Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tutorial/Tips on Patching Remote Control Compatibility from factory ROM to modded ROM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tutorial/Tips on Patching Remote Control Compatibility from factory ROM to modded ROM

Hi, I searched and so far didnt find a real tutorial or consistent answers on how to do this but it seems to be a common problem.

I have several boxes where remote compatibility is broken in a new flashed ROM and I'd like to fix it. Any advice?

-Firstly, and luckily, I have the factory ROMs and I know about using the Amlogic Customization Tool and know how to pack and repack, and copy files to/from.
    -Second, I have TWRP on all the boxes (I can flash IMGs with the USB burning tool, flash zips with TWRP, or copy/overwrite files with TWRP file manager)
    -Third, I already have the remote*.conf files from the original 100% working factory ROMs.

What I've tried so far:
    -copying over the original remote.conf files and overwriting them in the new ROM via root/TWRP - doesnt work, remote still broken
    -Copying over remote*.conf files and flashing BOOT.IMG from original rom. Remote works great but WiFi is now broken

So my question is what I need to do to just fix the remote compatibility since clearly I'm doing it all wrong. What files need to be replaced or edits made?

Thanks

Hi PaulieP ,

what is exactly your Problem , only some Buttons dont work or the hole Remote ??? ,

please use the "search" Function and u will find many Infos , i think u must change the

values from orgi. to modd. , i am not a Pro in that but many User have similar Probs . ,

what kind of Device do u use , what Rom ?

greetings

gefattern

Comment

When you copy the remote.conf file across, did you set the same permissions for the file you overwrote?
      R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

Originally posted by gefattern View Post
        Hi PaulieP ,

what is exactly your Problem , only some Buttons dont work or the hole Remote ??? ,

please use the "search" Function and u will find many Infos , i think u must change the

values from orgi. to modd. , i am not a Pro in that but many User have similar Probs . ,

what kind of Device do u use , what Rom ?

greetings

gefattern
        Whole remote doesnt work.

Not a specific device, I experiment with different ones both Rockchip and Amlogic all the time. I just need to understand the principles of patching remote capability to a new ROM / custom ROM / ROM from another box, if I have a full dump of an original working factory ROM available.

Yes there are people talking about having fixed it in some cases but there is nothing consistent explaining the entire process in detail from start to finish.

Comment

Originally posted by bluesmanuk View Post
          When you copy the remote.conf file across, did you set the same permissions for the file you overwrote?
          I dont remember if I did. However in the scenario where I copied it over, (not checking if permissions were set correctly), it didnt work, and then suddenly started working after I flashed the original boot.img from the working factory rom to go with it. Which then broke Wi-Fi in the new custom ROM (based off of a different box with same RTL8189 chipset).

So since it isn't as easy as just copying remote.conf's over, I'd rather understand how to go deeper to copy what I need over and/or make the right file edits.

Comment

My own experience with the AMLogic boxes has been that simply copying the original remote.conf file, setting the same permissions as the overwritten one and rebooting has always done the trick for me.

Comment

Hi to PaulieP & others ,

if bluesmanuk says it works this way i shall try it it .

good luck

gefattern

Comment

I've done it on 7 boxes to date with success.

But if it doesn't for some then it might point to something else that is altering or interfering with it's basic functionality that might be one for a dev to know more about.

Comment

Originally posted by bluesmanuk View Post
                  My own experience with the AMLogic boxes has been that simply copying the original remote.conf file, setting the same permissions as the overwritten one and rebooting has always done the trick for me.
                  Yeah it's strange, I did that both with TWRP, and also with recompiling the ROM with Customization Tool with having replaced the conf. file and didnt work. What did work was copying the conf file and also the boot.img from the original ROM - but the remote started working and the wifi stopped working.

So whatever it is, it's a combination of remote.conf and something within the boot.img. If I knew what, I could make the edits myself and repack boot.img...

Comment

I've never had to use TWRP to do it, just a file manager.

What is the permission of the file right now?

Should be Owner rw- Group r- Other r- which I think is either 664 or 644.

Comment

Working...
                    X