocket and is really nice to read.

Regards
                    Chuck, CABGx3

Comment

Had you waited for a rooted ROM from me, I think you would have been a lot happier in a less than $100 purchase on a product that basically could do anything you needed it to do.

Bob
                      "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                      "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                      "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                      "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                      "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                      "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                      "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                      "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
                      "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                        Had you waited for a rooted ROM from me, I think you would have been a lot happier in a less than $100 purchase on a product that basically could do anything you needed it to do.

Bob

Could be.........guess my ignorance got the best of me (I never heard of a rooted ROM 'till I came here)........but this device had other problems besides not being able to install APPs......it would just sometimes go dark, and nothing would wake it up until/unless I plugged the charging cable in (of course it was already charged up), and then would go through the initialization cycle all over again. Scrolling was "Slow, Sloppy and Seldom" and intermittant in operation, sometimes opening an APP by mistake, sometimes scrolling, sometimes not......RESET was unresponsive............was this just a lemon or could one of your "rooted ROM's" have taken care of all those things?

Chuck, CABGx3

Comment

Sorry you felt that way CABGx3. I felt my $60 was well spent since I am learning more an more about Android every day. I'd rather shell out $60 dollars now and explore this gadget to the max. Then later on if I'm comfortable I might shell out more for a more expensive tablet. But either way right now I'm happy and it not because I have a perfect product. I never had a perfect product just some I've liked better than others.

Also beware about falling in love with something that in on display at a store. Installing apps can be an issue on any device. Most of these devices in stores are configured for maximum performance, maximum appeal. I used to work at the Shack for years and we did everything in our power to make high ticket items like these work awesome and customize the device for our personal wow factor demos. Heck with what I know now I could resell this device to you. And after I get these ROMs to Finless and install his version I could make you drool.

Comment

Originally posted by crazy12know View Post
                            Sorry you felt that way CABGx3. I felt my $60 was well spent since I am learning more an more about Android every day. I'd rather shell out $60 dollars now and explore this gadget to the max. Then later on if I'm comfortable I might shell out more for a more expensive tablet. But either way right now I'm happy and it not because I have a perfect product. I never had a perfect product just some I've liked better than others.

Also beware about falling in love with something that in on display at a store. Installing apps can be an issue on any device. Most of these devices in stores are configured for maximum performance, maximum appeal. I used to work at the Shack for years and we did everything in our power to make high ticket items like these work awesome and customize the device for our personal wow factor demos. Heck with what I know now I could resell this device to you. And after I get these ROMs to Finless and install his version I could make you drool.

Thanks for your response, and "I hear 'ya", and your thinking was my thinking exactly......only thing is, I could not install any APPs, and that was a MUST criteria for me.....without APPs, it didn't matter how much I might have liked the rest of the PTAB4300. I really hated having to take it back, but now I'm drooling over one of the Samsung Galaxy Players. I've been a big PALM PDA user for years and love them, now only wanting WiFi to go with it. I see most of the PALM APPs I had can be duplicated (almost), in Android APPs so I figure I can make the transition when the money becomes available.
                            Thanks again, and good luck with your unit....

Regards,
                            Chuck, CABGx3

Comment

Working...
                            X