Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Minix Neo X5 (0807) and X5 mini (0809) Firmware at Minix.com.hk official site (09/08/2013)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official Minix Neo X5 (0807) and X5 mini (0809) Firmware at Minix.com.hk official site (09/08/2013)

Hi, I'm new on the forum, I'm a geek and love this devices. I will try from now on to collaborate here on the forum with good and up-2-date info whenever I can. Pardon my Enlgish as it's not my main language.

Here is the comment from Minix (09/08/2013):
    "This FW fixes problems mentioned by customers upon the release of the original 4.2 FW last week."

Official Link for Neo X5: NEO X5-116A 4.2.2 FW Release (0807)
    Official Link for Neo X5 MINI: NEO X5mini 4.2.2 FW Release (0809)

Minix Neo G4 firmware comment: "NEO G4 4.2 FW will be released this month, just not this week." I just hope they release it fast as Im desperate to try it on my device. 4.2.2 firmware apparently fixes brightness bug (which I found really anoying since 4.0.4 firmware and saw it at first glance, specially on play store) and smooths video playback.

I wish someone makes a custom rom using (0809) as a base for G4/X5/X5mini/808/808B and allmost all RK3066 android sticks as this Minix firmwares are really REALLY good!

Official Link for Remote App: MINIX Android Remote App V2.0.3
    Latest and greatest MX Player (use NEON): https://sites.google.com/site/mxvpen/download
    Latest and greatest (14/07/2013) libstagefright XBMC, which now has been merged onto official XBMC development!: xbmc-20130714-6ec63cd-adddroidlibstagefright-armeabi-v7a.apk

Minix Official Site: http://www.minix.com.hk/Support.htm
    Minix Official Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/minixtech
    Minix Unofficial Forum: http://www.minixforums.com/

I don't know why http://www.minixforums.com/ says unnoficial since it's the only place to find official beta or 1080p firmwares. Also it's the only place currently that have Neo X7 1080p firmware.

Another comment of my own: 1080p framebuffer firmware on RK3066 it's so slow its unusable. I tried every 1080p firmware I could and they are all slow as hell (official or custom). So dont waste your time trying 1080p firmwares: games play slow, videos dont play smooth, web browsing is slow, interface lags. RK3066 is not good with 1080p period. I just hope that RK3188 can handle 1080p framebuffer good (My MK908 and Minix Neo X7 are on the way).

Well, that's all, enjoy!
    Last edited by ochentay4; 08-09-2013, 14:22.

Welcome, ochentay4. Great first post.

Though the firmware may not be worth flashing:

From X5_4.2.2 20130807 readme.txt
    MINIX NEO X5 20130807 (version 003) 4.2.2 firmware
    Release Date: 2013-08-09

Change log:

1.) Fixed soft power button bug.

=========================================
    So it probably doesn't fix *any* of the problems I saw. *THAT* wasn't one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by sweller View Post
      Welcome, ochentay4. Great first post.

Though the firmware may not be worth flashing:

From X5_4.2.2 20130807 readme.txt
      MINIX NEO X5 20130807 (version 003) 4.2.2 firmware
      Release Date: 2013-08-09

Change log:

1.) Fixed soft power button bug.

=========================================
      So it probably doesn't fix *any* of the problems I saw. *THAT* wasn't one of them.
      It would be great for all of us if you:
      1. Post here all the bugs you noticed on 0730 firmware.
      2. Check if they are fixed or not in 0807 or 0809 depending on the device you have.

Comment

Originally posted by ochentay4 View Post
        It would be great for all of us if you:
        1. Post here all the bugs you noticed on 0730 firmware.
        For me the show stopper was it disabled my ethernet port and random reboots. XBMC doesn't seem too fond of it either, unless you use the Rockchip player. I also noticed PlayStore incompatibilities. Easy fix, but it shouldn't be broken.

Reports from others HERE:

"Anyone has a good solution to that annoying status bar? There seems to be no more option to auto hide it... Minix?"

"However, the Ethernet MAC ID is not longer static on the 4.2.2 firmware. It changes at every boot."

"I also noticed the IP address changes after reboots, guess that's due to MAC address not static."

"Power Button on Statusbar = Crash -->> Reboot"
        "Power Button on Remote Control = Crash -->> Reboot"
        "Air Instable"
        "Miracast Instable"

"- Still no support for DTS pass through."

Those were from just the first two pages of comments. This is the one that slams the door IMHO...

(MINIX) "As said before, the 4.1.1 is a very matured system,
        4.2.2 itself is not really so great [yet] (in terms of compatibility),
        so please make your own decision about the choice of firmware,
        we provided both this time."

Originally posted by ochentay4 View Post
        2. Check if they are fixed or not in 0807 or 0809 depending on the device you have.
        If that's how MiniX feels about it, I have no further interest in it. But everyone should decide for themselves. You can continue to follow the reports in the thread I linked above.

EDIT: Maybe Bob or Lewy can do something with it!

Comment

Thank you

Many thanks for bringing very useful information at ONE place :-)

I am trying to find the most useful version of XBMC for the Minix X5. You posted a link to the 14/7/2013 version. Is it the best one you have used up to now? Does it play 1080p movies smoothly?

I have used the 4.2.2 firmware (not the 0809) and I was kind of disappointed. The FW is not stable. I am going back to 4.1.1.

Cheers,

T.

Comment

I have used every firmware that has been released or custom made for the x5 and they all had problems.The best and most stable firmware that I tried was the 1.2b from Finless Bob but he is to busy with quad cores to add any of the new features to his rom (Even though he said months ago that he would)so I had to trysomething else to get smoother video updates and surround sound.I tried the new 4.1.1 and it wasnt terrible but would lock up a lot and I couldnt use a lot of apps with it because it says device not compatible.My wife couldnt even play candy crush saga even though it worked fine on all other firmwares.So I tried the 4.2.2 and liked it but now when it locks up ,the screen is filled with colorand it happens more often.The funny thing is that with 4.2 candy crush works but now apps like I Heart Radio say not compatible.AAll the custom roms fix this but Minix wont in their Roms.The latest I have been using is the BorgDroid Rom thru CWM.It is basicly the newest 4.2.2 rom that has been rooted and made CWM flashable.I have had no freezes and everything is fast and working good,Finally.There is a version of XBMC that has been modified to work with pass thru and a pass thru patch that I am using(available on Minixforums.com)and now my whole system is doing what I wanted it to do.If I just knew how to change the play store compatible issue I would not need anything else fixed on this box.I dont need 1080 like most people complain about because the 720 roms are faster and more stable and on my 60 inch tv 720 looks awesome.There is not enough improvement in picture quality to be worth the losses .720 makes dvds look like old analog tv.So thats my experience with x5.

Comment

Originally posted by ronnietibe View Post
              If I just knew how to change the play store compatible issue ...
              To fix compatibility issues, you should be able to copy a build.prop that works. I quote Finless here:

"3) Build.prop edit to open up the Google Play store to APPs that normally say "not compatible".
              I am spoofing a Samsung device that will show almost any APP as compatible.
              Your device will show up in google play as NOT a Minix device! Understand this please.
              I also left the original buiild.prop in the ROM called build.orig.
              If you want to go back, just use ES or a root file explorer and rename build.prop to build.old
              Then rename build.orig to build.prop.
              Go into settings, apps, all and go into the Google Play app. Clear the cache and data.
              Reboot! You should be back to showing up as a Minis Nexo X5."

EDIT: IMHO, dual cores are probably dead. Quads are already showing up on Amazon Prime for half what I paid for the X5 earlier THIS YEAR! I can build a PC that's future resistant for under $300, which I'm seriously considering...

Comment

Working...
              X