Polaroid PMID701C - Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polaroid PMID701C - Problem

I got this tablet, the 701C, at Big Lots (like everyone else lol). I thought it was virtually the same as the 700, so I tried to do the 1.4 root on it. I finally got the drivers to install, kind of. It gave an error and said it could not install these drivers, but still showed up as an RK29 device. I could not complete the next step because it would not go into recovery mode, no hard volume keys and tried every other combo of keys. It still boots fine, but now won't display the default programs, and won't connect to my wifi, whereas it had no problem with this prior. I just want to get it back to the way it was and wait for a 701C root. I guess I'm asking if anyone knows how to restore it to factory settings. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Nevermind, I figured it out. During one of the times I could actually get into the tablet, I went to Settings > Privacy > Factory Data Reset. This solved all problems I was having and completely reset it to out-of-the-box factory default. I redownloaded the handful of apps I'd gotten from amazon's appstore, resynced the email, and its back to how it was before I made an idiot out of myself lol. Figured I'd post this so if anyone else had a similar issue. Thanks everyone, and looking forward to an actual 701C root so I can install the android marketplace.

Comment

I was successfully able to install a working Android Market/Google play earlier today. Check out my post #15 here http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...ull=1#post6594 for how I did it. Not as good as root but it's a step forward.

Comment

This worked perfectly! Thank you!

Comment

No prob buddy

Comment

Hello!

It is nothing short of amazing what has been accomplished on these tablets by the members of the forum in only a few short days. At this rate, we'll have a custom ROM and a CyanogenMod-style recovery process for these things before we know it!

I have fired off a letter to Southern Telecom about their refusal to offer us the Android Market/Play Store. Once you install the Market/Play Store, you'll discover that a lot of the apps Google says are not compatible actually ARE. Unless/until ST works something out with Google about which REALLY aren't and which really ARE, you're going to have to obtain some of the apps you want from other sources.

I also asked for the current firmware for the PMID701C to be added to their support area, despite it already being pre-installed on the tablet. This is in case we - or one of our kids - forgets what swipe pattern they've programmed into the tablet.

AFAIK, the only way to recover from such a catastrophe is to reflash the tablet. If there's any other way, then, by all means, speak up. I, for one, am all ears.

I encourage you other owners to also write to these folks - to express your satisfactions with their product, and to express your concerns. If the wheel squeaks loudly enough, perhaps they'll grease it...

If you DO choose to write to them, be sure to send an email to [email protected]. The contact page on their website doesn't seem to want to work properly - even with the IE8 browser.

I thank the folks here, and elsewhere, who have helped me to accomplish pretty much everything I want to do with this tablet.

73 DE N4RPS
            Rob

Comment

You need to learn a little more about Google Play and how it works. The reason you get not compatible maybe 2 reasons.

1) The google play files you guys are using are not completely compatible. See my Google Play patch kit as a prime example! Before we were using these downloaded files and people were having all kinds of problems. Until I found the proper set. Since you guys now have SU and RW to /system, you could easily use my patch kit now. Good chance it solve most fo that for you!

2) Another reason in in your build.prop is what is called ro.fingerprint. This is used by Google to determine what you are. If your ID is not on Google list.... you get that. Since you guys are now rooted, you can change that to some other know device and these problems go away!

As for Polaroid doing anything about it. They choose to be able to give you a low cost pad by not paying money to get certified on Google Market. This is why your ro.fingerprint is unknown! Again easily changed

Bob
              "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
              "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
              "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
              "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
              "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
              "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
              "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
              "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
              "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

If you go to the Nextbook section, I posted a simple tutorial on how to edit your build.prop to reflect a Nexus S (which has Market access to most all Gingerbread apps). This edit should work on most tablets.

from my NB7 Finless 1.4 via Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ZonaMojo View Post
                  If you go to the Nextbook section, I posted a simple tutorial on how to edit your build.prop to reflect a Nexus S (which has Market access to most all Gingerbread apps). This edit should work on most tablets.

A buddy I work with has stated "if you can change your build.prop correctly" You can force and automatic update to honeycomb... Is that in any manner correct or even possible?

We have both been up till 2 or 3am everynight working on these and I think it might be getting to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Zarealius View Post
                    A buddy I work with has stated "if you can change your build.prop correctly" You can force and automatic update to honeycomb... Is that in any manner correct or even possible?

We have both been up till 2 or 3am everynight working on these and I think it might be getting to him.
                    No it is not. Only a ROM will do that. There are some phones out there that can from the manufacturer (A ROM update from them that gets pushed) but not through Google Market.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Zarealius View Post

I'm not sure about that. I guess you could find the build.prop on a Honeycomb and try. Just make sure you back-up your original build.prop.

Comment

I am positive about that. Gingerbread is a OS and so is Honeycomb. It is not just a set of applications! It is a new kernel and system files. Kernel updates is a ROM period. If you have /system froma honeycomb OS and replaced your /system with it, it would not boot! The kernel needs to support the system files.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                          I am positive about that. Gingerbread is a OS and so is Honeycomb. It is not just a set of applications! It is a new kernel and system files. Kernel updates is a ROM period. If you have /system froma honeycomb OS and replaced your /system with it, it would not boot! The kernel needs to support the system files.

Bob
                          Can we flash the kernel or it that not able to be RW'd?

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post

Bob
                            Thanks for the clarification Bob. I was almost going to try. You saved me from mega stress

Comment

Working...
                            X