X96 modded firmware with SuperSU and updated Kodi addon pack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X96 modded firmware with SuperSU and updated Kodi addon pack

This is my first attempt to cook a firmware for Android, so it might not entirely be what you would expect from a proper Rom cook.
    To avoid linking back to my Instructable I will just start by writing why I made this firmware.
    This firmware is only for the X96 with WiFi only in the 2/16gb configuration!
    Same for the included TWRP recovery!
    I might be able to transfer this firmware and recover to other models but first I will get everything done for my box.

The original X96 firmware really is not all bad but it does not leave much room for improvement due to kernel and superuser limitations.
    The stock recovery is quite useless for anthing that is not a genuine firmware and I really hate working with burn tools just to flash a firmware.
    First step was to port the TWRP recovery to the X96.

Update 10/05/2017: Beta3 is here
    I finnished my work on a simple but working system without the bloat.
    You can download the Beta 3 from Filefactory.
    For those wanting a really naked system.
    In the naked system you will only find the basic Android system, FX File browser MBox Launcher and SuperSU - everything else, including Google apps are gone.
    Could be the base for someone experimenting with Open GAPPS or with no need for Google and other apps.
    On both the system partition is increased to the same 1536mb as the original (unbranded) firmware, should be more than enough space to install whatever you want.

This thread will no longer be updated due to the initial legal problem with Kodi (removed now anyway) and other things.
    Further development of what I create will happen
    here.

Take a look at the screenshots:
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 18 photos.
    Last edited by Downunder 35m; 05-11-2017, 09:31.

General use of the firmware files:
    There will be no changes made to your onboard recovery, TWRP runs from the external SD card.
    I did not test flashing it to the box and I don't see a need for this procedure either.
    All download come as RAR archives.
    Unpack the RAR archive(s) to your SD card and plug it in the box.
    Push the little button inside the AV port and hold it while powering up the box.
    TWRP will start and greet you.
    Do a full backup of your original system first!
    Use the external SD for this and give the backup a meaningful name.
    If you require help with TWRP check some of the tutorials for the 3.0 version.
    With the backup secured you can now wipe everything but microsd and USB through the advanced wipe.
    Go back and select the firmware ZIP file of your liking from the external SD and confirm to flash it to the box.
    This process only takes a few minutes.
    First boot of the box will take quite a few minutes, so be patient!
    It might look like it is stuck on the bootanimation but it needs to create all file systems and permissions in the background before you see the standard Mbox launcher.
    Once the launcher appears you will have to wait even longer (for the full versions) to allow all the programs to be installed by background processes.
    You will see how the app bar slowly fills up.
    Leave the box alone during this process untill all is finalised - if in doubt have some lunch

Comment

Currently available firmwares I tested and specific instructions for them:

Naked X96 - X96 Beta2
      All streaming related content removed from the original firmware.
      Kodi stripped down to the naked app plus the added power menu.
      Keyboard fix for wireless keyboards.
      Superuser replaced at kernel level by Chainfires SupoerSU.
      ADW launcher added and a free icon pack for it as well.
      XMBC launcher added for those who prefer to use the box mainly with Kodi.
      Rar archive to be unpacked to your micro SD, TWRP recovery included.
      Dowload from Filefactory.
      Last edited by Downunder 35m; 04-26-2017, 14:21.

Comment

Known bugs and problems:
        After a full wipe the update sometimes fails with "Updater process ended with ERROR: 7
        Error installing zip file...."
        This can happen due to the Marshmallow security being unable to detect the hardware onfiguration of the box - not my bug, complain to Google.
        Simply go back install the ZIP again and it will work as planned.
        Same story for the reboot or shut down from recovery, it sometimes hangs and you need to manually power it down by unplugging.
        SuperSU fails to update the binary at first start...
        Well that usually just indicates the first boot was not really finnished yet, try again a few minutes later and it will work - make sure to give the box enough time at the first boot!
        Kodi starting without the addons...
        I had that happen a few times and could not figure out why, I guess it would pay off to restart the box after the initial boot and personal setup without starting Kodi prior to this.
        Firmware factory reset useless....
        If you do a factory reset the info for all pre- and postinstalled apps will be lost, icluding Kodi.
        I strongly recommend to perform a backup through TWRP onto external SD once you have all set up and runnning as planned.

Comment

Quick question and advice.... Pirate apk not allowed on freak tab. Motorob one for sure. Is there more in this build remove them and your welcome to repost or we will remove posts if not done by you.

All the best
          Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Sorry, I am a bit confused by "pirate APK".
            If it is Lucky Patcher then I can upload a version without it but the rest is either from the Stock firmware or the free versions from the Playstore.
            If by Motorob you mean Modbro, than this too came from the original, unbranded firmware and to my knowledge is just an updated version.
            Don't want to violate any rules, so could you be please specify the needs to get approval for the Rom?

Edit: I think I found the problem and I will prepare new links with the problem removed.
            I guess you meant the icon pack...
            May fault as I got it from a different Rom and did not check the status.

Comment

I think he was trying to say.
              It does not Promote the use of addons etc, that may be considered unworthy (for the want of a better word)

What the end user does is their choice.

Thanks and keep up the good work need Devs to keep it happening.
              treboR
              Please consider
              Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Originally posted by Downunder 35m View Post
                Sorry, I am a bit confused by "pirate APK".
                If it is Lucky Patcher then I can upload a version without it but the rest is either from the Stock firmware or the free versions from the Playstore.
                If by Motorob you mean Modbro, than this too came from the original, unbranded firmware and to my knowledge is just an updated version.
                Don't want to violate any rules, so could you be please specify the needs to get approval for the Rom?

Edit: I think I found the problem and I will prepare new links with the problem removed.
                I guess you meant the icon pack...
                May fault as I got it from a different Rom and did not check the status.
                For safety remove the following
                Mobdro, Lucky Patcher and all Kodi addons(except ones from official Kodi repo like Youtube for example).
                Even if the Mobdro app is on the Play store or in stock firmware it is still a grey zone and will be removed quickly by Google.
                Users can install their own Kodi addons if they want.
                Some apps might be legal in some countries or no laws enforced but in other countries people can face jail time and fines for distributing or using pirate apps so it's best to stay on the safe side anywhere you post on the internet.
                Because you post it on the internet, an international site, people from all countries will use it whose laws are different.
                Freaktab is also hosted in Germany &/or US, not quite sure, so those countries' copyright laws also apply to things posted, uploaded here.

But good luck, it looks like you fixed and added several useful things to your firmware that can benefit other users too

Comment

Was not aware of such harsh problems when it comes to things the X96 firmware has by default.
                  Integrating the addons properly and in up to date versions was my main goal apart from the better look.
                  Will make another naked version with just the basics in it and change the postings accordingly when done.
                  Found a lot of useful info along the way in this forum and as it seems noone does anything for the X96 I thought to give it a try myself.
                  Will make another reply here once I changed everything and repacked the firmware.

Last question though:
                  Would it be best to provide the naked version without anything or or is it ok to leave launchers and filebrowser in it?
                  The launchers on their own are the basic versions from the playstore and I would prefer to keep them included.

Comment

Uploading the Beta2 with Kodi16 now.
                    All content that could be considered to be in the grey zone is removed.
                    Down to a slim and basic firmware with just the added launchers, FX file browser and the modified Kodi with the power menu added.
                    For the original formware only the social media Google and Chrome survived.
                    I guess that should satisfy all future needs for addons or apps of concern

Comment

Uploaded the Beta 3 and a fully naked rom.
                      For the later you will need to install Gapps for the use of Playstore and similar.
                      Same for everything else you might need to customize your system.

Comment

Originally posted by Downunder 35m View Post
                        This is my first attempt to cook a firmware for Android, so it might not entirely be what you would expect from a proper Rom cook.
                        To avoid linking back to my Instructable I will just start by writing why I made this firmware.
                        This firmware is only for the X96 with WiFi only in the 2/16gb configuration!
                        Same for the included TWRP recovery!
                        I might be able to transfer this firmware and recover to other models but first I will get everything done for my box.

The original X96 firmware really is not all bad but it does not leave much room for improvement due to kernel and superuser limitations.
                        The stock recovery is quite useless for anthing that is not a genuine firmware and I really hate working with burn tools just to flash a firmware.
                        First step was to port the TWRP recovery to the X96.

Update 10/05/2017: Beta3 is here
                        I finnished my work on a simple but working system without the bloat.
                        You can download the Beta 3 from Filefactory.
                        For those wanting a really naked system.
                        In the naked system you will only find the basic Android system, FX File browser MBox Launcher and SuperSU - everything else, including Google apps are gone.
                        Could be the base for someone experimenting with Open GAPPS or with no need for Google and other apps.
                        On both the system partition is increased to the same 1536mb as the original (unbranded) firmware, should be more than enough space to install whatever you want.

This thread will no longer be updated due to the initial legal problem with Kodi (removed now anyway) and other things.
                        Further development of what I create will happen
                        here.

Take a look at the screenshots:
                        If I put a toothpick in the AV input of my TV BOX X96, after inserting the micro SD with the unpacked file inside: SuperSU_Beta2_Kodi16.rar, the TV box starts in recovery mode and these options appear to me:

Reboot system new
                        Reboot to bootloader
                        Apply update from ext
                        Apply update from cache
                        Apply update from ADB
                        Wipe data factory reset
                        Wipe cache partition
                        Mount / System
                        View recovery logs
                        Power off

I don't see the screen of: TWRP!
                        What should I do?