Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polaroid pmind701 USB host mode, any success?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polaroid pmind701 USB host mode, any success?

I have a OTG cable from another device not the offical one from the order form in the box.

*Now working* with a lexar 2gb thumb drive. It does not like my microSD adapter tho.

It *DOES* work with my USB mouse! The right button is BACK and the left side button is HOME. wheel button is MENU. neat-O!

update: USB keybpard working

update: USB ethernet adapter for the WII works!

It looked to me while poking around inside that it should be ready for other devices...

Bluetooth looked like it was #commented out tho.

Anyone else willing to share thier experiences?
    Last edited by notpod; 03-28-2012, 23:49.

Quite interested in geting a Bluetooth dongle working with this tablet. If that works I would imagine there is actually space inside the unit to solder it in as a permanent mod. Turn it on or off as needed with the OS.

First step is getting it or recognize the dongle. Where you say it looks like Bluetooth was commented out where was that so i can get in there and turn it back on.

Thanks!
    Biglots 701c
    Rooted - Super 1 Click
    Updated Google Play Store
    Phone.old
    SystemUi.apk Mod - Status Bar

Comment

should be possible

one of the things mentioned in the new onda firmwares was usb bluetooth support so i would imagine it is possible.

Comment

your ?: First step is getting it or recognize the dongle. Where you say it looks like Bluetooth was commented out where was that so i can get in there and turn it back on.

answer: One of the init.rc files in the in the boot partition.

Comment

Thx! Ill see what I can work out.

I cant even get it to light up a flash drive or the bluetooth adapter. No power to the USB devices.
          The adapter and cable do work with a PC though.

NVM I need the OTG cable. Will get one or make one.

Vid to make one
          Blog Article: http://www.sleeplessninja.com/?p=493You assume all responsibility. This is not easy if you never done before, you can potentially damage this ...
          Last edited by MasterR; 04-16-2012, 17:03.
          Biglots 701c
          Rooted - Super 1 Click
          Phone.old

Comment

Blue tooth on other ROMs I have worked on is not a generic on/off enable. E.g. if you insmod a BT.ko module into the kernel it doesnt mean it will work with every BT stick out there. You need to inject specific BT.ko modules to support specific chipsets. Usually a BT.ko module adds support for a specific manufacturers chip set and thus can cover many BT stick "manufacturers" that use that chipset.

This is pretty much the same with 3G/4G sticks as well. Kernel drivers need to be added if they are not there.

You add these drivers to the kernel in init.rc with insmod commands.

Bob
            "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
            "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
            "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
            "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
            "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
            "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
            "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
            "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
            "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Kinda of had a feeling. As with any other device its a driver for that "chipset" the key will be to find one that works, test it and hopefully get it installed internally as a mod to the table case. I not new to soldering in mods so I will have to see if the USB header has another available port first.

Thanks Bob for the confirmaiton.
              Biglots 701c
              Rooted - Super 1 Click
              Phone.old

Comment

i think the idea of hardware hacking this sounds really awesome...actually opening it up and soldering things to the mobo interests me. I will be watching out for this. With bluetooth support, this little tablet would do pretty much everything I want it to do.

Just FYI, I am able to use a usb keyboard, mouse, and flash drive with mine and they all work. I would like to try with a hub and see if they all would work at once.
                Polaroid PMID701i 13
                Stock Rom from S.T.'s site
                Fully rooted
                Google's Market installed

Comment

Originally posted by lukenova View Post
                  i think the idea of hardware hacking this sounds really awesome...actually opening it up and soldering things to the mobo interests me. I will be watching out for this. With bluetooth support, this little tablet would do pretty much everything I want it to do.

Just FYI, I am able to use a usb keyboard, mouse, and flash drive with mine and they all work. I would like to try with a hub and see if they all would work at once.
                  I suspect that if it works, you'll need a powered usb hub, like you do with some laptops and desktop systems and portable usb hard drives

Comment

I have a powered usb hub somewhere around here.. It's just a matter of actually finding it...

Sent from my Polaroid PMID701i using Tapatalk 2
                    Polaroid PMID701i 13
                    Stock Rom from S.T.'s site
                    Fully rooted
                    Google's Market installed

Comment

USBvKeyboard

I was looking at some folio cases with keyboards that require a USB 2.0 port - I know it is a micro-B connector on the tablet, but is there a converter available that would make this work?

Comment

Originally posted by notpod View Post
                        I have a OTG cable from another device not the offical one from the order form in the box. *Now working* with a lexar 2gb thumb drive. It does not like my microSD adapter tho. It *DOES* work with my USB mouse! The right button is BACK and the left side button is HOME. wheel button is MENU. neat-O! update: USB keybpard working update: USB ethernet adapter for the WII works! It looked to me while poking around inside that it should be ready for other devices... Bluetooth looked like it was #commented out tho. Anyone else willing to share thier experiences?
                        Curious. What's the model of the USB ethernet adapter for the WII which works? I think there were a couple of them, I 've got a NYKO Net Connect lying around.

Comment

I am pretty sure it is the NYKO....

I got it at the CircuitCity close sale back when that all went down.

Comment

Not Sure

Can any please give a link to where I can find an OTG cable/adapter, I looked at the ones on Amazon, but they don't look like the right micro end. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Android_n00b View Post
                              Can any please give a link to where I can find an OTG cable/adapter, I looked at the ones on Amazon, but they don't look like the right micro end. Thanks in advance.
                              Hello!

ST sells them. IIRC, they charge $10 for one, and are ordered by calling customer support.

73 DE N4RPS
                              Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X