(SOLVED) Stability Issues - Crash Reboots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(SOLVED) Stability Issues - Crash Reboots

I've decided to return my CX-919 for a refund and purchase a replacement model. For consumers in the States, this is a relatively painless ordeal if you purchase it on Amazon via Geekbuying which is "fulfilled by Amazon."

Out of the box, the stick was absolutely horrendous with stock firmware (4.2.2 OS). It basically reset itself every minute or so. Things got much better once I flashed custom ROMs but they were still present and I've grown tired of fighting the reboot crashes. I'm absolutely certain crashes will not pass the WAF (wife approval factor) and my stick will be summarily ridiculed. What makes matters even worse is a friend of mine also purchased the same stick and had zero problems with stock firmware. He purchased his directly from Geekbuying.

I will say that overall I like the CX-919, and if I thought this was just a firmware issue, I'd be willing to deal until the bugs got worked out.

I had assumed that it was the fault of the stock charger and its inability to properly regulate voltage, but I've since replaced the charger and still ran into problems.

Hopefully the next unit will provide better stability performance. I'm also receiving a Measy U2C-D dock with a 5V 3A power supply. This a is branded power supply from D-Link so hopefully b/c it comes from a reputable company and provides the CX-919 an extra amp of power my future results will be better.

My concern is that all the units at the Amazon warehouse may have been from an older production batch. The factory may have switched out certain components in the mean time which is why my friend received a nicely performing unit, while my Amazon variant was problematic.

Has anyone, who's purchased their unit through Amazon (via Geekbuying), had sticks which offered good stability performance?

Thanks,

smithmal
    Last edited by smithmal; 08-10-2013, 07:08.

Could be an overheating issue, I guess.

Since doing my cooling mod on my rk3066 device, stability seems great. I've left it on for several days without a problem. Before, sometimes I'd switch back to Android after watching some TV and it'd be frozen. Maybe rk3188 devices run even hotter?

Comment

I purchased from GeekBuying. I've only had problems with the video stutter on mine.
      Which should be fixed shortly hopefully thanks to hoabyscr.

My device has been up for days. All I used was the tv's usb power.
      I just now switched it to ac/dc default plug. I ran mine across a voltage meter and it's output is constant 3Amp 5V 4.75A/4.85V actually but still with in a tolerable range.

I played a few movies browsed the web I never noticed anything different.
      Mine has never rebooted. If your name brand ac connecter does the same thing.
      You may want to send in for another replacement.

Make sure your not plugging the ac device into a old power strip.
      Take the extension cable off or on.
      Run it directly to the outlet if you can.
      Make sure your not plugging the usb cable into the microusb port that is next to the USB2.0 connecter.(I made this mistake and experianced the same problem you did.)

(I am sure you tried these four things already.)

Make sure your HDMI is compatible with 4.1. Sometimes old TV's don't support it. If your TV was made after the second half of 2009 you should be ok.

Although I'm not too sure if the device permits down scaling or not. (It should) but I wouldn't put it past them.

Turn off your WIFI/Bluetooth. And leave it idle to see if it still does it.
      And once it turns on get into the main screen and unplug your usb keyboard/mouse if you have one.

These are just some things you can try. Until you can get your name brand plug.
      And may shed some light on some other things as well.

Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by spifey View Post
        I purchased from GeekBuying. I've only had problems with the video stutter on mine.
        Which should be fixed shortly hopefully thanks to hoabyscr.

My device has been up for days. All I used was the tv's usb power.
        I just now switched it to ac/dc default plug. I ran mine across a voltage meter and it's output is constant 3Amp 5V 4.75A/4.85V actually but still with in a tolerable range.

I played a few movies browsed the web I never noticed anything different.
        Mine has never rebooted. If your name brand ac connecter does the same thing.
        You may want to send in for another replacement.

Make sure your not plugging the ac device into a old power strip.
        Take the extension cable off or on.
        Run it directly to the outlet if you can.
        Make sure your not plugging the usb cable into the microusb port that is next to the USB2.0 connecter.(I made this mistake and experianced the same problem you did.)

(I am sure you tried these four things already.)

Make sure your HDMI is compatible with 4.1. Sometimes old TV's don't support it. If your TV was made after the second half of 2009 you should be ok.

Although I'm not too sure if the device permits down scaling or not. (It should) but I wouldn't put it past them.

Turn off your WIFI/Bluetooth. And leave it idle to see if it still does it.
        And once it turns on get into the main screen and unplug your usb keyboard/mouse if you have one.

These are just some things you can try. Until you can get your name brand plug.
        And may shed some light on some other things as well.

Let us know how it goes.

spifey,

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions. Unfortunately I've already sent the unit back for refund and have another one ordered.

I will say that I did have my power plug connected to an outlet bar with a surge protection. I will try testing the replacement without using the outlet bar and see how that goes.

Also I'm not sure about the TV HDMI. I'm pretty sure that it's pre-2009 though. I would think compatibility issues with the TV's HDMI port would lead to display flakiness rather than complete stick reboots but I suppose anything is possible.

I never thought about testing the stick without using the HDMI extension cable. Again, I would think a HDMI communication issue would result in image issues rather than stick reboots.

Also, when I get my replacement I'll see if my wireless keyboard/mouse combo may also play a part in stick reboots.

smithmal

Comment

Purcased Amazon

Purchashed mine through Amazon Two months ago. Flashed Finless rom right away. Never really tried the stock one. Am useing the stock PS. I do not get any reboots. Other than the ones I am forced to do myself due to Nand problem. Had a couple locks. But chalk that up to incompatible app. I do not use XBMC. I use MX player for most video. My tv is Vizio 3d . Only three months old. The new firmare released helped with video stuttering. But no root. Back to finless and MX. Hope your replacement goes well.

Comment

Originally posted by smithmal View Post
            I had assumed that it was the fault of the stock charger and its inability to properly regulate voltage, but I've since replaced the charger and still ran into problems.
            I don't suppose that you had your cx-919 plugged in for power via the rear micro-USB port, did you?

When I got my CX-919 a couple weeks ago, I was in great despair--because like you, mine rebooted endlessly, the screen blanked out even more often--I was sure I got a lemon, and unlike you I hadn't bought mine through Amazon, so a RMA would've meant mailing things to China.

Like you, I suspected my power source, so I swapped in a 2A charger. I definitely noticed the reboots became less frequent but they still happened frequently nonetheless.

In my searching online for helpful info, i came across the manual and was looking at the connections diagram and noticed instantly something i had overlooked when I plugged in my cx-919 initially: the side microUSB port specifically designated as the DC power connection. So, I had been powering via the OTG port all along. I was praying I found a solution at that point as i'd exhausted all others (including installing Finless ROM). and...did the trick for me. Having moved the power source to the DC MicroUSB my CX-919 has been rock solid, it's been up at least a week as of right now.

Just my experience, just in case it applied to you too.

Comment

Originally posted by scaredwitless View Post
              I don't suppose that you had your cx-919 plugged in for power via the rear micro-USB port, did you?

When I got my CX-919 a couple weeks ago, I was in great despair--because like you, mine rebooted endlessly, the screen blanked out even more often--I was sure I got a lemon, and unlike you I hadn't bought mine through Amazon, so a RMA would've meant mailing things to China.

Like you, I suspected my power source, so I swapped in a 2A charger. I definitely noticed the reboots became less frequent but they still happened frequently nonetheless.

In my searching online for helpful info, i came across the manual and was looking at the connections diagram and noticed instantly something i had overlooked when I plugged in my cx-919 initially: the side microUSB port specifically designated as the DC power connection. So, I had been powering via the OTG port all along. I was praying I found a solution at that point as i'd exhausted all others (including installing Finless ROM). and...did the trick for me. Having moved the power source to the DC MicroUSB my CX-919 has been rock solid, it's been up at least a week as of right now.

Just my experience, just in case it applied to you too.
              scaredwitless,

Thanks for the suggestion. I was using the right USB port to power it though. Good news. Got my replacement in today and guess what... no crashes running the Nexus ROM with Finless kernel and stock charger.

As mentioned, I purchased my unit from Amazon (via Geekbuying). I was able to ship mine back for free, get a full refund and get in a replacement in 4 business days. Amazon made this very easy. I paid a little more (in comparison to what it cost purchasing it straight from Geekbuying), but shipping was free for a 2 day shipment and return was no hassle.

This is definitely the way to go when it comes to dealing with China TV sticks. Just thought I'd mention that the QC on these units do vary, so if you're having issues with your unit and you've exhausted all basic troubleshooting options, you probably have a bad stick and should get it replaced ASAP (so there's no return/refund issues).

smithmal
              Last edited by smithmal; 08-08-2013, 17:27.

Comment

Where did you buy the Measy U2C-D dock from and how much did it cost? I was planning to buy one my self as i it's quite easy to turn off the unit without unplugging the cord itself.

TIA

Comment

Originally posted by tech4d View Post
                  Where did you buy the Measy U2C-D dock from and how much did it cost? I was planning to buy one my self as i it's quite easy to turn off the unit without unplugging the cord itself.

TIA
                  http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Measy-U2C--Best-Partner--USB-HDMI-DC-SD-Port-All-in-one-Dock--Stand-314556.html

USD = $13.89 with free shipping

smithmal

Comment

Thanks. Will order one. Did you get yours and how is it working out?

Comment

Originally posted by tech4d View Post
                      Thanks. Will order one. Did you get yours and how is it working out?
                      Ordered it on 7/20 and still waiting. Wish Geekbuying also offered this through Amazon. I will let you know how if functions once I receive it. You're right, the power button is a big plus. Also I'm looking forward to hooking up a USB HD to it and taking it for a spin.

smithmal

Comment

Originally posted by smithmal View Post
                        Ordered it on 7/20 and still waiting. Wish Geekbuying also offered this through Amazon. I will let you know how if functions once I receive it. You're right, the power button is a big plus. Also I'm looking forward to hooking up a USB HD to it and taking it for a spin.

smithmal

Quick review on the Measy UC2-

Received it but it was DOA on arrival. Geekbuying is now trying to stick me with the return shipment cost for a replacement.

My thoughts on the unit:

For the price, what you get is pretty impressive:
                        - Built-in SD card reader
                        - 2 USB ports
                        - Ethernet in port
                        - HDMI out port
                        - Power on/off switch (nice)

Price:
                        You're not going to find a dock with all of this for $14 anywhere. That being said, the dock does not come with a power adapter. I would have easily paid an extra $6 if it came with both. You will need a 5V 2A 3.5mm charger to power this dock. Luckily I had one from an old Ainol tablet I had.

Shipment:
                        Took 3 weeks, but I went with free shipping so I guess that was to be expected. Signature is required so I needed to either be home for the post man or hike up to the post office to receive it (which I did). The packaging was pretty sparse as Geekbuying used a shipping pack with thin bubble wrap built in. I noticed the dock's cardboard packaging was bent, but the dock itself did not seem to be outwardly damaged. I received it DOA so packaging may have something to do with this.

Quality:
                        All plastic and very light and cheap (but hey it is $14 after all). I have no idea how long this thing would hold up. The HDMI port that you insert the CX-919 into swivels, but due to it's port orientation you have to insert the CX-919 upside down. This is primarily a bad thing as the CX-919's antenna only swivels in one direction meaning that you'll have to point it down toward your table surface if you are going to extend it. As mentioned in other threads, the CX-919's antenna is not omni-directional so you may lose a good degree of WiFi signal because you can't orient the antenna properly.

When inserting the CX-919 into the HDMI port, it was a tight fit. When removing it, I noticed the actually port start to fall apart. Take home message on this is once you insert your stick into this, you better not be fussing around with it too much. Also, due to the weight of this dock, you're going to have some issues keeping it upright once you plug in your HDMI cable unless you somehow hold it down (I was thinking of using velcro myself). Aesthetically speaking, the white color of the dock does not work well with our black CX-919.

Functionality:
                        I never got a chance to test my USB powered drive nor the ethernet port. The SD card is nice I guess and would allow you to extend your storage space up to 64GB if you had the proper micro/SD card.

I'm expecting the replacement/refund process to be long and painful with Geekbuying. I wish they would have offered this unit on Amazon like they did with the CX-919 so that they kept a stock at the Amazon warehouses for easy shipping/return.

Alternative:
                        In the meantime, I think I'm going to give the Asus USB/Ethernet Hub a shot. This product can be had for cheap ($20), is covered by Amazon, free shipping (if you have a Prime subscription) and will allow me to have a nice hub for an external keyboard/mouse, USB drive as well as Ethernet access.

The HDMI functionality of the dock isn't really that valuable as you would need to run a cable either from the dock or the CX-919 to your TV. The only thing I'm missing would be a nice on/off button.

I'm thinking that getting a cable like this with a USB extension cable would do the trick.

smithmal
                        Last edited by smithmal; 08-28-2013, 23:34.

Comment

bought 13 of them in april zero problems

bought from dh gate when they first came out.

Comment

Working...
                          X