PC Heatsink on s912 motherboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC Heatsink on s912 motherboard?

I am just curious if someone has done something like this, to try and get better performance and reliability from the s912.
    i have an older Zalman PC heatsink which was giant for 10 years ago, so it would cover half the s912 board with the copper alone.
    I guess i could put thermal paste nonconductive on top of all the components the heatsink would be under and not even use the fan built in?
    Would probably run an open top case or something like that because I'd want to keep the front display with the clock but get great cooling on it.

you don't need something that big
    all you need is something like this

this is what I used

Comment

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

But it woukd be different with that minster on it. Come on do it and hard wire the fan to go for it dont let nay sayers stop your dreams
        Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

And it would probably, take off and do rounds of the room.
          Would make an interesting centerpiece/talking point.
          treboR
          Please consider
          Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Your now I am already trying to find one of those now dont ya lol.....
            Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Originally posted by scooter2014 View Post
              But it woukd be different with that minster on it. Come on do it and hard wire the fan to go for it dont let nay sayers stop your dreams

I repaired laptops for a job for last 9 years.
              You have no idea how many spare heatsinks random parts for laptops i have in boxes lol....

I actually need to find one small enough to fit in the box lol

The fan hopefully will work at 5v since most laptop fans do runs at 5v so it is just a matter of finding a trace i can pull that power from, put a few holes in case for ventilation, bobs your uncle.

Dont pay more than a couple bucks shipped for an old laptop heatsink, just look for whatever fits

Comment

Hi,
                I have passive coolers on my rk3288/a31s/h8 devices (cnps6500a , zm-nbf47 , NB47J )
                *You can buy coolers realy cheap at kringloop stores (the take them from old pc/laptop, if the dont work)

So, what are your temps?
                And what are your temps after the mod? Also... Please post pic's of your modd

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell4you View Post
                  Hi,
                  I have passive coolers on my rk3288/a31s/h8 devices (cnps6500a , zm-nbf47 , NB47J )
                  *You can buy coolers realy cheap at kringloop stores (the take them from old pc/laptop, if the dont work)

So, what are your temps?
                  And what are your temps after the mod? Also... Please post pic's of your modd
                  will post pic when mod done, i need more free time lol
                  i know you CAN buy passive coolers.... but..... 1) i have a ton of these laptop fan+heatsink, 2) if they can be passive cooled why not try to actively cool them to push them harder?

i thought to use a giant heatsink and take out the fan and use that passive, but would be too big and awkward

my thinking is if the s912 is underclocked by .5 to 1.0ghz to keep it able to run stable on passive cooling, that is great, but i want to unlock the full potential of s912 cpu, so with fan and heatsink both it should be trivial to keep it at or below 20c i think

my box runs 60-65c now with whatever passive heatsink came with it. goal is to run it at full 2ghz constantly and maintain 20c or less.

keep in mind i am using heatsink made to cool core 2 duo down to 35, 45c temps.... for a little s912, it should keep it at room temp i think!

Comment

You can't run 2ghz with s912 only 1.516ghz

Comment

Bajann.. Is correct

1.65 might be the max with 4cores

But... If you are pushing the temp high enough...you get throttle-ing
                      So, cooling might get a better game experience (for example)

cheers

Comment

Looking forward to photo of that cpu with fan as center pc for your tv console

Comment

Originally posted by bajann View Post
                          You can't run 2ghz with s912 only 1.516ghz
                          I thought its actual clock was 2ghz but all firmware limited it to 1 or 1.5ghz? Either way i am interested in running it at its max speed and will find out how far it can be pushed.

When the good heatsink with a fan is installed temperatures will be night and day, it will be unreal, so yes i have no doubts performance will be better, since the whole point is it won't be able to get anywhere near hot enough to throttle mitchell4you please understand that if you have adequate cooling you don't have THERMAL based throttling!!!!! make sense?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1481883144523.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	622350Click image for larger version

Name:	20161215_002107.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	622351 I have used old broken wii case, heatsink and fan, now the temp is 30 when at idol and full load 40.without mod temp was 50 idol and 75 on max load, playing asphalt 8 was impossible due throttling.

Comment

Excessive but I do like it
                              treboR
                              Please consider
                              Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Working...
                              X