Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X96 - 1GB, 2GB, OTT TV BOX - check before buying!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X96 - 1GB, 2GB, OTT TV BOX - check before buying!

I recently started to modify firmwares for the X96 that I bought.
    Not because I always wanted to, because I had to so I can use a wireless keyboard properly for example.
    Now, after a while more and more users installed my modified firmwares and others too with litlle to no success at all.
    It turned out that there are three different versions on the market right now.
    To avoid you buying the wrong one, or if you did to provide some arguments for a refund:

The original X96 has a sticker on the underside identifying it as a OTT TV BOX - the letters O being a start.
    Mine is a genuine 2GB accepting the official firmware updates provided on the Baidu servers.
    But there are (at least) 2 two more X96 boxes out there with just 1GB for the system partition.
    The original 1GB version will clearly show the 1GB, or better something between 700 and 790mb, while the fake tells you the system partition is 2GB in size.
    Problem is that if a fake reports wrong sizes nothing will really work as planned.
    Installing more system apps will end with "out of memory" or similar errors, installing a 2GB firmware will always fail and give you a useless box.
    To make things worse all TWRP versions for the X96 will use the data from a 2GB device to create and restore backups.
    That means even if the backup would be a success, writing it back will fail as there is no 2GB available to write the created image.
    Up to this point there are only two ways to fix a messed up fake.
    A) Install the original firmware - ask the seller to provide it and if you get it post it in my X96 firmware thread!
    B) Try one of my firmwares that I marked for the use on 1GB systems.
    If the B) works you will get the orignal kernel and bootloader installed, which will report the correct sizes.
    If B) fails it might mean you only options left is A).

Some will come back to 2 gig with that firmware i provided. But some fake memory as well... Seems emmc and something in the kernal on others makes it 1 gig. Memory is sometimes right but still shows as 1 gig on 2 gig device. But so far that the only firmware that i found that turns it back to 2 gig.. Funny thing is on some it wont bring back the 16 gig stays at 8 lol..... Id recommend just avoiding the x96 much better out there right now at similar or less costs.
    Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

The more users read this, the more problems will a seller have to sell them.
      So hopefully at least the fakes will be phased out or replaced by something stating the true memory at a lower price.
      Without BT is only an interesting devices if the price is right and the user has no use for wireless gamepads or using Bluetooth at all.
      Still the original runs very smooth, too bad I can't test anything in 4k on my crappy TV.
      Let's wait for some more user feedback here and that the word spreads....

Comment

Working...
      X