What is the point of RK3188?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the point of RK3188?

Could never get Netflix and XMBC to work as expected on my 808B so assumed that the upgrade of hardware would help resolve the issues.

I am sure most people will be using these stick for the purpose of watching and streaming movies being high on their want list.

Why am I still sitting pumping various ROM's and Kernels into this thing in a pitiful attempt to finally finding that golden fleece !

After shelling out more money and time and effort I seem to be 1 step forward and 3 step back.

Netflix is constantly crashing and skipping really badly and XBMC is a joke and just resets itself

All in all i am out more $ for a worse performance. No point getting 16400 in antutu if the bloody thing isnt functional in the most basic of uses

netflix has issues On all versions of android post 4.0
    rockchip isn't to blame
    also if you look in the right places its perfectly possible to get netflix to run I have it running on my MK908 running the latest tronsmart rom + hobycsr's noop-speedy-1080 kernel device
    runs flawless iv had it up for nearly 24H now and it hasn't rebooted once

doesn't even get warm with my cooling mods XMBC also works if you install the right APK
    I played an hour of 1080P video off a SLOW SD card with very minimal stutter
    the real issue with these devices is the cooling and power supply they give you if you don't do something about them you are gonna have issues
    current devices(rockchip sucks)
    Hardkernel ODROID C1 running android kitkat
    Hardkernel ODROID XU3-L Running Linux/openelec (primary media server)
    rPi model B+ running nothing ... bricked

Comment

Strange.

Not saying your wrong. But I own three different devices running JB4.2...That does not include my cx919. I have no issues with the two tablets and one phone. But, the cx919...well netflix mostly works.. and why do I have to buy another ps.? I think he is just saying. Why am I required to do all of this? Just to stream a decent video..So if rc is not the fault? Then who or what is? Anyway Im glad it works for you. But just reading about everything that you had to do. To get it that way exhausted me..lol. For some of us. Its fun. For others..not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by peety View Post
        Not saying your wrong. But I own three different devices running JB4.2...That does not include my cx919. I have no issues with the two tablets and one phone. But, the cx919...well netflix mostly works.. and why do I have to buy another ps.? I think he is just saying. Why am I required to do all of this? Just to stream a decent video..So if rc is not the fault? Then who or what is? Anyway Im glad it works for you. But just reading about everything that you had to do. To get it that way exhausted me..lol. For some of us. Its fun. For others..not so much.
        you can not buy a device like this from china AND NOT expect to _need_ to fix it
        nothing against the Chinese but "quality" isn't something you generally get especially at a sub 100.00 USD price point
        if you wanted something that "just works" then you should not have bought a Android device especially not one who's core SOC hasn't even been out a full 6 months yet it will be a year or so before kernel devs get the code tuned up to a usable state for the new hardware
        and yes at this point replacing the power supply and doing some kind of cooling mod is absolutely necessary for the majority of theses devices

Comment

ôYea

Yea. No offense again. But Ive heard this explanation before.. My answer to that is yes I can. I myself have no problem with (fixing) Its issues. But come on.Read the advertisements.
          Can you honestly say you got what was promised? If you say yes. Then Il walk away. There is no point in a debate..From the fake reviews to the false advertising to seemingly endless defense of the companys and products. Its a friggin fairy tale. So, let me guess. Your saying its the customers who bought the stick that are the problem? I give up. Im tired of seeing every individual who speaks out on it get ripped. Yea sure its our/thier fault. What will the excuse be when there are six cores, three gigs of ram, Key lime..ect. Sorry but this reasoning holds no water.

Comment

Yea. No offense again. But Ive heard this explanation before.. My answer to that is yes I can. I myself have no problem with (fixing) Its issues. But come on.Read the advertisements.
            Can you honestly say you got what was promised? If you say yes. Then Il walk away. There is no point in a debate..From the fake reviews to the false advertising to seemingly endless defense of the companys and products. Its a friggin fairy tale. So, let me guess. Your saying its the customers who bought the stick that are the problem? I give up. Im tired of seeing every individual who speaks out on it get ripped. Yea sure its our/thier fault. What will the excuse be when there are six cores, three gigs of ram, Key lime..ect. Sorry but this reasoning holds no water.
            no I can't but then again I didn't expect to because I did my research before buying I knew it was gonna take some work before it would be usable

Comment

Its ok then.

Originally posted by Legitsu View Post
              no I can't but then again I didn't expect to because I did my research before buying I knew it was gonna take some work before it would be usable
              No you cant says it all. I too did research. Most people do. Im ok with fixing it. But the point is. Alot of people were simply mislead. If anyone was gullible....sorry I will not put blame on them. Thats not where it belongs. If my morals are set to high. Im ok with it. But I will not drink this kool aid. So, we disagree and I will leave it at that.

Comment

Re: What is the point of RK3188?

If you look for a device just plug and play, better buy a htpc with windows (with Linux you will need to tune it too), electrical consumption is x4 and need more space, and x3 or more money.
                This devices are really good for the price.
                Need to change the stock PSU? Yes in almost all situations.
                Need you to install custom roms? Yes in most situations.
                Maybe a cooling mod? Yes if you want oc and better stability.
                There are box instead of sticks with better heat dissipation. I can't test the new Minix X7, but I think that is a good device. It just has been released, but in a few weeks I am sure that it will be a very good device. We, in a few months have got an improvement of 100% in our sticks thanks to some people who is working for free to improve this devices, phjanderson find the fix to video skipping and he shares his code with us, strauzo made a fix for dome other devices too, some people are porting Linux to this devices, some shares easy mods with us to improve heat dissipation, some working in custom kernels, some making custom roms, etc...
                In a couple of months I am sure we will have great devices.
                I am using my mk808b with a external hard disk and an cheap ir keyb+touchpad to download with ttorrent pro, and reproducing with mxplayer, surf in the net in the TV, and I am happy with it.

leolas
                REMEMBER, YOUR FEEDBACK IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US.
                My devices:
                Minix Neo X7; Minix Neo X8-H , Minix Neo Z64W & Z64 (Sponsored by Minix)
                MK902 & MK902II(Sponsored by RKM)
                Beelink M8B & Beelink R89 (Sponsored by Beelink)
                Tronsmart VEGA S89H (Sponsored by
                Gearbest.com)
                MELE-PCG03 (Sponsored by Gearbest.com) Discount Coupon:MPCG03
                Ainol Intel Z3735 MiniPC(Sponsored by Gearbest.com)
                Thanks to them I can try to support your devices http://freaktab.com/core/images/smilies/wink.png

Comment

Originally posted by leolas View Post
                  If you look for a device just plug and play, better buy a htpc with windows (with Linux you will need to tune it too), electrical consumption is x4 and need more space, and x3 or more money.
                  This devices are really good for the price.
                  Need to change the stock PSU? Yes in almost all situations.
                  Need you to install custom roms? Yes in most situations.
                  Maybe a cooling mod? Yes if you want oc and better stability.
                  There are box instead of sticks with better heat dissipation. I can't test the new Minix X7, but I think that is a good device. It just has been released, but in a few weeks I am sure that it will be a very good device. We, in a few months have got an improvement of 100% in our sticks thanks to some people who is working for free to improve this devices, phjanderson find the fix to video skipping and he shares his code with us, strauzo made a fix for dome other devices too, some people are porting Linux to this devices, some shares easy mods with us to improve heat dissipation, some working in custom kernels, some making custom roms, etc...
                  In a couple of months I am sure we will have great devices.
                  I am using my mk808b with a external hard disk and an cheap ir keyb+touchpad to download with ttorrent pro, and reproducing with mxplayer, surf in the net in the TV, and I am happy with it.

leolas
                  I should point out I had a similar thread to this which raised a few opinions so probably covering old ground. I was simply expresssing continued frustration in that even though I have upgraded and invested more £'s we are no closer to getting a better product.

I know you guys are working hard on these sticks but consumers are still getting flipped over and done dry on this.

The stick manufacturers continue to ignore the feedback system and worse still blazingly advertise their products as compatible with XBMC and Netflix in full knowledge that is not the case.

So the lad above citing research and the usual rhetoric I see from fanboyz really is not helping anyone other than the perpetuating the miselling of a flawed product.

I have been a stick owner for some months now and continue to be hugely frustrated at the chaos surrounding these sticks.

BTW Can i bend your ear and ask what Rom/Kernel and any other tips you can give me for the mk808B?

Comment

Nail Head On Hit

Comment

Originally posted by AlbaJoe View Post
                      I should point out I had a similar thread to this which raised a few opinions so probably covering old ground. I was simply expresssing continued frustration in that even though I have upgraded and invested more £'s we are no closer to getting a better product.

I know you guys are working hard on these sticks but consumers are still getting flipped over and done dry on this.

The stick manufacturers continue to ignore the feedback system and worse still blazingly advertise their products as compatible with XBMC and Netflix in full knowledge that is not the case.

So the lad above citing research and the usual rhetoric I see from fanboyz really is not helping anyone other than the perpetuating the miselling of a flawed product.

I have been a stick owner for some months now and continue to be hugely frustrated at the chaos surrounding these sticks.

BTW Can i bend your ear and ask what Rom/Kernel and any other tips you can give me for the mk808B?
                      il tread on the ground of being a bit racist for a second
                      what do you expect from a lower-tier Chinese manufacture they don't even know what netflix is and I am pretty sure they barely know what XBMC is this is what you can expect when you order products directly from the China it just doesn't work there very little law enforcement over there the work conditions are shit. and the majority of there workforce is fairly uni-skilled ...
                      and to add insult to injury a good portion(NOT ALL OF THEM MIND YOU) of the people that sell to the rest of the world are just plain dishonest

Comment

il tread on the ground of being a bit racist for a second
                        what do you expect from a lower-tier Chinese manufacture they don't even know what netflix is and I am pretty sure they barely know what XBMC is one does not simply... get quality products directly from the Chinese ... don't like it don't buy it that simple
                        @mods close this thread pleast =/
                        LOL your posting is as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbaJoe View Post
                          LOL your posting is as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.
                          its the truth sorry the truth hurts, also I have a ashtry on my motorcycle you mean you don't ?
                          ANYBODY that ordered one of these devices and Expected it to work as it was advertised out of the box needs to have there IQ checked come on people get real you should know when something seems to good to be true IT usually is
                          a Android Device that plays 1080P video OUT OF THE BOX WITH no modification for under

100.00USD Right next ill believe you can buy a car that goes 180MP/h seats 8 and gets 30MPG
                          for 500.00 bucks Silly people expecting not to be lied to pffff

Comment

its the truth sorry the truth hurts, also I have a ashtry on my motorcycle you mean you don't ?
                            ANYBODY that ordered one of these devices and Expected it to work as it was advertised out of the box needs to have there IQ checked come on people get real you should know when something seems to good to be true IT usually is
                            OK perhaps I do you a disservice.

Your posts are as useful as a chocolate toothbrush

Comment

The marketing guys prey on the gullible public. As do the lotteries...Getting a android device that does what it says on there site :-)
                              ( is like winning the lotterie)

i posted that remark a week ago... after getting mad
                              near by a online store opened...stating the same info as the chinees resellers (fullhd 1080/4k rk3188 1.8ghz +double priced)
                              i stated the true story on there product feedback.. it got removed.. i asked for site removel ( consumer report)
                              the site (eu) is now... updating its info

the lies must end.. at the chinees border

i do agree....
                              these 'mini pc' are great... i rarly use my pc anymore
                              i had several htpc atom pc's before going Arm... and Arm is better then intels atom line

but... my first Ad-stick... (single core ) could do :
                              play 1080p using xaf build on 720 kernel
                              but dolfin and veetle crashed alot... me thinking its the 512mb ram...

3066... dual the performents....still same issues
                              3188... X performents... same issues... 2 years have past!

still reading.. bugy roms, bad wifi, 720 kernel... Bs
                              do these devices ever get tested? prior to selling them..
                              When do we get... where we paid for....?
                              Last edited by mitchell4you; 08-15-2013, 01:03. Reason: im ranting...ohhh... no

Comment

Working...
                              X