• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debloat & Performance Tweak's for the H96 Pro+

Here's a quick guide how to debloat your H96 Pro+

Everything is optional
    This works fine but if you blow up your box dont come crying to me

Update to the latest Firmware (at the time of writing that's)
    aml_7.1.2_s912_q9377-H96PROPLUS_KDMC_mac-20170826 for the H96 Pro+ Branded Firmware
    aml_7.1.2_s912_q9377-S912_KDMC_mac-20171010 for the H96 Pro+ Unbranded Firmware

There's also an optional H96 Pro+ Unbranded firmware with the H96 Pro+ Splash Inserted
    aml_7.1.2_s912_q9377-S912_KDMC_mac-20171010_H96PROPLUS_LOGO

I unpacked the 20171010 primary image and without touching anything
    replaced logo.PARTITION with the logo.PARTITION from 20170826

I advise if you are already on 7.x.x to use the sd card method its the easiest

Firmware Tools & Launchers etc. can be downloaded here
    MEGA provides free cloud storage with convenient and powerful always-on privacy. Claim your free 20GB now

Use your file manager of choice (I use FileManager Pro 1.16.9)
    Can be downloaded from the Various Folder in the link if you require it (make sure you enable root explorer and writable in settings)

Delete the following
    /system/app/TestAddon.apk (apk that installs /system/media/org.xbmc.kodi.zip addons)
    /system/app/AppInstaller
    /system/app/Gmail2
    /system/app/PPPoE
    /sytem/app/SubTitle (using a constant 12% or so cpu time then another 12% or so on the system log)
    /system/presinstall = all deleted apart from youtube.apk (get anything you want from the store)
    /system/media/org.xbmc.kodi.zip = deleted (70mb zip of addons for kodi that get force installed on every reset)
    /system/priv-app/DLNA
    /system/tts/lang_pico/ (all deleted apart from gb and us)

build.prop tweaks
    ro.product.model=H96 PRO+ (if using the generic S912 Firmware)
    ro.product.locale=en-GB (Change to your region)
    ro.wifi.channels=13
    #ro.platform.keepbackground.app=com.droidlogic.PPP oE
    #ro.net.pppoe=true
    #ro.com.android.dateformat=MM-dd-yyyy
    #ro.platform.has.pppoe=true

If you duel boot to LibreElec from sd card
    I advise You freeze MediaProvider (Media Storage 7.1.2 in Titanium backup) If you dont freeze it the service spends 15 mins + thrashing the LibreElec SD
    every boot and uses around 15% cpu time doing it (scanning for pictures for the gallery)

hosts file replaced to block ad's in apps (its In Various Folder in the link))
    /system/etc/hosts
    dont forget to set permissions
    -rw-r--r--

Change your launcher (Choice Below)
    http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...-pro-launchers

Then reset to factory defaults after doing this

I have confirmed via ssh that straight after a reboot
    the device sits at 0% cpu use with no stray processes (unlike before the debloat)

Click image for larger version  Name:	CPU.png Views:	1 Size:	30.9 KB ID:	678032
    Last edited by Shonk; 10-19-2017, 04:13.

Does removing bloatware reduce the thermal heat and improve cpu+ram usage? My box keeps heating up to 70celcius when watching movies at 1080p. It goes down to 55 when idle.

Comment

@ Shonk,

Good info. Question about removing Subtitle service. Does this affect subtitles in movies(MX Player) or is it more as a caption service for Youtube?
      Also wondered about PPPoE for a while now, in your build prop keepbackground.app" and it = "true", has no wasted search i/o ?

Comment

Working...
      X