Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to recover xcody x96 after installing twrp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to recover xcody x96 after installing twrp?

I have an xcody x96 2G/8G box I purchased from ****. I tried to replace android with libreelec as detailed in this post:

It booted into twrp from the sd card then I installed twrp as the recovery image. However when I tried to install libreelec I messed up and selected the wrong .zip file and the install process hung. Now the box reports the filesystems are corrupt at boot and for some reason I'm unable to boot into recovery mode (twrp) at all. I'm following the same process as before and using the same sd card (I've even tried a second one). I just get the 905x logo screen. Is there a way to recover this? I read somewhere that these could be recovered by usb even if the on-board flash/spi/whatever was corrupt. Can someone point me to instruction on how to do that and what image or images I need?

Thanks in advance.

OK, I found that if I copy the dtb.img file to the sd card it will boot into twrp again. However I'm still unable to install libreelec. I tried installing the .zip file but it reports numerous errors because the filesystem is corrupt and it's unable to find/mount the various (system/data) partitions. Is there a way to rebuild these from within twrp?

Comment

If it is a X96 as in my firmware post then you might be in trouble.
      The only way I know would be to use the burn tool from AMlogic to install a genuine firmware using USB.
      All normal updates and what TWRP can do is done without modifying partitions, so you can't fix them this way.
      Might I ask why you had to install onto the internal memory?
      A quick SD card or USB stick would have kept the system working as normal in dual boot mode.
      I see little to no difference in performance when using a SD for these things...

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize I could keep everything on the sd card and run from there. I was trying to follow the instructions from the link above to install libreelec. If I can get to a linux shell I should be able to rebuild the partitions using fdisk or parted or whatever. What partitions does libreelec require (I don't want to run android so no need for all it's partitions)? Also do you know where to get the usb download tool and how to get it to connect to one of these boxes? I read a thread somewhere about randomly shorting pins 'til it showed up on the host but I don't want to just randomly short things.

Comment

All I needed was a micro USB cable with the adapter from my card reader to get connected.
          The burn tool can be found through Google quite easy, just search for "amlogic usb burn tool" and you should get plenty of hits.
          I used a 2.4 version if I remember correctly but there is newer versions available.

Comment

Working...
          X